I just got a Vypyr Tube 60. Considering my old amp was a Spider, I am new to tubes and actually "building" a tone. I have watched some videos and I have a pretty good idea how the amp works. However I have a few problems and questions.

To start, whenever I first start up the amp there is a lot of feedback that slowly fades out for about 15 seconds. This is not a big deal considering it goes away, I was just wondering what the reason for this was. This is also after warming up the tubes in standby for about 30-45 seconds.

Another problem I have is that all of the stompbox effects are completely bypassed. For some reason all of them dont work. I have gone into edit mode and played with the parameters and I still can't get them to work. Is there something I'm missing?

And last, I just wanted to know some general safety or tips for tube amps. I know about warming them up and stuff but if there is anything else I should know please share.
Quote by itamar100
before switching them off put them on standby and wait for 1 minute.

This isn't entirely necessary. Putting an amp in standby when turning it off is simply to mute the output to the speaker.

You may want to update the Vypyr's firmware which can be done via the USB or midi cables.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
This isn't entirely necessary. Putting an amp in standby when turning it off is simply to mute the output to the speaker.

You may want to update the Vypyr's firmware which can be done via the USB or midi cables.

This.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
As others have said try the firmware updates, but it's very strange that you don't have any stomp-boxes working. If the updates doesn't fix this then I would guess you got a "bad egg" and just need to swap it out for a new one.

As for the feedback you get your getting try turning your guitars volume to 0 when your turn it on, if there is still feedback then it's something with the amp but if it disappears your guitar was probably just picking up interference from some electronics or another electric guitar.
I just realized that the EQ settings are not working now either. This is strange because a few days ago it worked fine. I will try the update. How exactly do I do this? Do I have to download the firmware or do I just plug it in and it will do the rest?
Sounds more like a broken amp now. Get it to a tech/return it to the shop.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Sounds more like a broken amp now. Get it to a tech/return it to the shop.

That could be true but it doesnt seem right that it just wouldnt work like that, considering it recently worked. I feel like it is a setting or something that I am doing wrong, but I can't quite figure it out.
Quote by guitarocker100
I just realized that the EQ settings are not working now either. This is strange because a few days ago it worked fine. I will try the update. How exactly do I do this? Do I have to download the firmware or do I just plug it in and it will do the rest?

Plug it into your computer and check the Peavey documentation on the Vypyr. You could probably access it via their web site.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The amp has the equivalent of a computer behind it, so although it may have been fine it's still prone to failure. The peavy website has step by step instructions on how to add the fireware to your amp, I hope this fixes it they are nice amps.