Ok im sure this has been said but i cant find anyGOOD advice anywhere, i have a marshall AVT150 set to sound pretty 80s like poison, Guns, white lion, etc. but i need a good overdrive to boost it and smooth out the tone a bit. get the authentic 80s tone. im playing through a superstrat so the guitar isnt an issue. any advice? Thanks
Ibanez TS808
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Boosts don't work so well with an SS amp from my experience, but if you must

Ibanez TS808
Maxon OD808
Ibanez TS9

The usualy tubescreamer type ODs.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by olix95
i personally wouldnt but any tube screamer. overpriced imo

The TS7 is around $60.

And the AVT isn't a good Marshall, sorry OP. You'd want to have at least a TUBE Marshall to claim that, and lots of their cheaper tube amps aren't very good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The TS7 is around $60.

And the AVT isn't a good Marshall, sorry OP. You'd want to have at least a TUBE Marshall to claim that, and lots of their cheaper tube amps aren't very good.

TS7 is $40. But discontinued. Can still be had cheap used though. Same with the TS5. For some reason the TS10 has skyrocketed in price lately; used to be able to pick those up really cheap. A used TS9 is around $60 (and I happen to be selling a modded one ). Used 808 is around $120, though I wouldn't pay the premium. TS9 is built just as nice and sounds the same for all practical purposes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
a boost or od is out of the queston on that amp, its a hybrid, with a tube preamp section, now if i remember right ODs and Boosts work by pushing the power section
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
Quote by Branado
a boost or od is out of the queston on that amp, its a hybrid, with a tube preamp section, now if i remember right ODs and Boosts work by pushing the power section

nah, they boost the preamp

but otherwise, i agree that an OD pedal would be pointless on this particular amp.
Quote by Branado

Just brimming with wrongness. It doesn't have a tube preamp section per se. A small section of the preamp has a solitary tube in it.
Boosts work by pushing the preamp.

Calling an AVT a Marshall should be against the law. You are going about it wrong. What you need is a new amp. Stick whatever boost in front of it you like, it won't help. They are just a very bad amp. All you'll do with a boost is bring out the worst in the amp, it won't help it at all. All you'll do is make it sound even more fizzy, nasally and ice picky.
What you need is something like a JCM800 2203/2204 with a tubescreamer in front of it. That's hair metal. Well.....that or a Soldano SLO. An SLO is what you really want but who can afford one of those?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'll try to give you a helpful answer here. You don't really want an OD pedal, what you want is a distortion pedal to use on the clean channel. As for recommendations, I would say the MXR Custom Badass '78 or the Suhr Riot would be great, maybe even the Zvex Box of Metal or a Boss HM-2.
Quote by VegasBlues
I'll try to give you a helpful answer here. You don't really want an OD pedal, what you want is a distortion pedal to use on the clean channel. As for recommendations, I would say the MXR Custom Badass '78 or the Suhr Riot would be great, maybe even the Zvex Box of Metal or a Boss HM-2.

I was just coming here to give this advice. If a new amp isn't in your budget, get the MXR 78 Custom Badass.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Definitely your best bet if you can't afford a better amp is to run an AVT clean and use distortion pedals, not a boost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Also, where do you live? There is a plethora of builders on here.

Kickass tonez broscro
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Cathbard
Definitely your best bet if you can't afford a better amp is to run an AVT clean and use distortion pedals, not a boost.

This.

Marshall Guv'nor pedal. (MKI would be ideal but I have heard good and bad about the newer one.) You could even boost the Guv'nor for more gain or run another distortion pedal into it- MXR D+ for instance (called gain stacking.)

Followed by a chorus pedal on a narrow sweep.

Followed by delay set to be more of a slight reverb.

This is what I have done to get a decent 80's arena rock sound.
in my experience the avt hated being boosted
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?