Sorry, no photo yet. but let me explain the situation. There has been a lefty explorer style guitar hanging on the wall of a local music shop. It's labeled as Ltd on the tag. It's about $250. I could probably get em down to $200. But anyway. This guitar is a bit strange. I know my esp and ltd guitars. This one, has no serial number on the back, no ESP or Ltd on the headstock, but looks like it had something printed on it at one time. it's an Olympic white, it has white( now yellowed) emg active pickups. It has black Grover tuners, set neck, the cavity and wiring look like a Luthier put it together. If you've seen the inside of a real ESP, you know the difference in the way they're wired. And the cavity is finished on the inside as well, it's not just routed and left rough like LTDs. Im not left handed, but I would buy this for two hundred just for the grovers, the emgs and the hardware and bridge. And if it turned out to be worth something then there's a bonus. So does anyone know if this could be a real esp? Or is it just a very well built older ltd model? the owner is very well versed in Gibson and fender, but is clueless with esp. So it might have slipped by him as a cheaper ltd. I'll have pix soon. also, Did ltd make an original shape explorer model or was the first kind of Ltd styled like the explorer the newer EX model that is much more modern and pointed looking? Any help would be appreciated. Also, ask me anything about it, i have studied it pretty close to no avail.
Yeah I'm fairly sure ESP made an almost exact copy of the explorer shape back in the day, and then got sued so they went back to the drawing board and made the pointy EX/FX stuff. Or maybe that was Ibanez. Or both of them. I think a lot of companies made copies like that a while back and now you can find them being sold off as 'pre-lawsuit' models. I don't really know many details though.

But for $200 that sounds like a sweet deal. If you're a lefty?
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
LTD never made an explorer shape, to the extent of my knowledge. ESP and Edwards absolutely did. Considering commonality and availability, I'd venture to say it's an ESP, rather than an Edwards which you just don't really ever see around here (America).

The price is low for an ESP explorer, but considering that the logo was painted over, the employees probably have no idea what they're dealing with.

It's a set neck joint right, not a bolt on?

Pics would be really useful so we can get an idea of this thing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah ESP was part of the whole Gibson lawsuit thing. That's why I think it's a good buy either way, it's got the droopy boner lookin headstock and everything. Ive bought three guitars in the last two months though. So the lady of the house might not be very happy about another. Especially one I can't even play, since it is a lefty.
Then why are you even considering it, if you're not a lefty? It has no name and no serial number, and it's a lefty. AKA, that guitar has absolutely no resale potential.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Then why are you even considering it, if you're not a lefty? It has no name and no serial number, and it's a lefty. AKA, that guitar has absolutely no resale potential.

Did you even read the original post?For $200, It has active emg pickups, Grover tuners, and a good bridge setup on it. I could definitely use the emg's and the tuners. And the bridge Im sure. and the body is quality built. Its not the average no name guitar.ebony fretboard, set neck, the knobs are not tone pros. The cavity is finished on the inside and whoever wired it really knew what they were doing. Look inside an ESP and compare that to the inside of an LTD and you can see what Im talking about. There's really no comparison. My question is if anyone knows if ltd built explorer models that replicated the Gibson to specs before the lawsuit days.and when did they start putting the model number on the twelfth fret? And has esp always had "ESP" on it's twelfth fret? Those questions are for anyone who knows.
You could string it upside down and play it as a right-hander.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by Maximo33
Did you even read the original post?For $200, It has active emg pickups, Grover tuners, and a good bridge setup on it. I could definitely use the emg's and the tuners. And the bridge Im sure. and the body is quality built. Its not the average no name guitar.ebony fretboard, set neck, the knobs are not tone pros. The cavity is finished on the inside and whoever wired it really knew what they were doing. Look inside an ESP and compare that to the inside of an LTD and you can see what Im talking about. There's really no comparison. My question is if anyone knows if ltd built explorer models that replicated the Gibson to specs before the lawsuit days.and when did they start putting the model number on the twelfth fret? And has esp always had "ESP" on it's twelfth fret? Those questions are for anyone who knows.

Yes, I can read very well.

You can buy used EMG's and Grovers for $200 or less. I bought my 81/60 combo on ebay for $60, with all pots and electronics.

Basically, you're saying that you want to buy this guitar just because it's a quality guitar, regardless of the fact that you can't even play it. What are you going to do, hang it up and look at it?

You don't need to patronize me on ESP. I know more about ESP than most people on this forum.

The model is an ESP MX. There's a couple different MX models, but they're all pretty similar. I can't find a site documenting them or anything, but a quick google image search should lead you to any extra info you'd need.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X