Hi guys, i'm sorry if there's already a million and one threads on this already, but I was wondering, I've had my Gibson SG faded now for like a year and a half, and for some reason it seems that thing can never stay in tune. I used it at practice today, and it seemed like every 10 seconds I had to re-tune it, and could never get it tune. I know its not the intonation, because ive checked it and its perfect. The tuners it came with are labeled Gibson Deluxe, so I was wondering if they could be the problem, because I heard they weren't the greatest. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1
How many winds do you have on each string peg?
Are they grover tuners?
If so, are the screws end the end of the tuners tight?
how old are the strings?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
SG's, by design, have tuning stability issues due to the shallow neck pocket. Over the years the neck will put up and out of the pocket from the string tension and I've helped reset the neck on a few dated SG's. But all of that is irrelevant since Gibson started using a longer pocket and yours is fairly new .

Your tuning problem is either due to the way you restring a guitar or the tuners themselves. The "Gibson Deluxe" are some lackluster tuners but they shouldn't loose tuning as bad as you claim, my biggest problem with them was the G-string going out of tune easily and wear on the low E from going between E Standard and Drop D. Grover tuners are supposedly a drop-in replacement for these.. I bought a set of 18:1's and had to drill new screw holes for 'em, just some thought.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
The strings I have are relatively new, but I've had this problem pretty much since I got it. I do put a good amount of slack when I string it up and do the over-under thing, so idk if slipping would be the problem, but ill give this a shot:

Quote by Ippon

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
This is a little late, but i tried some of this stuff and this problem plagued me over practice this weekend. I know its not how i'm stringing it, cuz my other guitars stay in tune and I string them the same way

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
I could be a problem with the nut and the strings catching there.

Is the neck stable? Do you apply a lot of pressure on it while you're playing? Not likely the problem, but anyway... (It's an SG.)
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
I could be a problem with the nut and the strings catching there.

Is the neck stable? Do you apply a lot of pressure on it while you're playing? Not likely the problem, but anyway... (It's an SG.)

Now that you mention it , i do put a lot of pressure on it while playing chords, but the neck is pretty stable

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
could just be that the machine heads are worn out or that they're back-lashing a little bit. once you've made sure the nut is properly cut and that its not something structural (there are usually other symptoms of structural problems), its time for new machine heads.

a set of good tuners (grovers, gotoh's, schallers) shouldn't cost more than $75 and they can make a world of difference
Quote by krehzeekid
could just be that the machine heads are worn out or that they're back-lashing a little bit. once you've made sure the nut is properly cut and that its not something structural (there are usually other symptoms of structural problems), its time for new machine heads.

a set of good tuners (grovers, gotoh's, schallers) shouldn't cost more than $75 and they can make a world of difference

Sweet, once I get my first paycheck, I know where it'ws going... but how do I check if the nut is properly cut btw?

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah