So I have some sovteks running in my amp right now. I'm not exactly happy with the tone... They're quite brittle and don't have much bass (not exactly a compliment to a crate amp). So what I'm asking here is: What in your opinion would be the best brand of 6L6 power tube to run in it? I had Groove tubes in it before, they were pretty decent. I want tubes that will handle high gain well. Play style is Heavy Metal of all sorts.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
never heard anything bad about JJs, might want to try them out, tubes are something you just have to experiment with, just find some you like and rock on
Agile AL-3110 Tiger Eye
Schecter C-1 Exotic Star Snow Leopard
Schecter C-1 Classic Blue
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser T-O-M BC
LTD EC-1000 Bright Blue Flame
Bugera 333xl
Laney GH-100L
Laney LC30-II 112
Laney GS212PE w/ V30s
Genz Benz G-Flex 412
Quote by ThrashMetal014
So I have some sovteks running in my amp right now. I'm not exactly happy with the tone... They're quite brittle and don't have much bass (not exactly a compliment to a crate amp). So what I'm asking here is: What in your opinion would be the best brand of 6L6 power tube to run in it? I had Groove tubes in it before, they were pretty decent. I want tubes that will handle high gain well. Play style is Heavy Metal of all sorts.

What are you willing to spend?

If budget is unlimited get some SED Winged C's.
quite a few (not 100% sure about 6L6) JJ's are well known to be a tad more bassy, i have four JJ KT88's the nitro, it is just massive.

i have had great luck with JJ EL84's as well, although there is word spreading about the quality about the EL84's.

+1 for the winged C's IIRC that is what is in my promod has winged C KT88's. again massive tone, seems to be really clear and articulate.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
SED are the best 6L6's but Jj aren't far behind and cost shitloads less. Having said that I have a pair of British Brimars in my 6L6 amp.

Groove Tube can be just about anything, you have to read the entire code to know. There's a good chance they were Sovtek too. These days buying JJ's through GrooveTubes isn't a bad idea, they get some extra testing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ThrashMetal014

New JJ's will help. Make sure it is biased.

That being said what you described are the traits of a Blue Voodoo. Your not going to change it much with new tubes.

Check Triode Amplification out. Maybe he has a mod kit for the 60w version.
Yeah, I know most blue voodoos are like that. Another thing... What about having it modded for EL34's? How much of a difference would that make?
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
You can mod a BV to take EL34's, the heater winding is big enough to cope. You would also have to change the screen resistor and rebias it. You can often run into problems going in this direction because some amp manufacturers will use pin 1 as a tie off point. I don't think that is the case with the BV but you'd want to check.
I don't think it will be worth the trouble on a BV. Just stick a decent set of SED or JJ 6L6's in it, whichever you can afford. You'll love it.
If you want some more midrange stick a few JJ ECC83S tubes in the preamp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 28, 2011,
Thanks. I got the amp and cab together for $300, so I haven't put much into it. I figure, hey, why not do some work on it? haha
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I've found I can get a matched pair of SED Winged C's for $80. Is that a good price?
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Yes, that's pretty good. Get them. They are the best modern 6L6 available.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification