Mike Portnoy's backing vocals were an integral part of some of Dream Theater's songs, as he sung harmonies and parts on different songs and contributed to their vocal sound.
How are the going to replicate it when playing live now that he has left, and as far as I can Mike Mangini doesn't sing.
My Rig:

• Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Blackcherry
  • Randall RG75D-G3
  • Dunlop Crybaby Wah
  • Boss FV-50 H volume
  • Boss DM-2 analogue delay

My Last.FM page

The UPROAR My music blog/webzine.
OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!11!1!!!11!!!!!

Probably a vocal harmonizer, and or, won't do it live.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Am I the only one that doesn't like James Labrie singing?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Dr Sixstring
... most people don't like him singing.
Quote by fearofthemark
at your avatar

Quote by due 07
Your avatar had me in stitches for a good two minutes.
I used to not like his singing too, but it's grown on me.

Maybe they'll backing track Mike's parts so Mike doesn't have to sing? I don't know man. Would be hard for Mike to fill Mike's shoes if he were to sing anyway. I think it'd be quite noticeable a change.
Quote by frankv
It's what put me off the band. There's something about his voice that I just can't stand.

Diddos.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
They used a lot of backing tracks for Mike's parts either way. He didn't do the rapping parts of A nightmare to remember and prophets of war live, so what's the problem. The vocals in the chorus can be done by Rudess and Petrucci.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
They used a lot of backing tracks for Mike's parts either way. He didn't do the rapping parts of A nightmare to remember and prophets of war live, so what's the problem. The vocals in the chorus can be done by Rudess and Petrucci.

Rudess doesnt sing..??

Songs like As I Am and The Test that Stumped them All among others have main parts that Mike added to with his vocals.
My Rig:

• Randall RG75D-G3
  • Dunlop Crybaby Wah
  • Boss FV-50 H volume

My Last.FM page

Quote by phantom_lord586
Rudess doesnt sing..??

Songs like As I Am and The Test that Stumped them All among others have main parts that Mike added to with his vocals.

Rudess does sing. Just not in Dream Theater for some reason. Also with his keyboard with voice effects, he could be a really good backing singer.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Dr Sixstring

I didn't like it at first. It took some getting used to, but even then its still hit or miss.
Quote by Shr3dz0r
I didn't like it at first. It took some getting used to, but even then its still hit or miss.

he suffered from food poisoning in 1994 which damaged his vocal chords and didnt start recovering until 2002. He has only been back in full form in recent years.
My Rig:

• Randall RG75D-G3
  • Dunlop Crybaby Wah
  • Boss FV-50 H volume

My Last.FM page

That's just disgusting!

Quote by phantom_lord586
he suffered from food poisoning in 1994 which damaged his vocal chords and didnt start recovering until 2002. He has only been back in full form in recent years.

And he still managed to be the lead singer for 8 years? Why didn't someone else in the band tell him; "dude, your singing is awful, you should shut up"
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by phantom_lord586
Nah there's something about his voice that just sounds 'compressed' or something idk, I don't like his voice too much in DT's work before 1994 either.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Mike's background vocals were starting to suck dick.

I miss Mike, but to his vocals I say good riddance.
I'd offer my normal reply here, but I already got warned for telling too many people to kill themselves. So perhaps listen to older albums instead?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Rockford_rocks
Mike's background vocals were starting to suck dick.

I miss Mike, but to his vocals I say good riddance.

This. His verse on A Nightmare to Remember was cringeworthy.

Also, I like LaBrie's voice most of the time, and he sounds awesome on A Dramatic Turn of Events. Haters gonna hate, I guess.
Quote by Dr Sixstring

James LaBrie is awful.
Thanks for making a thread for this breaking news. I was planning on going out and partying with my friends tonight, but I now realise life is pointless and will stay in crying and wanking.