Hey all, for Xmas I got a Barnes and Noble gift card from an aunt. I don't really read that much. But I read Weiland's Not Dead and Not For Sale and would like to read more autobiographies/memoirs of musicians.
I've heard Duff McKagan's It's So Easy is pretty good. Your thoughts? Any others worth mentioning? I am planning on hearing some interesting ones from the pit
Ian Curtis.
Biography.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I just finished Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis' autobiography. The pacing of the book could be better, but overall I really enjoyed it. Then again, I'm a big RHCP fan.

I read Slash like 5 years ago, and I really liked it too.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Dec 27, 2011,
Dave Mustaine's book is fantastic.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Steven Adler's auto biography is a great read if you like GnR.
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Clapton
Scar Tissue (fucking great)
The Heroin Diaries
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I read part of Clapton. It was a few years ago when I was in like 7th grade so I should probably pick it up again. It's in the house somewhere!
Marilyn Manson's is pretty good, can't remember the name of it though
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by MusicMan24
Marilyn Manson's is pretty good, can't remember the name of it though

I might have to check this out. Especially coming from a fellow Packer fan!
Most rockstars' memoirs aren't books so much as they're big piles of literary shit. Washed up heroin junkies aren't too good at moonlighting as authors, don'tcha know. There are exceptions: I'm pretty sure Joe Queer is writing an autobiography, which should be cool. Also check out Get in the Van and, if you're a Bob Dylan fan, Chronicles: Volume One. He's got an interesting voice.
Ozzy's was pretty cool.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by due 07
Most rockstars' memoirs aren't books so much as they're big piles of literary shit. Washed up heroin junkies aren't too good at moonlighting as authors, don'tcha know.

This.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
This.

That.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
'I Am Ozzy' was really good. My only complaint was the he only mentions Zakk like twice within the entire thing. I was hoping to see more stories between them. Aside from the time they threw a TV out of a hotel window, there wasn't much Zakk material...but there were tons of hilarious early Sabbath stories. I cracked me up. There is also a really detailed version of the story of Randy's death, from Ozzy's perspective, of course. It's certainly worth the 10 bucks I paid for it at Books-A-Million.

I'm also getting ready to pick up Tony Iommi's book. I hear it's great.
Last edited by p_a_morgan at Dec 27, 2011,
Keith Richard's book is my favourite autobiography. It could've been more detailed, but it's awesome nonetheless. When you read it, it's like he's talking to you in person. Quite funny at times as well.
Nikki Sixx's books, Slash, I Am Ozzy, Off The Rails..., Thin White Line, Mustaine, My Appetite for Destruction, Tommyland, The Dirt (my personal favorite), Walk This Way, Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?, Tattoos & Tequila. Those are the ones I liked. Thought Clapton and Rolling Stones were boring.

Looking forward to getting Iron Man, Rockers and Rollers, and It's So Easy.
Brian May
Dave Grohl

I've read a lot more I just can't remember. I love reading books like these though.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by bastards
Clapton
Scar Tissue (fucking great)
The Heroin Diaries

Quote by Lagunaguitar
I read part of Clapton. It was a few years ago when I was in like 7th grade so I should probably pick it up again. It's in the house somewhere!

Clapton was a VERY good read.
Agreed with Ozzy and Dave Mustaine's. Both great books. I loved John Lennon's as well.

Edit: Didn't pay attention to the title. Lennon's isn't an autobiography, but its still good.
Northern wind take my song up high
To the hall of glory in the sky
So its gates shall greet me open wide
When my time has come to die
Last edited by Shadowspawn16 at Dec 28, 2011,
Slash. Although Mustaine, Hughes, and Iommi are on my reading list.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Another one for Scar Tissue.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Tony Iommi's is really good. Slash, Keith Richards, Clapton and Steven Adler's were also good.

If you like him then Chuck Berry's is quite good too.

I might pickup I am Ozzy at some point.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by hawk5211
Clapton was a VERY good read.

I read Clapton in school and visualizing the death of his kid broke my little heart ._.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I never read them. I got tons of biographies, Smiths, Doherty, Keith Richards, Guns N' Roses etc. They just don't interest me for some reason.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Steven Tyler's 'Does the noise in my head bother you?' is the favourite that I've read. The stories weren't as interesting as Slash, but he explains his way of thinking, talks more about songwriting and has a really interesting philosophy
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Quote by gquady09
Dave Mustaine's book is fantastic.

I read it and it did nothing but make me dislike him even more.
Quote by RGallagherFan
Keith Richard's book is my favourite autobiography. It could've been more detailed, but it's awesome nonetheless. When you read it, it's like he's talking to you in person. Quite funny at times as well.

This. A masterpiece. Read it guys.
My top 4:

- So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star: How I Machine-Gunned a Roomful of Record Executives and Other True Tales from a Drummer's Life by Jacob Schlichter.

Don’t disqualify this book because it’s not a rock biography! Jacob Schlichter was the drummer for Semisonic, who had a smash hit in the 90s called “Closing Time,” and then they promptly fell off the face of the earth. This books details the lifecycle of a one-hit wonder band: their start, their discovery, their rise, their peak, and their denouement. It talks about radio promotion, dealing with record executives, touring with egotistical headliners, and other “peek behind the curtain” moments that professional musicians experience. It’s a witty and fascinating read and, as a result, it’s my favorite “rock book.”

- The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band by Motley Crue and Neil Strauss

This is the quintessential rock biography. I would encourage you to read this one last because, more than likely, every other book is going to let you down in comparison. Neil Strauss is a great writer that knows how to appropriately combine the raunchy with the funny and the insane with the inane. Prepare to do nothing else until you’ve finished reading this book.

- Drinking with Strangers: Music Lessons from a Teenage Bullet Belt by Butch Walker and Matt Diehl
Butch Walker is a singer, a songwriter, and a producer. He started by forming an 80s hair metal band, then a pop-rock band that never made it, and then launched a solo career. He’s also written chart-topping songs for Avril Lavigne, Pink, Bowling for Soup, SR-71, Weezer, Dashboard Confessionals, and more. This is another book that tells a fascinating story but also dives into the business side of record companies, recording deals, songwriting royalties, and whatnot. Forget that you’ve probably never heard of him before or that he’s written songs for artists you might hate. You’ll thoroughly enjoy this book.

- I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne and Chris Ayres
His “autobiography” is relatively tame considering all the kooky, public stories we’ve heard about Ozzy. A lot of these things are plausibly denied or dismissed as accidents. Don’t expect anything terrifically juicy in this book. Ozzy weaves around his past like a politician. What you do get, however, is an account from a dude who’s not afraid to laugh about it. This book is light and entertaining, which may not be expected from the Prince of Darkness.

These are the books that really “did it” for me and hopefully they will for you, too.

Books I’ve Read That Were Simply “Okay:”

- “Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?” by Steven Tyler. He’s a little too eclectic.

- “Mustaine” by Dave Mustaine and Joe Layden. He’s too whiny. Dude, get over it.
- “The Long Hard Road Out of Hell” by Marilyn Manson and Neil Strauss. Not a bad book, but it failed to steadily capture my interest.

- “Walk This Way: The Autobiography of Aerosmith” by Aerosmith and Stephen Davis. This is the first rock book I read and I can’t remember a damned thing about it. My assumption is, if it was really good, I’d have some better opinion about it.

- “Life” by Keith Richards and James Fox. Another decent book but it ran too long. Parts sagged. Sometimes Keith is successfully verbose and other times it’s a strain to read.

Books I’ll Get To Eventually:

“It’s So Easy (and Other Lies)” by Duff McKagan

“No Regrets” by Ace Frehley, Joe Layden and John Ostrosky

“Slash” by Slash and Anthony Bozza

“The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star” by Nikki Sixx

“Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock” by Sammy Hagar

“Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga” by Stephen Davis

A bunch of others, too.