I bought a Vintage VS6 electric guitar last year and I learnt to play guitar on it and now a year later I am just loving it. I think it's really the only guitar I am going to own in my lifetime.

I am inexperienced in, well 'guitar craft', how the guitar works and making guitars. Anyway my question is, can I simply buy things like pick ups to 'upgrade' my guitar? For instance I take the screws out, take the old pick up and switch with a better one and put it in? No complicated risky work?

I am looking for a pick up that would give me a 'crunchy punk' sound, maybe like the pistols, clash or something recent like 90's green day. The pick ups I have now are Wilkinsons.

Thanks.
yeah mann, its pretty easy to swap out the pickups. Just look up the wiring diagram and follow it. All you need it a screw driver and a soldering iron. And new pickups.
Quote by damage_inc07
yeah mann, its pretty easy to swap out the pickups. Just look up the wiring diagram and follow it. All you need it a screw driver and a soldering iron. And new pickups.

So I find the wiring diagram of my guitar, screw out the old pick ups and cut the wires from it then put in new pick ups and solder the wires back in?
Kinda. You open up the electronics cavity (usually in back or under pickguard) and desolder the pickup wires from the pots. You could cut it but you dont want the excess on the pots, so just remove them. Solder in new pickups. I would change the pots and capacitor out too.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Kinda. You open up the electronics cavity (usually in back or under pickguard) and desolder the pickup wires from the pots. You could cut it but you dont want the excess on the pots, so just remove them. Solder in new pickups. I would change the pots and capacitor out too.

I've PM'd you
Edited*

You are going to need to get that real panel off, try using the threads from a screw in the hole to lift it off, or pad your guitar with a cloth and pry that cover off.

Unscrew the pickup and give the wires a slight yank, you should see which are connected to it this way. Remember where the wires went (write down color-position) and remember the new pickups may follow a different color coding system. Anything else you need to know, post back.
Last edited by StateFarmsThere at Dec 28, 2011,
Quote by StateFarmsThere
I dont see it
I cant use pm back anyway, iPhone doesnt like UG pm.

Oh.. I sent it as a message on your profile, didn't know there was a difference
Quote by StateFarmsThere
I think I posted before you sent it. Last post edited.

I'm gonna send you a message with pics of my guitar wiring