Hey guys, I'm looking to sell my gibson 490r and 490t pickups used. the are uncovered black, and the poles are slightly rusted in a few patches. The 490r sounds pretty good, but I don't know if anyone would buy the 490t. About what price for each should I sell these for?

[If this is the wrong thread, tell me, but I couldn't think of a better one]
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
you can probably get $40-$60 for the set.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the rust is very minimal, 2-3 unmeasurable speckles on each pole, and im not sure how to go about taking the rust off, steel wool isn't an option.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
I have to ask...why is there rust

rust indicates water, or at least an overabundance of humidity, either or which indicate a lack of care for your instruments. I hope you're not one of those people who sell damaged crap online for top dollar.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig

rust indicates water, or at least an overabundance of humidity, either or which indicate a lack of care for your instruments. I hope you're not one of those people who sell damaged crap online for top dollar.

Or just playing them with sweating hands.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by mike_oxbig

you do realise rust is oxidization of iron in the metal. which only requires oxygen, which makes up around 27% of what we all walk around in and breath every second of every day.
Quote by Cornishrob
you do realise rust is oxidization of iron in the metal. which only requires oxygen, which makes up around 27% of what we all walk around in and breath every second of every day.

Actually it takes up 20.8% of what we walk around in every day, if you wanna play the wikimaster elitist game. Also humans who aren't involved in cardiovascular intense exercises only breathe in an average of once very 4 seconds.

All internet dick-swinging aside, I have 30 year old guitars that haven't been babied and aren't rusted. so either he's gigged it a lot and was sweating bullets while on stage, or there's a 78.23% chance that one of the original things i said is true. Since he's 15 years old, i'm going with neglect.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig

I wasn't planning on selling them for "Top dollar," and the guitar the pickups came from was used and already had rust on them. I replaced them with seymour duncans, which is why I am selling them.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
well for the pair of pickups new they are about $200. used price is usually half. id ask $125 obo. noone pays asking prices, they always try to talk you down
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
Quote by z28_dad
well for the pair of pickups new they are about $200. used price is usually half. id ask $125 obo. noone pays asking prices, they always try to talk you down

wow your insane, those pickups are not worth anywhere near $125! $65 would be pushing it honestly.

Gibson pickups are very overpriced if you buy them separately.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
wow your insane, those pickups are not worth anywhere near $125! $65 would be pushing it honestly.

Gibson pickups are very overpriced if you buy them separately.

thats what i do when i sell stuff. half of new price, plus a little since people always talk you down. ive sold alot of stuff this way. it leaves room for negotiating

Quote by z28_dad
thats what i do when i sell stuff. half of new price, plus a little since people always talk you down. ive sold alot of stuff this way. it leaves room for negotiating

Yeah I can understand that logic, but this is a down economy which is a buyer's market. asking that much for pretty undesirable set of pickups will not sell too fast.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah I can understand that logic, but this is a down economy which is a buyer's market. asking that much for pretty undesirable set of pickups will not sell too fast.

thats why you put OBO. no one pays asking price.

Quote by z28_dad
thats why you put OBO. no one pays asking price.

Yeah except it's logic like that which has turned the used market into a sham. I don't know if it's just a local phenomenon here in Ottawa but some people actually think they can sell their used guitar for as much as they paid brand new.

The truth of retail is that the markup is there to pay for the price of owning/renting a store, paying employees, hydro, advertising, etc. Not only that MSRP usually has at least a 100% markup from what the retail store pays. Just because something MSRP's for 200$ doesn't mean you won't find one on sale for 150$, or on clearance for 110$, brand new from the store.

If you're selling something that cost 200$ in a retail store, you should be able to get at most 50% of the MSRP if it's in damn near perfect condition. You're not selling something that is new, you're not giving a warranty with the sale, and the return policy is "catch me if you can". Many people don't understand this and they'll actually try to include the MSRP + tax in their estimated value of the instrument.

I've seen guitars that are currently being sold at long & mcquades for 450$ put up on kijiji for 700, because the websites MSRP says 700 which means the seller thinks he's saving the buyer from paying tax. Kijiji and craigslist have ruined the spirit of garage sales, every douchebag with a pile of digested shit thinks he can sell it for the price of the fresh fruit it once was.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Jan 1, 2012,