Page 1 of 2
Basically, that's the question.

Imagine you're Aragorn and you just spotted a huge uruk-hai army heading towards Helm's Deep, you ride to the fortress yourself, confront the king and when he asks you how much of them are there, you'd normally say "Ten thousand, no less!".

How would you be able to calculate it?

Just wondering.
He's got an iPhone app for that.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Owenlee55
It was pretty obvious to be honest, he just followed the script.

/thread
Knowledge is power
He's an experienced veteran that has lived up to 70 years (i think) and because of his race can live as twice as long as a human. So i think in his time he's seen a army or two.

So say one of the armies he has seen in full formation numbered 8000 troops... it wouldn't be that hard to guess if there was a 10,000 troop army standing in front of him at the time of seeing the ur'kai.

The 10k was a estimate from him.
Okay, and what if YOU were in his place?

I was just using an analogy... this thread isn't about Aragorn using iPhone.
Contact Jamie Hyneman from Mythbusters, he's good at estimating stuff just by looking at it
DeVillains!
Count a small amount and calculate their size and multiply that group by how many others there you can estimate there are in that army...although those armies in lotr were very disorganized in formation.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Really?

You count a small section of the army then you visualize how many like-sized sections it takes to fill up the rest of the army out there. Then do some multiplication.

There's an app that does it really quick tho. You just take a picture of the entire army.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Dec 28, 2011,
I wouldn't of counted, I just would of said "We're hopelessly outnumbered" or something like that.
Who cares? Just get my massive invincible ghost army in, ruin the bloody story a bit, and kill all the bastards
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Okay,

please use your method to calculate the number of troops in this army

a lot of them are obviously fake, but still.
Last edited by Zeletros at Dec 28, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros
Okay,

Sampling is not very useful When it's irregular like That...
yo.

I BELIEVE
I'd guess about 3000 in that front section up to the dust. Maybe add another 1000 to feel more comfortable about the guess. Since I don't know how much land is behind that outcropping on the left.
Quote by Steve635z
By my calculations there are 6505+

Please describe your method 100% specifically.
Quote by Zeletros
Okay,

In reality, it's estimated it was between 70 and 300k (wiki) I've always felt like it was around 150,000.

Anyway, if you've seen how much land mass 1000 of your own troops in formation take up, I'd assume you can judge the enemy's force by comparison. I'm sure I've heard of battles that went badly for one side because their scouts misjudged the size of the enemy, due to either human error or freak tricks of light.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Okay, so we have variants:

6500+
3000+1000+
and 150000+

My guess is just those are just guesses?
Quote by Steve635z

Quote by Zeletros

Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
I only guessed the front section up to the dust separating the second part. But you can impose that 3000+1000ish onto the rest of the picture if you like to get a better idea.

PS I wouldn't trust wiki. I doubt 300 really followed numbers. They probably just put troops in every nook and cranny.
Quote by Zeletros

seriously man? You didn't get the troll?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Steve635z

Where are you getting that extra I'm only seeing 5150.
Quote by BlackVoid
Where are you getting that extra I'm only seeing 5150.

I actually think you could be right there, I tried my equation again.
Quote by Zeletros

He probably looked at his amp.
Quote by High&Mighty
He probably looked at his amp.

Oh god no..
Quote by Zeletros
Okay,

let's see...

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Dude has seen plenty of battles and im sure he knows how to estimate enemy faction size. If anything the only way a count could hurt is if you undercount so he saw a shitstorm of orcs and urukai and said the biggest number he thought was possible for a army to reach in his time.

Clearly its over 5 thousand when you see it. I may have said as many as 15 thousand though.
Knowledge is power
My calculation got me 88.484

If I take in account the fog variable I got 82.938 (f=(m*a)/a, fog = measurement of land * area of fog)

Taking in account the ligthing of the sun causing shadows that might look like more soldiers, it's 81.926
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Well I normally just look at the player count on the server. If it's a 64 man server there should be 32 enemies at most on the opposing team.

Then press "q" to spot as many as you can for your buddies.
You guys are over-thinking. Obviously, you count 1 row, then you count 1 column, and then you multiply them.
Quote by triface
You guys are over-thinking. Obviously, you count 1 row, then you count 1 column, and then you multiply them.

what if their army is arranged in a giant circle? or a giant middle finger?
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by triface

but what if they're Sand People? they ride in single file.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
No good army would be seen without a square or rectangle formation. A circle formation is preposterous! The middle'finger one would make a good last statement before they all die from a lack of awesomeness in their formation, though.

And if the army rides in a single file, my method still stands. It'd just move the "Sir, they have over 9000 soldiers!" part to after the movie has ended.
Page 1 of 2