hi there, I have a Vox V112NT cab as an extension for my AC15..

I am looking for an ultra cheap amplifier/head I could use with it as a backup... Basically something that would give me an unprocessed sound so that in an emergency (if the AC15 went wrong) I could just use that to amplify a modelled sound from my Zoom pedal or AC30 AMplug

I would get a nighttrain head but cant afford it, so am really looking fir something smalk, loud, reliable and cheap (ss probibly) that I could maybe pick up cheap on Ebay or somewhere...

cheers

MrB
what exactly is cheap?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Epiphone Valve Juniors are simple and cheap, dunno if they're what you're looking for.

What wattage are you talking? The Fender Super Champ is 15w, although it's only a 10-inch speaker- there is an extension cab out, though. New, they run $200 at Guitar Center- I'm sure you can at least halve that on the 'Bay, or Craigslist. The new ones have a funky pre-amp voicing knob (some of them actually sound pretty good), but an older one would probably forgoe any modeling technology (making it even simpler. volume/bass/treble.)
Crate Powerblock. They're discontinued, but you can find them relatively cheap second hand.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Crate Powerblock. They're discontinued, but you can find them relatively cheap second hand.

Actually, that's a great idea. I have one, and it can be a little noisy, but it's loud and sounds good. And I paid $40 for it. If you can find one, go for it- just be aware that it's 150 watts- while it's not all that loud for an amp of that wattage, your speaker's probably not rated for that.
Quote by LaidBack

My thoughts exactly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So this means....

I WIN ALL THE THREAD!!!!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
hi all,
I do like the look of the powerblock...

thing is.. its possibly too much...
I think the max the vox is rated for is 30w so 150 would probably be too much...
Just liud enough for pub type gigs

I don't need anything with a speaker, just a nice little compact head...

I'd like to spend under £100 if possible...

MrB
Black heart little giant should be in your price range.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
If it's just for emergency backup...?

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/electro-harmonix-22-caliber/30442

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/electro-harmonix-44-magnum/47952

small enough to carry round anywhere, and solid state so reliable - i wouldn't personally want to use a tube amp for backup.

I've got no idea how good they are but it's an intriguing concept. I've also seen a band get decent results simply running a Tech 21 SansAmp direct into the PA when an amp blew.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hmm, interesting...
I wonder if it would be loud enough to be used in a pub gig and be heard over a fairly hard-hitting drummer?

edit - having looked at some clips/discussion of this, I reckon it would be ok.... I generally don't use clean amp sunds ayway - always want some crunch so the 22 could be the boy for me!

Would consider the 44 but I think it might be too much for the V112NT

Quote by steven seagull
If it's just for emergency backup...?

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/electro-harmonix-22-caliber/30442

small, and solid state so reliable - i wouldn't personally want to use a tube amb for backup.
Last edited by MrBitey at Dec 28, 2011,
Quote by MrBitey
Hmm, interesting...
I wonder if it would be loud enough to be used in a pub gig and be heard over a fairly hard-hitting drummer?

edit - having looked at some clips/discussion of this, I reckon it would be ok.... I generally don't use clean amp sunds ayway - always want some crunch so the 22 could be the boy for me!

Would consider the 44 but I think it might be too much for the V112NT

A little late replying, but here's my take on the EH power amps- they're a great concept, and if you either want some breakup/crunch all the time, or ride your volume knob, then they're great. However, they're particularly reactive to your guitar and pickups, at least in my experience. So I would want to test it out before I committed, since there's no tone control short of the "bright" switch.

the other solution to that is to buy a pre-amp, or use a multi-effects unit with one built in- assuming that said preamp has tone controls, you can tweak them just as you would the front end of your amp, and if your guitar is too dark/bright/midrangey/whatever, you can just dial it out.

Hope this helped.
Thanks for the reply, Guild King, I did buy the Electro Harmonix 22 Calibre in the end. Had a play at low(ish) volume and actually like the simplicity of the sound.. Yet to crank it but will do so in a rehearsal room soon!