I recently got ahold of a Standard Strat. I bought the Paul Gilbert Dimarzio Injector Pickups (Neck & Bridge) and an Area '67 on the middle. Although totally in love with the sound of the guitar now, im bothered by the fact that the BRIDGE pickup doesn't have volume control. It sounds to harsh to my ears!
Im pretty sure there's some kind of mod for this but the question is: is it a complicated thing to do? I really want to do it myself. Already spent a good deal of money on other gear stuff! Any help will be appreciated!
Last edited by Windex1108 at Dec 28, 2011,
Woah my bad! The bridge pickup does not have TONE control! Thats what I meant sorry
The Area 67 sounds harsh? That's a new one.

So are you doing the SSS set up, or just a SS set up?

A strat has tone controls for all 3 pickups, the bottom knob(if I remember correctly) effects the tone of the bridge and middle pickups, and the middle knob effects the tone of the neck pickup.

If you didn't wire it like a traditional(or modern, can't remember) strat, it wont have the tone control for the bridge pickup(I have a more modern strat wiring, where I cannot control the tone of the bridge)
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Dec 28, 2011,
Im talking about the bridge pickup. Its wired as if the tone knob is always on the max. I read that's just standard wiring on some Strats. And for my tastes it sounds bright as hell. I had the stock pickups previously and it was the same. So really the pickups itself don't matter. It's just how they are wired
I'd put a Area 58/61 in the bridge, the 67 is pretty nasty, and is more of a middle/neck pickup.

I have a BKP Painkiller in the bridge of my strat, and it's a super bright, super tight pickup, and I can't control the tone on it, but it actually works perfectly if I mess with the EQ on my amp.

You don't really need the tone control there, it's nice, but you'd do better by getting a better base tone before you fine tune using tone controls.

I actually don't know how you would wire it the traditional way, I don't think I've ever seen a diagram for that kind of wiring...so hopefully someone else can help you on that, but if I were you, I'd put a different pickup in the bridge.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'd put a Area 58/61 in the bridge, the 67 is pretty nasty, and is more of a middle/neck pickup.

I have a BKP Painkiller in the bridge of my strat, and it's a super bright, super tight pickup, and I can't control the tone on it, but it actually works perfectly if I mess with the EQ on my amp.

You don't really need the tone control there, it's nice, but you'd do better by getting a better base tone before you fine tune using tone controls.

I actually don't know how you would wire it the traditional way, I don't think I've ever seen a diagram for that kind of wiring...so hopefully someone else can help you on that, but if I were you, I'd put a different pickup in the bridge.

Nice suggestion! But for now Ill have to stick with these pickups until more money falls from the sky lol! The thing is I am currently using an Orange Tiny Terror head with an Orange PPC112 (Limited controls on this amp, just Volume, Tone and Gain so I really need that tone control to work in the bridge pickup!
Quote by Windex1108
Nice suggestion! But for now Ill have to stick with these pickups until more money falls from the sky lol! The thing is I am currently using an Orange Tiny Terror head with an Orange PPC112 (Limited controls on this amp, just Volume, Tone and Gain so I really need that tone control to work in the bridge pickup!

That's strange, because the Tiny Terror is actually a dark voiced amp, you shouldn't be having a bright problem, unless you just really want a dark tone.

If you can't change pickups, try and get your hands on a used EQ pedal, and put that in your chain so you can further adjust your tone.

Or you can try swapping pickups around to different locations, unless they are all Area 67's.
It is quite a dark amp. Idk! Maybe my ears are getting it all wrong! You say a EQ pedal will give me more tonal options and compensate for the lack of controls on the amp?
Quote by ethan_hanus
A strat has tone controls for all 3 pickups, the bottom knob(if I remember correctly) effects the tone of the bridge and middle pickups, and the middle knob effects the tone of the neck pickup.

This is incorrect. A Strat has 2 tone controls, one is for the middle pickup and the other for the neck. With factory wiring neither affects the bridge pickup. It's a pretty simple mod to rewire the middle tone control for the bridge or have it affect both at once.

The bridge pickup is pretty nasally with a nasty bite on a Strat, but that's the nature of the beast . Once I get my Strat I'll be wiring it with a tone knob on the bridge and one that controls the middle and neck at once.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 28, 2011,
Quote by Flux'D
This is incorrect. A Strat has 2 tone controls, one is for the middle pickup and the other for the neck. With factory wiring neither affects the bridge pickup. It's a pretty simple mod to rewire the middle tone control for the bridge or have it affect both at once.

The bridge pickup is pretty nasally with a nasty bite on a Strat, but that's the nature of the beast . Once I get my Strat I'll be wiring it with a tone knob on the bridge and one that controls the middle and neck at once.

I've actually picked up a factory Strat where the bottom(or middle, I can never remember) tone knob actually affected the bridge pickups tone. It had the Grease Bucket tone circuit, so that might of had something to do with it.

And yeah, I meant to say two, but with the traditional wiring, the tone controls do affect all three pickups, which is what I meant.
As far as I know the tone knobs don't affect the bridge on all standard strats. Maybe the higher end ones but not standard. Says so on the fender website for the circuit schematics too.

if you want to mod it so you can change the tone google search "stratocaster tone split mod" first link. It's a pretty simple mod.