Hey guys, tonight I was having a small jam with some friends, and felt like a total newbie with them. Do you ever feel like a total n00b when you play with your friends? Like you've never played a day in your life? If so how do you overcome it?
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
that would explain a lot, due to school/work i dont get to jam a lot with people
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
Just keep playing with them and ask for advice on performing, etc. After about a week you should be able to jam comfortably. On a stage, for a crowd, that's a different story...
It's just a matter of comfort. Play in as many new situations as you can, and eventually you'll be able to play everywhere. Either way, playing with your friends is the best way to improve, so keep it up.
i'm better than most of my "look at me i can play 3chord punk" friends so ...and even then they're you're friends so failing in front of them isn't that much of a problem
Quote by Calymos
It's just a matter of comfort. Play in as many new situations as you can, and eventually you'll be able to play everywhere. Either way, playing with your friends is the best way to improve, so keep it up.

agreeeed play for family friends and just randomly pull it out and ask yourself what's the worse that can happen
IM GONNA ***CHANGE*** THE WORLD
I often have confidence crisis. One day i'll play guitar and sound great, another day i'll play and think i sound awful and that i should just jack the whole thing in cos i suck.
Also, one thing that's been working for me is to just find an open mic and go jam on stage with as many people as you can. I know it's not quite what you're going for, but really, it's just a matter of playing in front of people in general. If you've got any kind of chops, eventually you're just gonna grow more comfortable until there's no difference between jamming at home and in front of an audience. Hell, the adrenaline from performing will probably make you play better, eventually.
Thanks guys! millie its really funny cause my "catchphrase" is "whats the worst that could happen?"

Science is crazy!
I've been a vocalist with several bands, I've never sung to a packed stadium, but I don't care if it's a bar full of drunks or Keroke night at the office, I still get scared singing in front of people.

I just started playing guitar. I've been practicing for a month, and I've already played in front of the most critical people I know, my family.

I expect to be terrified when performing in front of people.

I expect to keep going anyway.

Your results may vary.
Quote by jkielq91
Just think of all the sex you'll get if you play super awesome.

Haha I'll pass, especially since I normally play with a bunch of dudes or infront of my family

Science is crazy!
Quote by Freepower
Remember, music is a collaborative art, not a competitive sport - add what you can and enjoy the other guys playing if they're so good.

#truth

I just feel so weird playing with them(they've been playing 5-7 years, and I'll be at 2 years this spring)

Science is crazy!
Quote by TerrBear2012
#truth

I just feel so weird playing with them(they've been playing 5-7 years, and I'll be at 2 years this spring)

Kerry King taught Jeff Hennaman to play the guitar. They went on to play together in one of the greatest metal bands of all time.

Its not about how long you'v been playing. I'v played with guys who have played for 10 years and I have been surprised how average they were.
Quote by TerrBear2012
Hey guys, tonight I was having a small jam with some friends, and felt like a total newbie with them. Do you ever feel like a total n00b when you play with your friends? Like you've never played a day in your life? If so how do you overcome it?

I do. Haven't overcome it yet.
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
I do have it, but i don't want to overcome it. I use it instead.

To me stage fright helps me focus on what i am playing, therefor im playing better. The day ill get to sure of myself is the day i will start being sloppy.

I just go up there and have fun and make the best of it!
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
I do have it, but i don't want to overcome it. I use it instead.

To me stage fright helps me focus on what i am playing, therefor im playing better. The day ill get to sure of myself is the day i will start being sloppy.

I just go up there and have fun and make the best of it!

You are lucky then. I couldn´t use it, I could never play anywhere near my potential until I broke the vicous circle of stage fright, poor performance, loss of confidence, more stage fright next time. Adrenaline is supposed to help us in danger but a few of us release amounts that are pathologic and even years of experience won´t change all that much.

It´s a common problem for the perfoming artists. In a professional orchestra about 1/3 will drink alcohol others will take propranolol.