I have two strats. One is brand new today, a 2006 MIM stratocaster with stock pickups. The other is one I've had for some time, and it has upgraded pickups, the Fender Noiseless Samarium magnet single coils. The new guitar I got for the express purpose of using as a partscaster, to try out new pickups and compare it to the older guitar, kind of as a controlled experiment. I want to try out a series of pickups over time, to figure out what I really like. I got the second guitar so that I can do an a/b experiment to better hear the differences between the choices.

So, I ask the assembled wise multitude, what should I consider as the first step in the experiment? What pickup should I try to compare to the Fender pickups? What would be a good contrast to what I have?

I play a mix of classic rock, country, folk rock, and blues. I have a les paul for the humbucking tones, just trying to experiment in the classic single coil territory.

Price is not really an issue. My mother-in-law gave us a nice check for christmas that will more than cover the costs. So, please, help me pick out my christmas present to myself.

The attached picture shows both the guitars. I have upgraded both with the Fender locking tuners. They sport Ernie Ball Slinkies.
Attachments:
fenders.jpg
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
I bought a prototype guitar from a luthier with some pickups he was trying out. When they died, I replaced them with Lace Alumitones and haven't regretted it.

They are not as twangy as Fender stock pickups. To me, they're very clean & pure- a kind of neutral pallette for your effects & amp to work with.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 28, 2011,
Not really related to your question, but have you ever thought of switching out the Fender Noiseless pickups? As far as noiseless singles go, they're some of the worst I've heard. I'd go either lace censor or duncan if you want to stay the noiseless route.
Try David Gilmour emgs or Texas special for something hotter.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
If you're trying to compare things to the Fender Samarium pickups the thing I'd do is go for one of two extremes, either go for humbucker tone in a single size or go for totally vintage-accurate, hand made singles. Since you've already ruled out humbuckers for this guitar, some really traditional, bright singles should be what you go for. That way you can compare the most 'real' single coil tone vs the stacked humbucking tone of the Samarium Cobalts
Quote by grohl1987
some really traditional, bright singles should be what you go for. That way you can compare the most 'real' single coil tone vs the stacked humbucking tone of the Samarium Cobalts

That sounds interesting. Can you recommend some brands/models?
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Lace Sensor hot golds might be a good pup to check out. they have a greater dynamic range than a standard single coil but retain the positive aspects of regular singles. jeff beck and eric clapton have both used them.