Hey all, so I found a bunch of different threads regarding speaker changes for the 6505+, so I'm sorry if this is a redundant question but I couldn't quite find a thread that answered my particular question. I have the 6505+ 112 combo and I play an Epiphone Les Paul through a Boss GT-10 pedal (I do not use the amp modeling at all). My band plays alternative/hard rock (Tool, A perfect circle, Chevelle, 10 years, Breaking Benjamin etc.) and want to get less of a metal tone from my amp. It's a bit harsh and tinny and I'd like to get more of that hard rock sound with a nice tight but heavy low end. I can get a relatively good sound from simple EQing but I think I would see an improvement with a speaker change. I am the second owner of this amp and it currently has the stock 12" sheffield speaker, Svetlana 6L6GC power tubes, 3 TAD 12AXL tubes, and 2 Sovtek 12AXL tubes.

Can changing just the speaker really change the voice of the amp away from the metal tone that it has now? And will that change be enough that I'll actually notice it/be worth it?

If so, what speaker could I purchase to get less of that metal sound and more of the modern hard rock sound I'm looking for? V30s are always suggested for this amp, but from what I understand they will simply give me a better sounding metal tone, which is not my goal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!
Check out my hard rock band!! Lying Awake!!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Epiphone 1998 Les Paul Custom
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Peavey 6505+ 112 60W Combo w/ Celestion G12-K100
The 6505 is pretty much geared towards metal and only metal. However, with that being said, it can still get good hard rock sounds. Other then the harshness, what don't you like about the way the 6505 sounds now?
Quote by Strats&Cats
The 6505 is pretty much geared towards metal and only metal. However, with that being said, it can still get good hard rock sounds. Other then the harshness, what don't you like about the way the 6505 sounds now?

Well, I do certainly love the amp and if I had to just accept that it's going to always sound pretty much the same way it sounds now I would still be happy, but ofcourse I'm going to be picky and always trying to improve my sound.

I get some pretty terrible ice picking, but I hate the muffled sound I get when I try noise suppressing techniques like the donut-shaped foam method that is commonly suggested.

Suprisingly, I actually like the cleans that I can get from the 6505+, which most people hate, but in order to get enough low end from the amp while using crunch (cuz I barely even touch the lead channel) I have to EQ with lots of bass, which winds up being way too much bass when I switch back to clean.

Even if I can't fundamentally change the voice of the 6505+, I think a change from the sheffield speaker would be good anyway. I just would like to get a speaker improvement that wont push my tone in the wrong direction like the V30 probably would.

I've defidently heard some good things about the k-100, which is sortof where I am leaning right now.
Check out my hard rock band!! Lying Awake!!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Epiphone 1998 Les Paul Custom
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Peavey 6505+ 112 60W Combo w/ Celestion G12-K100