Hey all! I have been playing acoustic guitar for a year and a half, now i am planning to buy an electric guitar. I play Rock music and sometimes metal. I have a budget of $360(USD). I am very confused about Floyd rose bridges, do they stay in tune or cause problems?
- I am thinking of buying Ibanez grg250p, is it a good guitar? If it's not then please suggest some.
- Will the floyd rose bridge cause any problems? Please help, I m very confused!
dont get a floyd, especially if its a cheap one, and its your first electric. id say have a look at some used guitars, youll get more for your money. and try some out!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
- The Gios are good beginner guitars, but you shouldn't get one for more than 2/3 of your budget, frankly.
- FR stay in tune better than the average bridge, but they're more problematic to tune, and string changing is a real bitch. I wouldn't worry too much about them yet tho, they're pretty expensive
I've never played on an Ibanez GRG250P but my general knowledge about the Ibanez Gio guitars is that they aren't anywhere near as good as the other models they make. Floyd Rose Bridges can be good or bad. If you plan on changing tuning often like to dropped d and then back to standard or whatever I would not recommend it. In your price range I would suggest looking at some of the Ibanez RG series guitars. They should be a lot better than what you're looking at. If you get an Ibanez with a floyd rose I recommend you have it professionally set up by a guitar tech for whatever tuning you want it in though.

Here's a few links to one's in your price range.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG3EXFM1-Electric-Guitar-104831474-i1400085.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG321MH-Electric-Guitar-620737-i1697750.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG5EX1-Electric-Guitar-103574026-i1167870.gc

I have the guitar in the first link and so far it has worked really well. Hope I was helpful.
It's not so much that the Schecter's neck is ''fat'', it's that the Ibanez neck is anorexic.

Quote by rid_the_disease
Stare at me while I suck on your face
Quote by Basti95
- The Gios are good beginner guitars, but you shouldn't get one for more than 2/3 of your budget, frankly.
- FR stay in tune better than the average bridge, but they're more problematic to tune, and string changing is a real bitch. I wouldn't worry too much about them yet tho, they're pretty expensive

What do u mean by problematic tuning and string changing, is it a problem in the guitar itself or it is hard to do? If it is hard to do then i can learn from a guitar tech and problem solved.
Last edited by Namit Dadlani at Dec 28, 2011,
Quote by MetalFriend
I've never played on an Ibanez GRG250P but my general knowledge about the Ibanez Gio guitars is that they aren't anywhere near as good as the other models they make. Floyd Rose Bridges can be good or bad. If you plan on changing tuning often like to dropped d and then back to standard or whatever I would not recommend it. In your price range I would suggest looking at some of the Ibanez RG series guitars. They should be a lot better than what you're looking at. If you get an Ibanez with a floyd rose I recommend you have it professionally set up by a guitar tech for whatever tuning you want it in though.

Here's a few links to one's in your price range.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG3EXFM1-Electric-Guitar-104831474-i1400085.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG321MH-Electric-Guitar-620737-i1697750.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG5EX1-Electric-Guitar-103574026-i1167870.gc

I have the guitar in the first link and so far it has worked really well. Hope I was helpful.

Thanks for your advice. Ibanez RG3EXFM1 and RG321MH dont have floyd rose and i think floating trems are fun . And RG5EX1 is over my budget
Quote by Namit Dadlani
What do u mean by problematic tuning and string changing, is it a problem in the guitar itself or it is hard to do? If it is hard to do then i can learn from a guitar tech and problem solved.

It's hard.
Changing the strings can take a good two hours and any kind of tuning requires the use of an allen wrench and a load of patience. Floating trems are fun if you know how to use them, and they tend to keep your strings in tune longer than other bridges, but if you're not a floyd freak and master of pinch harmonics, it ain't worth it.
If you're new to electric guitar your style is inevitably going to vary over time, so I'd recommend you a fixed bridge. Still, it's your call.

As for guitars, you've got a good starting budget. The RGs are good, definitely worth it, otherwise there the lower-end ESP/Ltd guitars should fit your style and i've heard good things about them. However, a first guitar is a first guitar. Most of us start off with lemons and it doesn't really matter, you know it's just going to be temporary (unless you plan on modding, in which case it's mostly a question of trusting the brand name)

In the description of this subforum it says: NO GUITAR-RELATED QUESTIONS!

No one seems to give a f*ck on here.
Quote by Basti95
It's hard.
Changing the strings can take a good two hours and any kind of tuning requires the use of an allen wrench and a load of patience. Floating trems are fun if you know how to use them, and they tend to keep your strings in tune longer than other bridges, but if you're not a floyd freak and master of pinch harmonics, it ain't worth it.
If you're new to electric guitar your style is inevitably going to vary over time, so I'd recommend you a fixed bridge. Still, it's your call.

As for guitars, you've got a good starting budget. The RGs are good, definitely worth it, otherwise there the lower-end ESP/Ltd guitars should fit your style and i've heard good things about them. However, a first guitar is a first guitar. Most of us start off with lemons and it doesn't really matter, you know it's just going to be temporary (unless you plan on modding, in which case it's mostly a question of trusting the brand name)

Then i have a second option of Ibanez GRG170DX But i have heard it also has tuning problems, is it true?

Link for the description of guitar : Click Here
Last edited by Namit Dadlani at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by Saitenstechen

In the description of this subforum it says: NO GUITAR-RELATED QUESTIONS!

No one seems to give a f*ck on here.

There is no link for 'new thread' at electric guitar archives!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

ask in here

to answer your question... it's a beginner guitar, basically. I haven't tried that one, but i wouldn't expect too much, either.

Regarding floyds- "real" floyd roses are awesome. By real I mean the ones made by schaller or gotoh, basically (including Original Floyd Rose, Schaller double locking trem, Schaller Lockmeister, Gotoh GE1996T, Ibanez Edge, Edge Pro and Lo-Pro Edge (beware, things like the edge III aren't made by gotoh and aren't much good, it's those specific names with no numbers after them which are teh good ones), etc. etc. ). They're a little more bother to set up, but once set up they stay in tune and feel awesome to use for crazy whammy stunts.

The cheaper floyds (found on cheaper guitars) are a whole different kettle of fish. They use cheaper, softer metals for teh knife edges (instead of hardened steel) so they'll wear out, and when that happens they won't stay in tune, and they use cheaper metals (not solid brass) for teh sustain blocks so they don't sound so good or sustain as well, either. They're also nowhere near as nice to use as teh real thing for crazy tricks, either.

if your budget is low, I'd avoid double locking trems altogether. and I say that as a total floyd fanboy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

ask in here

to answer your question... it's a beginner guitar, basically. I haven't tried that one, but i wouldn't expect too much, either.

Regarding floyds- "real" floyd roses are awesome. By real I mean the ones made by schaller or gotoh, basically (including Original Floyd Rose, Schaller double locking trem, Schaller Lockmeister, Gotoh GE1996T, Ibanez Edge, Edge Pro and Lo-Pro Edge (beware, things like the edge III aren't made by gotoh and aren't much good, it's those specific names with no numbers after them which are teh good ones), etc. etc. ). They're a little more bother to set up, but once set up they stay in tune and feel awesome to use for crazy whammy stunts.

The cheaper floyds (found on cheaper guitars) are a whole different kettle of fish. They use cheaper, softer metals for teh knife edges (instead of hardened steel) so they'll wear out, and when that happens they won't stay in tune, and they use cheaper metals (not solid brass) for teh sustain blocks so they don't sound so good or sustain as well, either. They're also nowhere near as nice to use as teh real thing for crazy tricks, either.

if your budget is low, I'd avoid double locking trems altogether. and I say that as a total floyd fanboy.

Thanks a lot for your advice and link
Now i m thinking of getting Ibanez GRG170DX
no worries

hope you like it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ the ****?

*reported*
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?