Hey guys. I'm sure I want to do something with music in my life, whether it's performing, teaching, working in a studio, I don't care. I really can't go to the police or the army because of my bad eyesight, so I feel like there's only 1 thing I can do (the above, of course!).

As you can imagine, I'm putting a lot of practice in guitar, and I usually end up improvising and having a blast, so I don't make my practice (or rather playing) boring. But sometimes, I feel like I don't progress really. Like, 1 day I can nail that shred and the other I can't. I really don't know what to do in this situation. I stretch before playing, I make sure I'm relaxed, I pick from the wrist, I tend to make really small movements, but I don't know what to do anymore. Should I just go and learn some Yngwie or Loomis stuff? Or look Paul Gilbert's alternate picking exercises (as far as I get, he's the best in that stuff)?

Thanks!
We all get that feeling sometimes (referring to the "sometimes I can do x, but then others I can't)...
But Yeah I would suggest going into some different "territory". Go on YouTube and try and find some stuff that will make you think "Wow that looks prety interesting to learn!". Thats what I've done since I started playing and what I still do.
I'm not really sure want sort of style you're into but if Yngwie seems good to you then knock yourself out! Theres no-one tellin' ya what you can't play
If you are gonna devote your life to it, you shouldnt have a mediocre approach to it.

Random playing without a schedule is not the most efficient use of time, learning what others do and copying them isnt the best way to discover and express your individuality, sticking to what´s fun usually ends up in not being consistent with what you practice.

The more you jump around the longer it takes for things to solidify.
Scrutinize your technique and try to get it perfect, you are gonna carry it your whole life after all.. What do you mean by a boring schedule? Nothing is boring if you love the instrument..

So its time to write down your goals , customize a schedule ( i would recommend you get an excellent guitar teacher for this, you dont have to pay for daily lessons, just tell him to design a custom routine for you and let him evaluate how you are doing twice a month)
learn theory, learn as much as you can and get serious
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 28, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie
If you are gonna devote your life to it, you shouldnt have a mediocre approach to it.

Random playing without a schedule is not the most efficient use of time, learning what others do and copying them isnt the best way to discover and express your individuality, sticking to what´s fun usually ends up in not being consistent with what you practice.

The more you jump around the longer it takes for things to solidify.
Scrutinize your technique and try to get it perfect, you are gonna carry it your whole life after all.. What do you mean by a boring schedule? Nothing is boring if you love the instrument..

So its time to write down your goals , customize a schedule ( i would recommend you get an excellent guitar teacher for this, you dont have to pay for daily lessons, just tell him to design a custom routine for you and let him evaluate how you are doing twice a month)
learn theory, learn as much as you can and get serious

This was probably the best advice yet. Thanks man.

You're definitely right, I'm usually not one of those guys who think "I'm going to start with that tomorrow" or something, I get down to it immediately. Our financial situation currently isn't the best, so I honestly doubt I'll be able to get a teacher right now (although I'd love to) for the routine. If there are any tips regarding this, please, share them. Thanks!
Quote by BMusic
This was probably the best advice yet. Thanks man.

You're definitely right, I'm usually not one of those guys who think "I'm going to start with that tomorrow" or something, I get down to it immediately. Our financial situation currently isn't the best, so I honestly doubt I'll be able to get a teacher right now (although I'd love to) for the routine. If there are any tips regarding this, please, share them. Thanks!

Glad to be of help

A good option is to find an online teacher you click with, and then subscribe or book 1 or 2 lessons per month, it sounds weird at first but its actually pretty cool, you can e-mail him any questions, you can send him videos of you playing so that he can correct your technique or give you pointers.

The coolest part is not having to drive somewhere and wasting valuable time and gas you can also practice at your own pace + you will have videos of you that will work as progress trackers, it enables you to be analitical and see how much you have improved and what things you have to work on.

It isnt that expensive really (stay away from that Tom Hess fancy stuff - the dude charges for excel sheets)

But untill then i would recommend you open an excel/open office sheet and start creating your routine. The idea is to use it as a guideline to keep track of the time spent as well as any other things that come to mind.

You have to work on that everyday untill you "master" certain aspect and then you can beginn introducing/creating/merging more excercises.

This can get tricky and chaotic at first (probably will) so thats where the teacher comes in handy they have experience regarding what worked with other students, that didnt and what the most effective way of getting where you want is.

For inspiration look up Steve Vai´s 30 hour workout.
If you want a suggestion for someone i believe to be an excellent online teacher and a practice schedule for serious guitarists hit me up and ill send you the info.

Best wishes
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie
Glad to be of help

A good option is to find an online teacher you click with, and then subscribe or book 1 or 2 lessons per month, it sounds weird at first but its actually pretty cool, you can e-mail him any questions, you can send him videos of you playing so that he can correct your technique or give you pointers.

The coolest part is not having to drive somewhere and wasting valuable time and gas you can also practice at your own pace + you will have videos of you that will work as progress trackers, it enables you to be analitical and see how much you have improved and what things you have to work on.

It isnt that expensive really (stay away from that Tom Hess fancy stuff - the dude charges for excel sheets)

But untill then i would recommend you open an excel/open office sheet and start creating your routine. The idea is to use it as a guideline to keep track of the time spent as well as any other things that come to mind.

You have to work on that everyday untill you "master" certain aspect and then you can beginn introducing/creating/merging more excercises.

This can get tricky and chaotic at first (probably will) so thats where the teacher comes in handy they have experience regarding what worked with other students, that didnt and what the most effective way of getting where you want is.

For inspiration look up Steve Vai´s 30 hour workout.
If you want a suggestion for someone i believe to be an excellent online teacher and a practice schedule for serious guitarists hit me up and ill send you the info.

Best wishes

Hey man, thanks again for the reply. I couldn't respond because I was out of town.

I'd definitely like you to suggest me that teacher, just keep in mind that I'm a power metal/melodeath/shred kind of guy. It's not that I don't like other types of music, it's just that those are the things I really enjoy listening to and playing. I hope he doesn't charge a lot!
If you actually want to be a teacher then you need to work on your communication skills as much as, if not more than, your playing skills. Teaching is all about getting the idea of how to do something or how to understand something in to someone else's head; if you can't communicate effectively you are useless.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.