Recently I stopped anchoring my hand onto the bridge because I realised that it creates lots of tension in the picking arm.

Now whenever I don't need to palm mute, I just hover my hand above the strings and use my wrist to pick but I still get quite a bit of tension. Does anyone have pictures or tips in where I should place my arm? I'm not sure if I should be resting my arm on the body of the guitar or whatever.

This problem just gets worse whenever I'm palm muting or trying to do a gallop/triplet (whatever it's called).

Any ideas?
I Have the exact same problem, I finally Kicked the anchor habit because it is bad but now my arm stays so tense it literally hurts for a few hours after playing, the muscles and joints feel like I was beating off for 12 hours straight or something....sorry no tips for how to fix this though
Here you go.

http://www.guitarlessons365.com/intermediate-guitar-lesson-picking-hand-positioning-for-fast-playing-styles/

It says fast picking, but really it applies to any speed as you want your technique to be the same fast and slow preferably.