I've been eyeing a rackmount Mesa 50 Cal+ that is locally available. Youtube vids show the gain channel to be extremely wet/spongey (but cool in a slightly retro way, may be great for doom), one comparison vid showed the cleans sounding a good bit darker than a Fender Blackface. My current head (Thermion) does modern high gain great, cleans on it are more on the warm/dark side rather than shimmery and get gritty at about 12:00.

Can anyone with experience elaborate on the 50 Cal clean tones/gain structure etc? I am a sucker for old Mesa stuff but might reconsider if it's basically another dark clean channel, which I can already do.

Has anyone used this for bass? I've read in a few places that it was used on Chaosphere, which has a great "tank rolling" grindy kind of bass OD going on.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 28, 2011,
It's the lill brother of the mark which is basicly a fender amp on steriods. The cleans are really nice and when I had it I found them not to be dark at all(had way more spank than my DC-2). I think it's just the way you eq the amp. The thing I hated about the .50cal+ was the shared gain pot which made dailing in clean and high gain impossible. If you can get it for a good price it's def worth a look.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Thanks for your thoughts. My goal is to haggle around $450 or less. Reviews on HC make it sound like a pretty responsive amp with a ton of fuzz. I'd probably use it more for recording than live so it might work out.
450 dollars will get you a great amp. Not sure what the prices are in America but I paid 550 euro's for my head
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat