Hi everyone,

I've been playing for over a year now, with a Yamaha pacifica 112, and I'm looking for a new guitar.

I tried and really liked the mexican standard strat, and i did some research on it. That's when i saw a lot of people talking about the strats made in Japan, I checked the prices on different stores and it's not a lot more expensive.

So i searched a bit more, and i have to say, i was very impressed by the general feedback about those, some people are saying that they are even better than the Usa models.

Do you guys think it's a good investment compare to a MIM ? (it's about 250€ more)

I want my next guitar to be "The one" (if it makes sense), I tried an american strat and it definitively sound better than the mexican, but i find it too expensive for the difference.
I was hoping that the MIJ model could be a good compromise.
Last edited by Neallys at Dec 28, 2011,
Find a nice mexican deluxe of some sort i have the Lonestar Deluxe and it's just fantastic IMO there aint much difference between the USA models and the deluxe mexicans. But if it's only your second guitar and it's gonna be a mexican strat i honestly dont think it'll be 'the one' but it will be nice and definitely mean something to you
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
How much money are you willing to spend?

If you can find a Japanese Fender, they are great guitars for the money for sure, but you will have to look used, the current MIJ Fenders are only the Pawnshop series, which are pretty weird guitars, not your typical Strats and Teles (you could check those out too though).

However you could also try finding a used MIA Fender or get one of the cheaper MIA models (Highway One, American Special).
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
My budget is 600-700€, a little bit more if i really like it.

I need to check the Mexican deluxe, didn't saw those o.O
For the MIJ, I saw on the Japanese Fender site that they have very different models than what's in the Pawnshop.

http://fenderjapan.co.jp/products_stratocaster.html

Though most of those models seems to be only available in Japan :/
Quote by Neallys
My budget is 600-700€, a little bit more if i really like it.

I need to check the Mexican deluxe, didn't saw those o.O
For the MIJ, I saw on the Japanese Fender site that they have very different models than what's in the Pawnshop.

http://fenderjapan.co.jp/products_stratocaster.html

Though most of those models seems to be only available in Japan :/

I wouldn't recommend the Mexican Deluxe stuff. It's not that their bad guitars, it's just that you're paying more money for something that is basically the same (quality wise) as a regular Mexican Fender.

I would recommend either a used MIA or MIJ strat. The MIA would have better stock hardware, but in terms of quality, they're about the same (and a large step up from the MIM stuff IMO)
i have an MIJ jaguar and its really good if thats anything to go by
If you want your next guitar to be a budget guitar, but still "the one" and you like strats, you cannot go wrong with an 80's squier mij. I have one and it rivals and surpasses most american fenders I've played in feel. The pickups could do with changing, but thats simple to get done.
Thanks for the help guys

I forgot to mention that I was looking for an HSS setup, sorry about that.

Quote by Strats&Cats
I wouldn't recommend the Mexican Deluxe stuff. It's not that their bad guitars, it's just that you're paying more money for something that is basically the same (quality wise) as a regular Mexican Fender.

I would recommend either a used MIA or MIJ strat. The MIA would have better stock hardware, but in terms of quality, they're about the same (and a large step up from the MIM stuff IMO)

Good to know, thanks.

I saw the Fender AST-M/SSH it's about 680€ (with delivery) on Amazon.com.
I won't lie i really love the look. but it looks like they are using their own pickups. Anyone already tried those ?

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/ast-mssh.html
Quote by Neallys
Thanks for the help guys

I forgot to mention that I was looking for an HSS setup, sorry about that.

Good to know, thanks.

I saw the Fender AST-M/SSH it's about 680€ (with delivery) on Amazon.com.
I won't lie i really love the look. but it looks like they are using their own pickups. Anyone already tried those ?

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/ast-mssh.html

One thing to clarify. When I (and most others) talk about "MIJ" fender guitars, we mean the guitars that were made in Japan from 1984-1994 and are stamped with the MIJ label. The guitars that are made in Japan now (like the AST) are completely different then the ones most of us are talking about. These are "CIJ" guitars and I can't really comment on those.
Last edited by Strats&Cats at Dec 28, 2011,
Quote by Strats&Cats
One thing to clarify. When I (and most others) talk about "MIJ" fender guitars, we mean the guitars that were made in Japan from 1984-1994 and are stamped with the MIJ label. The guitars that are made in Japan now (like the AST) are completely different then the ones most of us are talking about. These are "CIJ" guitars and I can't really comment on those.

this would totally depend on where in the world you are. fender japan is still going strong but often the guitars are only sold in the asian market. some do find there way to other places though. so you really need to provide more info when refering to japanese fenders.

i'd go with the japanese strat if you can afford it as it will most likely be better quality. the MIMs can be really good but you really have to try before you buy with them.
what country are you in? that'll affect how easy it is to get hold of the MIJ stuff

also consider stuff like tokai. tokai has made at least some of the mij fender stuff over the years, so you're basically just cutting out the middle man. You can often pick up a brand new MIJ tokai for less than an MIM fender (in the UK at least).

EDIT: bear in mind not all the tokais are MIJ. you sorta need to have a grasp of their model lineup before getting one in case you get palmed off with a cheaper MIC/MIK one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm from Belgium.

As far as i remember the "big" stores of Brussels don't seems to have any Japanese made guitar except Yamaha (at least not on their website).
I'll try to see in the smaller shops tomorrow, if i can find the time.

Though, I managed to find a few demo of recent japanese fender on youtube, and they sound pretty good, but yeah, if i can try one, it would be much better.

Japanese strats seems really different from the mexican on paper : different wood, pickups, neck,...
Quote by Neallys
I'm from Belgium.

As far as i remember the "big" stores of Brussels don't seems to have any Japanese made guitar except Yamaha (at least not on their website).
I'll try to see in the smaller shops tomorrow, if i can find the time.

Though, I managed to find a few demo of recent japanese fender on youtube, and they sound pretty good, but yeah, if i can try one, it would be much better.

Japanese strats seems really different from the mexican on paper : different wood, pickups, neck,...

depends on the model but many jp strats are made of basswood and they do have different electronics (neck shape varies by model). you do have to take these things into account when buying one.
yeah if you're looking at teh japanese fenders you really want to be looking at the non-export ones.

there are several places in the UK where you can get non-export MIJ fenders (and also MIJ tokais), but I don't know about belgium...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I did two more shops today, but except a couple of tokai les paul style, i could't find anything.

Ohh well..., I guess for the same price I can get a mexican with new pickups

Thanks for your help
try the tokai les pauls (if they're japanese made ones)- it'd at least give you some idea of how nice they are.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?