hey guys, a few years ago for christmas i got the cheapest guitar/amp/bag/tuner i could find (about $130 on sale for the whole deal). just kinda piddled around with it til recently, when i actually started learning how to play, and man oh man i am realizing just how much of a piece of junk this guitar is. so i'm looking to upgrade on a budget, i'd like to get the best thing around $150 i can get (just guitar) but i could go up to $200. i love the les paul design, so i've got a few possibilities picked out. i play mostly classic rock and alternative. anyway i just wanted some peoples' input on the brand names and other differences between them. i'm still a beginner, but i'd like something that doesn't sound like quite as much garbage as what i have now.

this and this from epiphone

this from esp

this from douglas (found this and the next 2 digging deep for deals)

this from callisto

and this from agile

i don't care about having a specific name on the guitar, i just want the best sounding and longest lasting lp-styled guitar for my money. b-stock/blem guitars are also perfectly fine by me. keep in mind i am a total n00b with all this stuff so really ANY info would be very helpful. thanks in advance!
Last edited by c0lt4ty5 at Dec 28, 2011,
Honestly if your complaint is that your guitar is generally horrible, you should just sit on your money for a bit until you can get that budget up to about $300. It really will make a ton of difference.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Yeah if that's your budget you're probably only gonna get value going used.
Keep a sharp eye on craigslist, or go ahead and get something from Rondo, they are actually great for the price.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The Agile's not bad at all. If you really need a new guitar now, you should go with that one, or see if you can get anything used. Otherwise, saving your money and getting something a little better down the line would be a good move.
if you're an adbot(idk... join date and links to your gear in post?) then wow good effort...

and if you're not, listen to the people above me.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
if you're an adbot(idk... join date and links to your gear in post?) then wow good effort...

and if you're not, listen to the people above me.

hah...sorry if i gave that impression. no adbot here...though you're right that'd be a darn good bot.

thanks for the quick replies and advice. i wouldn't have thought the agile would be better than the epiphone lp 100. i really think i need to get one soon, i got rocksmith for christmas and even though it says i'm perfectly in tune, lots of notes especially on the big e string register wrong and it says i miss it. dunno if that's a usual problem with rocksmith but i've always felt like that string in particular is just...off. i mean its a behringer...what was i thinking buying a behringer guitar lol. also the scale is like 3 inches longer than that of an LP design, and even though i have long fingers, it feels a bit too spread out to me. just didn't do enough research i guess but if i can free up the funds for that i'll hit it up. thanks again!
look for 80's american peavy guitars. they are awesome. i have a horizon II. got it for $100. really if you look hard enough and diligently you will get something within your budget. but i agree, the options really open up at $300.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
so i also went and took a look at xaviere's and they look pretty similar in quality to the agiles. mostly looking at xv-500 or 510 against the agile al-2000, the main difference i see is the pickups (ceramic in agile, alnico in xaviere), and the xaviere has a 1/16 wider nut. so i guess between those:

1. which pickups would serve me best for what i play? (classic rock and alternative mostly)

2. are there any other differences between agile and xaviere that i'm missing?

again thanks for being so prompt and helpful with the responses, i really appreciate it. from what i've been researching, the ceramic pickups usually have a brighter sound, but a little more noise than alnico. true/false? but also the particular pickups that come with the xavierre seem to have similar properties to most ceramics. (just so you know i AM looking into this stuff)
Quote by c0lt4ty5
so i also went and took a look at xaviere's and they look pretty similar in quality to the agiles. mostly looking at xv-500 or 510 against the agile al-2000, the main difference i see is the pickups (ceramic in agile, alnico in xaviere), and the xaviere has a 1/16 wider nut. so i guess between those:

1. which pickups would serve me best for what i play? (classic rock and alternative mostly)

2. are there any other differences between agile and xaviere that i'm missing?

again thanks for being so prompt and helpful with the responses, i really appreciate it. from what i've been researching, the ceramic pickups usually have a brighter sound, but a little more noise than alnico. true/false? but also the particular pickups that come with the xavierre seem to have similar properties to most ceramics. (just so you know i AM looking into this stuff)

i have never played an agile or a xavier, but have read hundreds and hundreds of posts on here.

the general opinion as far as what i have observed is that the Agiles may be nicer.

1. you would want some type of PAF pickups (Patent Applied For early gibson pickups). it really depends how much money you would want to pay. BG pickups handwinds some amazing sounding PAF's, he is really cheap, but well spoken of. i am going to get a hellabucker. $70ish for each bucker, may have wait time. seymour duncan and dimarzios have tons of varieties of PAF's. if you want to go all out i am sure BKP makes some that sound really good, IIRC 150ish a pop
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ceramic pickups tend to be a bit darker and handle distortion a bit better, but can get muddy. Alnico are somewhat cleaner, crisper, and tighter, but can become lackluster distortion wise. Overall I would say alnico would work best for what you're doing, considering playing classic and alternative rock doesn't require an overly saturated distorted sound.
You might want to replace the pickups at some point, though by all accounts both guitars come with fairly decent pups stock. The other main difference I noticed is the tuners (Grover tuners on the Agile vs no-name die-cast tuners on the Xaviere).
Rocksmith is most likely showing wrong notes because your intonation is off. I have been playing for over fifteen years. I've owned many many guitars. I would tell you the guitar I would go for is the ltd ec you have up in your post. I love ltd guitars. And they seem to only be getting better. But the other guys are right. If you can swing another hundred, it would make a world of difference. And delicately look into used. You can find some seriously decent guitars for around the $300 range.
Quote by Maximo33
Rocksmith is most likely showing wrong notes because your intonation is off.

Agree 100%. If your in tune and getting the wrong notes its the intonation. I was having some major note detection issues with the game then when I checked with the tuner on my PC I saw my intonation was horrible. Fixed it and now the game plays perfectly again.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 28, 2011,