Alright so I'm adding a active pickup to my guitar, and I'm pretty much rewiring the whole damn thing now so I figured "Alright while I'm taking the whole damn thing apart I might as well will repaint it and shield it".

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to shield a guitar. I've dug into it online a bit and all I know is you can either use tinfoil or copper to line the cavity the electronics are in.

How do you actually keep the tinfoil/copper attached to the cavity without falling out?

Do I need to shield the active and hummbucker pickup, or just the wiring cavity.

Anything else I need to know about this crap?
i always buy the stuff that comes with the adhesive on the back of it already. Like tape but with the copper lining
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
How do you actually keep the tinfoil/copper attached to the cavity without falling out?

spray adhesive is easiest way to go, or some other glue, but it'd be messier.

Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Do I need to shield the active and hummbucker pickup, or just the wiring cavity.

Unless you got single coils you don't need to sheild at all. ever.
Quote by GandalfWh1te

Unless you got single coils you don't need to sheild at all. ever.

I heard it killed some unwanted noise, and you typically shield cavity with the wires in them since they aren't protected.. Also the guitar is pretty old (19 years) so the protective stuff they wrapped the pickups in is pretty much worthless now.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Dec 27, 2011,
You don't need to shield with actives
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I heard it killed some unwanted noise, and you typically shield cavity with the wires in them since they aren't protected..

Not sure what you mean. Think of shielding like the metal enclosure of an effects pedal. The only wire attached to the enclosure is the ground, everything else is isolated.

Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Also the guitar is pretty old (19 years) so the protective stuff they wrapped the pickups in is pretty much worthless now.

I'd be amazed if you could notice a difference with humbuckers. They tend to buck the hum pretty good lol.

If you had unwanted noise before, rewiring everything is much more likely to solve the problem.

And yes, you connect the bridge wire into the shielding.
Quote by GandalfWh1te
Not sure what you mean. Think of shielding like the metal enclosure of an effects pedal. The only wire attached to the enclosure is the ground, everything else is isolated.

I mean where the potentiometers, output jack, wires are.

Quote by GandalfWh1te
I'd be amazed if you could notice a difference with humbuckers. They tend to buck the hum pretty good lol.

If you had unwanted noise before, rewiring everything is much more likely to solve the problem.

And yes, you connect the bridge wire into the shielding.

Yeah I just thought this might be a good idea to do after I saw this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ohqmX6WvM&feature=plcp&context=C39d1b56UDOEgsToPDskKeTzF6ba-zmbaUc9hAjJDk

I mean I'm repainting the guitar anyways it couldn't hurt, and if I ever get the chance to play live I don't want to constantly be having to hold the neck, like in between songs or something.

Quote by Kyleisthename
You don't need to shield with actives

One's a humbucker that had the protective tape on the outside of it pretty much fall apart because it's so old.

Quote by Ippon

I will look into dis.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Dec 28, 2011,