I know this has been asked a lot here but I have a spin on it SO HERE ME OUT! If I were to output the bass from the guitar amp to say my computer speakers or 5.1 surround sound which both have subwoofers would I be okay until I can afford a decent bass amp? The general consensus seem to be that the amp will be okay but the speakers may become damaged with enough high volume use. So with subwoofers, would that void that hypothesis or am I clear out in the left field. Also, I've read that electric guitars in a bass amp are fine but would I be losing any tone quality? Thanks.
That's what I did. It blew up my computers sound card when I tried recording though, so I'd just stick with speakers.
it's a risk only in that it's small speakers, not designed for that use. I'd keep the volume quite low, and keep it clean no overdrive or heavy effects.
The biggest problem is that the computer is receiving a mono or stereo signal, so will likely play back a stereo or mono signal, which will most probably not go to your woofer. If you can get the computer to separate the signal into highs and lows and send them where they belong, then it MIGHT work, but I wouldn't recommend it. As for guitar in a bass amp, yes it will work, and better than bass through a guitar amp, but still, if your going for a combo may not be a good idea.
Bleh. Is there no such an amp that can handle bass/guitar with no loss of tone on either side? I can't seem to find anything like that on musicians friend.
Quote by cuber351
Bleh. Is there no such an amp that can handle bass/guitar with no loss of tone on either side? I can't seem to find anything like that on musicians friend.

You won't "lose" tone playing guitar through a bass amp or cab. Playing through a bass amp or a guitar amp with a bass cab will certainly sound different, but whether that's negative or not is up to you. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
^If its good enough for B.B. King well, you can fill in the rest. Alot of blues players played through those Fender Bassman amps.
You can usually find a bass practice amp in a pawnshop for under $60 before haggling, and probably $30-$40 when your done. All these crazy questions have answers, but not ever in the realm people here ask about. Yes Josh Homme played through a 8x10 fridge, and every blues guy has a 50 watt bassman head of some iteration and that would sound nice, but You are playing into a computers subwoofer and tweeters and squawker speakers is not the same. Check the wattage matching, impedance matching as well, and you'll need some 1/8" or din to 1/4" adapters maybe as well.