Hi UGs. I am experimenting on the pickup position and want to change the pickup to be higher up on the neck, even on the fretboard. How will that arrangement affect the sounding of the guitar? Provide that the pickup are placing at the same position to detect sounds wave (node/antinode etc.) Moreoever, how can I measure the wavelength (other than eyeballing)of my strings?So that I can place them to minimize ill-effect?

Thanks in advance!
The wavelength of the strings should be double the scale length; that is, double the length from the nut to the bridge saddle.
A bridge pickup sounds like a bridge pickup because of where it's placed, neck sounds like a neck because it's near the neck, etc. If you move a pickup more up the neck it will sound more bassy and harp-like. Ever play open chords on an acoustic and play around with where you pick? That's the best analogy to pickup placement I can think of. I wouldn't bother over-analyzing it if I was you.
Thanks! However, before experimenting with different positions, is that anyway that can retain the original sound but with higher placed pickups?
Quote by wswhatever
Thanks! However, before experimenting with different positions, is that anyway that can retain the original sound but with higher placed pickups?

Original sound of what? A pickup, depending on how it's made will alter the tone, placing pickups in different locations wont make a huge difference if you keep it in a general location, like, near the neck or near the bridge. Depending on the pickups you want to use will determine where you should place your pickups.

Example, you have very bassy pickups, so you'd place it very close to the bridge to negate the bassiness in the bridge position, and father away from the neck for the neck position so it's less bassy.

General rule of thumb, closer to bridge means more treble, closer to neck means more bass.
Quote by ethan_hanus
...placing pickups in different locations wont make a huge difference if you keep it in a general location, like, near the neck or near the bridge.

General rule of thumb, closer to bridge means more treble, closer to neck means more bass.

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully I understand what you are trying to say, however, let's make an more extreme example. Say we put a normally bassy pickup on the first fret, what kind of difference are we seeing? Not much? Treble? Bassy? Because really, the strings are vibrating the same way, shouldn't the sound be the same?

Or let me rephrase my question: why are pickups placed where they are from manufacturer? Other than, you know, easier time for strumming and such