I play a 2 x 12 Laney combo amp, it has the option of an extension cab out. It says 8 ohm minium impedance.

I was looking at a marshall cab, and its rated at 16 ohms. Has anyone played this combo before?

To me 8 ohm minimum means the 16ohm cab should be compatible?

Any input would be great
If it says 8 ohm minimum then it must be a SS amp. It will handle a 16 ohm load but will drop the output power to anything up to a 1/2 of the rated power of the amp.
Laney SS amps aren't the worst SS amps out there by a long shot but they are more of a practice amp. Real Laneys have tubes. I've known a few people to have a SS Laney as a backup amp in my time because they are so reliable but tonewise they are a bit sub-optimal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If it says 8 ohm minimum then it must be a SS amp. It will handle a 16 ohm load but will drop the output power to anything up to a 1/2 of the rated power of the amp.
Laney SS amps aren't the worst SS amps out there by a long shot but they are more of a practice amp. Real Laneys have tubes. I've known a few people to have a SS Laney as a backup amp in my time because they are so reliable but tonewise they are a bit sub-optimal.

So you would reccoment going for the 8 ohm cabinet to keep power up? The cabinet i was looking at is a marshall rated at 300w 8 ohms, marshall also makes an 8 ohm version rated at 120 watts, which is what the amp is rated at
The loss in power equates to less than 3dB. 3dB is nothing.

Those two cabs have different dimensions, no? The bigger one is a 1960, yes? I guess the 120W one is an MG or AVT cab?
If so then the 1960 will slay it, especially in the bass response department. A 1960 could easily last you for the rest of your life. An MG cab you'll want to throw in the bin before too long.
A 1960 is a serious gigging cab, the other will be essentially an oversized practice rig.

When asking these sorts of questions model numbers are invaluable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The loss in power equates to less than 3dB. 3dB is nothing.

Those two cabs have different dimensions, no? The bigger one is a 1960, yes? I guess the 120W one is an MG or AVT cab?
If so then the 1960 will slay it, especially in the bass response department. A 1960 could easily last you for the rest of your life. An MG cab you'll want to throw in the bin before too long.
A 1960 is a serious gigging cab, the other will be essentially an oversized practice rig.

When asking these sorts of questions model numbers are invaluable.

Yeah the 120 watt is an MG 412, the 300 watt is an M412

If the power loss is that minimal im definately going with the bigger cab. I have my amp in for service right now, when i go pick it up Im going to try it out and see. If the power loss is nothing it seems like an easy choice
The M412 has Eminence AX-75 speakers. I don't know those particular Eminences but they are bound to be better than the Celestion Seventy 80's in the MG cab. Maybe somebody else knows more about them and will comment.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If it says 8 ohm minimum then it must be a SS amp.

My Laney Cub 8 said 8 - 16 ohms...
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
My Laney Cub 8 said 8 - 16 ohms...

Really? Probably because it has such a small output power. The giveaway is "minimum." Your Cub specifies a range. When an amp doesn't set a maximum rating it is invariably SS. There may be some exceptions like really exotic amps like the Gaga but with a normal sort of amp listing a minimum impedance only is a pretty safe indication that it has a SS power amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification