I would use D minor.
The notes are D E F G A Bb C D
(natural minor)

The chords go
D F A
C D F A
Bb D F Ab
A C# E G

When using the minor scale, it's very common to see a major seventh interval (C#) in this case rather than b7. So that's what's going on in the A7 chord, all you have is a 7th (C#) instead of a b7 (C).

The only other note that I would watch out for is the Ab in the Bb7 chord, as it will clash with certain notes in D minor
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

It sounds like something Mark Knopfler would play.

probably because this is basically the same chord progression as sultans of swing

i wouldn't even bother with scales - just pay attention to your chord tones to highlight each individual chord. but yeah, d minor would be the best 'universal' scale for the progression; still, i'd only use it as a "safe zone" in case you lose your pace at most.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
probably because this is basically the same chord progression as sultans of swing

i wouldn't even bother with scales - just pay attention to your chord tones to highlight each individual chord. but yeah, d minor would be the best 'universal' scale for the progression; still, i'd only use it as a "safe zone" in case you lose your pace at most.

It is the same chord progression! I didn't even realize that and I can play Sultans of Swing!

What do you mean chord tones?
^ I would suggest using C minor and/or C minor pentatonic and/or C minor blues.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ I would suggest using C minor and/or C minor pentatonic and/or C minor blues.

In a song in the key or D minor? Seems a bit weird.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

Oh I just played along to a youtube vid of it, and it was in C minor. Maybe this version was tuned different, I dunno.

but yeah if its in D minor, play D minor / minor pent/ minor blues.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
It is the same chord progression! I didn't even realize that and I can play Sultans of Swing!

What do you mean chord tones?

basically, work around the notes in each chord. with the d minor, work around d, f#, and a, with the c add the c on those, etc. you can use any scale you want as long as you highlight the notes in each chord for your desired feel because those notes will be the "strongest" in a melody over those chords.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
All of the following notes will fit the progression

D D# E F F# G G# A Bb C C#

You just need to know how to use them.
Quote by griffRG7321

i love you
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by griffRG7321

This wins. Threads over guys, lets move on to another modes thread!
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

just listened to it again.... it's in C minor. and the progression is similar to Sultans, but not the same.

scales that are appropriate/ most commonly used in this situation = C minor, C minor pentatonic, C minor blues

btw, there is a solo at around 1:15, sounds like it's using the minor pentatonic scale. Id suggest learning it to get some ideas and feel.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 28, 2011,
Here's another take on it; the A7 is the dominant (V) of D minor so it tonicizes and leads quite well back to the D. The Bb7 tonicizes the A7 through means of something called a tritone subsitution.

If you want to get thorough with this you can play D minor (pentatonic or natural) over the Dm and the Dm/C then Bb mixolydian on the Bb7 and then the 5th mode of D harmonic minor on the A7( aka D harmonic minor starting on A )

These scales would certainly add some spice to your playing... but maybe this isn't the style you're going for;

however the chords fly by so fast so I wouldnt worry about nailing every appropriate chord tone/ scale.

The "secret scale" in this case would simply by D minor (natural or pentatonic).