As some of you might know I am playing a Hiwatt lead 50 full tube head through a Laney cab without Celestions, and wondering what music related item i should save/buy first. I was debating on getting a used Marshall 1960a or Mesa-boogie cab or another guitar specifically a fender thin-line tele. What would you guys do, Try to get your amp rig better or buy cooler guitars?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
What's in your Laney cab?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would upgrade to a thinline tele... those things are amazing. Your cab does affect your tone, but shitty Epi pick ups do a lot worse.
Quote by Cathbard
What's in your Laney cab?

Not sure to be honest, the screw's holding the speakers in are rusted to hell and i don't have any other cab's so i don't want to mess up my speakers trying to get them out of the cab.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
It should say on the back of the speaker what the speaker is.

The cab makes a small difference, but the actual speaker makes the biggest difference, because it is what is converting your tone into sound, the more efficient and precise it is, the better your tone is.
A cheaper guitar will hinder you more than a cheap speaker cab in ALMOST every case. It takes a craftsman with patience and skill to build a guitar. A young kid with decent mechanical skills could build a speaker cab. I would start saving up for your tele. Are you looking to only buy new? You could save a little longer and pick up a used tele and look around your local music shops or craigslist for someone selling a speaker cab with celestions in it. Then sell the Laney and buy yourself some stompboxes.
stereobloom.bandcamp.com
facebook.com/stereobloommusic
Quote by Leybick
A cheaper guitar will hinder you more than a cheap speaker cab in ALMOST every case. It takes a craftsman with patience and skill to build a guitar. A young kid with decent mechanical skills could build a speaker cab. I would start saving up for your tele. Are you looking to only buy new? You could save a little longer and pick up a used tele and look around your local music shops or craigslist for someone selling a speaker cab with celestions in it. Then sell the Laney and buy yourself some stompboxes.

I said the speaker CAB has a minor effect, the SPEAKER has the majority of the effect, and the GUITAR has a minor effect, as well as the TONE WOOD and PICKUPS.

I play on a Squier with BKP pickups and I can put a $1500 Fender Strat to shame, so the guitar does not matter as much as the SPEAKER.
Another option down the road for you is to go with an Avatar cab. You can pick your speaker set ups (tons of Celestion options), they're hand made, and much cheaper in price. That Mesa 4x12 cab is going to run you $1000 plus shipping, you can get the same speaker, ohm set up, etc for $600 shipped from Avatar. And they offer a lot customizations. Grill types, tolex color, etc. Just a thought.
Last edited by nectarboy21 at Dec 28, 2011,
Ok lets exarggerate this.

Lets say someone owns a markV, or a roadking or whatever high end amp you can think of. Now lets say they play trough an MG 412 amd a starter kit guitar.

Ofc te guitar will have an impact on the players abaility, but just from te sound, i think the can matters more than the guitar, because the wrong cab/speakers can make a great amp sound like poo.

Like if its a naturally scopped amp and scooped speakers/cab then youll ger buried alive in a mix, or in my case with my current cab, the amp is voiced for the high mids, while the speakers are voived similarly, maling the whole thing sound pverly harsh with any of my guitars
Laney cabs are fairly robust. You might be better off just swapping out the speakers. Some Laney cabs have good speakers and some don't. Is there maybe a handle you can remove so you can take a look inside with a flashlight? I can't remember what sort of handles those things have.
If the screws aren't countersunk you may be able to get them out with a pair of pointy nosed vice grips. That's what I normally try before resorting to a drill.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Laney cabs are fairly robust. You might be better off just swapping out the speakers. Some Laney cabs have good speakers and some don't. Is there maybe a handle you can remove so you can take a look inside with a flashlight? I can't remember what sort of handles those things have.
If the screws aren't countersunk you may be able to get them out with a pair of pointy nosed vice grips. That's what I normally try before resorting to a drill.

+Worship
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Do stickers on your grill make a difference, sound can travel through them right?
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Not the same way it can through the fabric... May or may not be a big deal, but it cannot be said that it doesn't have any effect.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Stickers will block some sound. I've seen people put them directly over the centre of speakers to act as diffusers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Stickers will block some sound. I've seen people put them directly over the centre of speakers to act as diffusers.

So i took one of the handles off my cab and found this label inside on the bottom. And checked to conferm that all the speakers were Celestion G12m-70 are they good/worth anything?
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=ef34a04481&view=att&th=134860ba48dbb7ff&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Those are very close to a Vintage 30. They are what Marshall put in their 1960V cabs. They are slightly different to a regular V30 but are still a fine speaker. A little more bass and not quite as efficient iirc.
I'm actually surprised they are in a Laney cab. I thought they were a Marshall specific Celestion. Perhaps they aren't original.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification