Hey I got a telecaster copy but the headstock doesn't feel right for a telecaster. I know how to reshape it and it shouldn't be a problem. The problem is that I have no idea how to refinish it afterward because I suppose it will have lost it's glossy finish. Also, my neck is a special color which they call aged maple instead of just maple. exemple:

Mine: http://www.rondomusic.com/product3370.html
Normal maple: http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnashnat.html

What I'm wondering about those color is: If I sand my neck, will the special color go off and become like the normal one or is it colored deep in the wood? If it goes off, is it possible to recolor it that way?

After this is done, how can I make the neck glossy again?

Thank you very much!
I don't think you want to sand the fret board. You can probably scalp it though or something. If the woods different then chances are sanding it will change the colors but not the exact color of the other one.

As for the headstock and neck I'm quite interested in figuring out methods on to repaint those myself.
I don't want to repaint the fretboard... If I take my headstock (the orange one) and sand it and reshape it, will it be orange under too or will it be like the other uncolored maple?
If you mean reshape it as in "strat to tele" then the edge which you cut or sanded away (opposite to the tuners) will be bare maple and you should probably respray it with a clear coat tinted with a bit of yellow or amber, I dont have access to a spray gun so I'm using my own method which may not work as well...
Do you think it would be possible to clear coat and tint only the headstock? Would it be very hard to tint it the same color as the rest of the neck?
Heres what you do. Get some Citristrip and cover the neck in it *remove the nut as the citristrip will destroy it then when its time to remove the citristrip the orange will come right off. Then smooth it with some really fine sandpaper and hit it with some tung oil *or clear coat if you prefer*.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 29, 2011,
I don't think you understand what I want to do... I want to keep the orange. As I will reshape the headstock, some parts will be uncoated and not orange. Is it possible to retint and clear coat the headstock without doing all the neck?
Quote by antoine2055
I don't think you understand what I want to do... I want to keep the orange. As I will reshape the headstock, some parts will be uncoated and not orange. Is it possible to retint and clear coat the headstock without doing all the neck?

oh sorry. I was pretty tired when I wrote that. Yeah you can do that you just mask off the headstock except for where you want to reapply the tinting. of course you want to make off around at least half a foot of the neck to avoid any overspray on the neck too.
but how am I going to retint it exactly the same color? is there any kind of standard of vintage tone spray I can buy?
Quote by antoine2055
but how am I going to retint it exactly the same color? is there any kind of standard of vintage tone spray I can buy?

No. Sorry. You're screwed. Unless you can contact whomever finished the neck originally and get the EXACT SAME PRODUCT they used initially, there is no way you're going to be able to match the tint on the rest of the neck. You can get really, really close, but a match it won't be unless you have the time and materials for a whole bunch of trial-and-error test pieces, carefully noting what you do so IF you find a spot-on tint after its dried - you can then reproduce and use it on the headstock.