ill be playing mainly metal, thrash, should i get a 6505 112 with speaker upgrade and tube upgrade, or mini rectifier, price isnt the issue i know ill be buying a cab with the mini.

which would be better? ill be playing in my apt, reg volumes. no plans for rehearsal or gigging.

or possibly other amp options that are high quality and better than these? home use oriented.
Last edited by Axxion24 at Dec 28, 2011,
I like the 5150, but I'd take a Mesa over one anyday.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You should'nt even consider the Mini Recto when an EVH 5150 50W costs just the same and has 2x the wattage and 6L6s like REAL rectos have.
Ultra/XXX/JSX over both.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
the lower watts of the mini recto i thought was good for home use? if i want to crank it to get good sound without disturbing the general public i thought lower watts was better? i was thinking more quality sound over volume. or are those heads you guys suggested better for metal?
Quote by FearMyLightning
The Mini Recto is an OP'd piece of garbage compared to the 50W 5150.

how so? didnt they both come out this year? where can i check out some vids/reviews of the 5150?
Quote by FearMyLightning

No way. Both are great amps. They both impressed me when I played them. It really comes down to they have a different feel for metal sounds. The 5150 did seem more versitile to me, however.

The 6505 112 isnt in the league with the two mentioned above.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by FearMyLightning

Are you talking about the EVH 5150III or the 6505+ combo? Yes I'd take the 5150 III, but that wasn't the question.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Are you talking about the EVH 5150III or the 6505+ combo? Yes I'd take the 5150 III, but that wasn't the question.

well i asked the question thinking these were some of the best amps in my price range, im willing to spend about 1300 on a head, maybe more, but some of my concerns are sound quality/volume because ill be playing in my apt, and usually you have to turn up tube amps to get a nice sound, otherwise they are muddy and dull. and i really like that mesa hollowed out crunch, and that goes well with the metallica sound i want to have, but any suggestions are welcome, you guys will pretty much be dictating what i get. so please dont be biased (but make sure your tubes are), but give all the info you can.
You may want to check out the Jet City Picovalve it is a pretty nice amp and gets nice tones. They are $250 at AMS/zzounds then just get a 1x12 or 2x12 cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Axxion24
well i asked the question thinking these were some of the best amps in my price range, im willing to spend about 1300 on a head, maybe more, but some of my concerns are sound quality/volume because ill be playing in my apt, and usually you have to turn up tube amps to get a nice sound, otherwise they are muddy and dull. and i really like that mesa hollowed out crunch, and that goes well with the metallica sound i want to have, but any suggestions are welcome, you guys will pretty much be dictating what i get. so please dont be biased (but make sure your tubes are), but give all the info you can.

Guess it's your definition of loud My 6505 combo doesn't start sound "right" until it gets to above the level needed to compete with the TV. Below that, it sounds muffled and laid back. It doesn't bad, but it's ont what it should be. Modern high gain amps get their overdrive from the preamp, so it's not like you need to have it at ear bleeding volumes to be metal.

With my mesa cab, my 6505 does a pretty damn good job for Metallica tones. Need to tweak a few things if I want to change between older/newer. The new mini recto won't be a bad amp, but it's not the same as a dual rectifier. For the same money new, I'd get the mini 5150 III. Or a used dual recto or maybe luck out on a nicely priced mark IV combo.

And of course there's always the modeling amp route. Vypyr 60 should play nicer with low volume use. Which is the way I'm starting to lean myself.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Also, take a look at the Baron Snott Watt. Top quality build, low wattage, and high gain.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by FearMyLightning
You should'nt even consider the Mini Recto when an EVH 5150 50W costs just the same and has 2x the wattage and 6L6s like REAL rectos have.

I would definitely take this advice. I feel like the 5153 would do all that you'd need and then some.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
$437 for the 6505 brand new at amazon though dude.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I don't like the 6505 1x12. IDK, it just needs that depth of 2+ speakers, and closed back too.

Made in China is gross.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I don't like the 6505 1x12. IDK, it just needs that depth of 2+ speakers, and closed back too.

Made in China is gross.

6505 112 is a closed back. i had it for a few days and returend it cus guitar center lied and said it was new when it had old tubes and a messed up reverb box, leaving me to find a real amp
Quote by classicrocker01
Also, take a look at the Baron Snott Watt. Top quality build, low wattage, and high gain.

Listen to this guy. Snott Watts rule.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
18w is still pretty damn loud. If you think you're going to be able to crank that in an apartment, think again. The Recto also has an EL-84 power section, which I'm not a fan of, especially for high gain. While it does sound significantly better than I thought it would, there's no way in hell I'd pay a grand for that amp.

5150 III Mini > Mini Recto, any day of the week
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
18w is still pretty damn loud. If you think you're going to be able to crank that in an apartment, think again. The Recto also has an EL-84 power section, which I'm not a fan of, especially for high gain. While it does sound significantly better than I thought it would, there's no way in hell I'd pay a grand for that amp.

5150 III Mini > Mini Recto, any day of the week

i thought at low volumes, your not even tapping into your power section? meaning the differnece in 6l6 vs el84 or 34, whichever the mini uses, goes out the window as your really just hearing all the preamps and circuitry?

also i cant really find any videos or anything on the 5150 mini, not even a real review, kinda shooting in the dark with finding the right amp.
Last edited by Axxion24 at Dec 28, 2011,
Guitar World review

Tone King Review, same player as before

NAMM Expo-Same player once again

Take a listen. The sound won't be too much different from the 100 watt either probably.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by Axxion24
i thought at low volumes, your not even tapping into your power section? meaning the differnece in 6l6 vs el84 or 34, whichever the mini uses, goes out the window as your really just hearing all the preamps and circuitry?

also i cant really find any videos or anything on the 5150 mini, not even a real review, kinda shooting in the dark with finding the right amp.

If that were true, then you could just run a preamp straight to the board, without any power amp and cab modeling, and it'd sound great. If you've ever heard what a distortion pedal sounds plugged directly into a recording interface, then you'd know what I'm talking about.

Of course the power section comes into play. It doesn't matter what volume level you're pushing it at, it will always have a general colorization on the sound. It will make a bigger difference as the volume is pushed, yes, but it's usually quite easy to distinguish between an EL-84 amp and an EL-34/6L6 amp, at very low volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com