hi guys, i'm looking for a tube amp, for under £500 which has only 1 chanel. I have a unit which is capable of producing a very very nice distortion sound, and as a result buying anything with built in distortion (or anything else for that matter as it can do most other efx too) would be a waste of money.
Can anyone suggest a good amp for this, or do you think that, seeing as how my unit synthasises other amps and cabs anyway, It doesn't need to be tube and I can stick with the 1 chanel, actually very nice, solid state I already have
im not sure whether you realise this or not but... no mfx pedal will ever produce distortion OR cleans as well as a £500 tube amp and neither will a solid state. an mfx wont create as good amp sims as the proper amp either.

BTW - we need to know the genres you play and what wattage youre looking for. also - most 1 channel amps have a gain knob anyway. its just mixed together.
Last edited by itamar100 at Dec 28, 2011,
ive been looking at the custom defender 5 h, sucks not many reviews and cant tyr it anywhere though.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by itamar100
im not sure whether you realise this or not but... no mfx pedal will ever produce distortion OR cleans as well as a £500 tube amp and neither will a solid state. an mfx wont create as good amp sims as the proper amp either.

BTW - we need to know the genres you play and what wattage youre looking for. also - most 1 channel amps have a gain knob anyway. its just mixed together.

This, and why did you make a thread if
I can stick with the 1 chanel, actually very nice, solid state I already have
?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
well i wanted to know what people think? i know that i can't get the same sound, but that doesn't necessarilly mean it'll be bad?
the reason i started the thread was because i want to know if people think i'm better off with a new amp, cause if not, i'll get a new guitar. it's one or the other.
I play anything from alt. rock, to metalcore, but i'm looking more at a metal amp, one capable of very clean cleans (if you see what i mean) as well as (if you think my efx thing wont be good enough) good distortion
tone i want = Avenged sevenfold, through to asking alexandria
Jet City JCA5012 or a Peavey 6505 will easily suit your needs. the JCA will have much better cleans though.
to tell you whether youre better off with a new guitar or amp i need to know what gear you have but the case is usually that the amp shapes most of your tone. a bad guitar through a good amp will sound decent but a good guitar through a bad amp will sound bad.
Vox lil Night Train or Night Train if you can get the cash.
"I wanted water but I'll walk through the fire"
Quote by Cruel Angel
Vox lil Night Train or Night Train if you can get the cash.

ah, yes. that is a vox that will do the trick.
that looks really nice, the vox night train. there's a 50 watt version which is 500 quid... which is doable, but leaves me no money at all to put towards getting a new guitar later, would the 15 watt version be usable for live setups? i'm fairly sure the 2 watt lil night train wouldn't. am i right?
The 15watts one would not remain clean for long in a band situation. Maybe a used Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX? Nice cleans and loads of gain.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.