Page 1 of 2
Endorsed by MatrixClaw

Hey guys, I've created a small survey in order to help improve my guitar gear demo's and would really appreciate if you could take it. Should only take you a minute or two and would really help me out.

Cheers!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H9JD2FS
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Ippon
Completed this the 1st you posted it.

Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by coolstoryangus
done

Thanks!
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
If the video is about a pedal, I like having it on the screen to see the settings, but if they're going to play with it on the same setting for a minute or so, I prefer to have the camera switch back and forth between the two, just because looking at a video of a close zoom on a pedal is pretty boring. Of course, the MOST important thing is the audio. Because of this, unless it's a Pro Guitar Shop video (no real reason, I just find myself actually watching their videos) I usually just turn over to another page. The best way to get information and impressions across in a review is with a voice over and not text, in my opinion. There should be music playing (through the gear) for about 60-70% of the video; you can talk about a pedal all day but I won't know how it sounds until I hear it.

(Also did survey)

EDIT: Most_Triumphant makes a good point too.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at Dec 28, 2011,
I hate when they review a mid level guitar (lets say a Epiphone Custom LP and they play it through a $4000 Hiwatt stack. Match the gear with the rest of the gear. Also, always state what other gear is being used.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
done
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's all going to be taken into consideration so any ideas are welcome!
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by coolstoryangus
suit or boot

I knew that was you

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
i typed some stuff into the survey's others box.

but for me, i would expect to see the product with humbuckers and single coils, preferably with an amp that is regarded as 'good' nothing cheap and shitty, but not an amp that people are not familiar with either way boutique.

so IMO to be well rounded, SC's and HB's good known quality familiar amp. show settings.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I do that for my videos anyway. Just depends on what range of the gear I use. American standard strats or HW1's, LP Traditionals or Studios? Suppose it depends on what I'm doing.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
With pedals I like to hear it turned off regularly so I can hear the difference. Not just at the start but after changing settings as well.
With amps I want to hear it without any effects whatsoever. Maybe something kicked in towards the end to show how it reacts to things like a tubescreamer but primarily I want to hear it with nothing else affecting the tone. You can make just about anything sound decent with enough effects. It's how it sounds unaffected that matters.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Amps, probably not gonna be a big thing for me to demo. Mostly because there's about a million and one demos already out there for any certain type of amp. Not saying I won't try, I'm mainly going for pedals at the moment because people send them to me to demo.
But will take it into account
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Use common amps..
AC30 (you knew I would say that)
HRD
DRRI
Orange
Marshall

Pedal demos done through amps that maybe 50 people in the world own, doesn't really give me an idea of what the pedal is capable of.

I like to know what it sounds like on my gear.
That is being a bit selfish yeah, so a pedal being played on any amp that is common and a lot of people are familiar with it, is good IMO.

And if the ad copy or the demo'er refers to the pedal as a <NAME AMP BRAND HERE> "in a box", have an actual <NAME AMP BRAND HERE> to compare.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by CodeMonk
Use common amps..
AC30 (you knew I would say that)
HRD
DRRI
Orange
Marshall

Pedal demos done through amps that maybe 50 people in the world own, doesn't really give me an idea of what the pedal is capable of.

I like to know what it sounds like on my gear.
That is being a bit selfish yeah, so a pedal being played on any amp that is common and a lot of people are familiar with it, is good IMO.

And if the ad copy or the demo'er refers to the pedal as a <NAME AMP BRAND HERE> "in a box", have an actual <NAME AMP BRAND HERE> to compare.

Obviously using common gear is a given, however it's impossible to please absolutely everyone. No way am I gonna get a Marshall, Orange, Vox and a Fender amp all in one demo unless it was a purely sound driven video and I could quickly cut to them. Having two amps, if it's a Vox and say something a bit hotter like a Plexi or an Orange that'd be suitable, would it not?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
i put a little bit more thought into what i would do if i were doing this.

single coils and humbuckers both

the pedal switching between on and off at a reasonable amount of time is nice to give you your baseline tone again.

i would say as far as amps goes, i would go something classic marshall and classic fender, unless the pedals are engineered for high gain, then it would be the 6505, dual rec, etc.

so plexi and twin/deluxe reverb.

i also want to know EVERYTHING between your hands and the video as it streams. i want to know the guitar, pickups, cables, amp, tubes, speakers, and cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Eppicurt
Obviously using common gear is a given, however it's impossible to please absolutely everyone. No way am I gonna get a Marshall, Orange, Vox and a Fender amp all in one demo unless it was a purely sound driven video and I could quickly cut to them. Having two amps, if it's a Vox and say something a bit hotter like a Plexi or an Orange that'd be suitable, would it not?

Don't have to use all of them in one demo.
Quote by Cathbard
With pedals I like to hear it turned off regularly so I can hear the difference. Not just at the start but after changing settings as well.
With amps I want to hear it without any effects whatsoever.
+(x=1/effort)

It's really nice to hear the differences to the amps response when it is engaged, at different settings. Gets blurred together when said pedal is engaged for 5 minutes.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Stick to the essentials. I really don't care what shoes gearmanndude is wearing, or that he has a coiled cable. Tossing in tidbits and anecdotes are fine, but unless the leather guitar pick you're using is from a Keith Richards skin graft, leave it out.
I am a fake mountain.
I don't think it matters that much what amp you use as long as we get to hear the amp on it's own well enough. it would be nice if it was something everybody knows (like a plexi, fender twin, ac30, etc) but as long as we get to hear the amp dry it isn't really that necessary.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i also want to know EVERYTHING between your hands and the video as it streams. i want to know the guitar, pickups, cables, amp, tubes, speakers, and cab.

I agree with this. No one ever states what pickups or speakers are being used, unless of course it is a speaker or pickup demo.

I also want to know if the amp settings are all flat at noon or if something is cut or boosted on the amp for pedal demos.

I also hate it when the person plays a song by a band that I have never heard of and I like the song but they don't state what the song is.
done.

guess which one was me

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
some good things here that i agree with. hearing just the pedal(on and off) as cathbard suggested is a must for a good demo. i also agree that demoing it through an amp that many players can identify with helps a great deal. i also prefer hearing a guitar through more than one amp as well, preferably a good clean one and one with a good overdrive sound. knowing what equiment was used during the demo is a good thing. i also like to see pedal demos that A/B with a common version of that effect (say overdrive x against a tubescreamer). this gives you a better idea of how it could be better for your sound.

on the whole i take all demos with a grain of salt as demoing gear myself is really the only sure fire way to know how it will sound for me.
Quote by DanTheHobbit
Stick to the essentials. I really don't care what shoes gearmanndude is wearing, or that he has a coiled cable. Tossing in tidbits and anecdotes are fine, but unless the leather guitar pick you're using is from a Keith Richards skin graft, leave it out.

That's what this site is all about !
Even the audio was edited to skip the talking and intros....
All demos should be done with a Bassman and a structural variant (dual rec?).
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I mainly look for The Tone King, and make sure he throws me one of these bad boys

I'll do the survey seriously.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by Tom 1.0
done.

guess which one was me

Gee, I wonder

....it can be arranged.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by greeny23
$45

$46
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I didn't mention it in my survey I submitted, but make sure the rest of the gear is appropriate for the quality of gear you're reviewing. If you're recording a more expensive pedal, you should be reviewing it on an amp and guitar of similar quality that people who would buy that pedal might have, but at the same time, I wouldn't suggest you go with something super high end for either, because then you're only appealing to a small amount of people. Unless it's a really cheap pedal, I would suggest you don't review it with anything that costs less than ~$1000 new (maybe not on the amp though, since if you're doing it on a clean channel, Fender makes some great tube amps for cheap). That would be at a price point that most serious musicians would be able to afford, but won't turn away musicians who have a little more cash to drop.

I'd also like to see effects used on different setups. If it's a delay (or something of the like), I'd like to hear it on a clean amp, and on a heavily distorted amp. If it's an overdrive, the same goes. One single coil pickup guitar (USA Standard Strat?) and a humbucker (PRS/Les Paul) should give a good comparison between the two main spectrums of guitar sounds.

Keep the variables as small as possible. If you're reviewing an amp head, ALWAYS use the same cab, with the same mic, in the same position. This will give people a much better idea of what the AMP actually sounds like, and not the combination of both (unless you're reviewing the whole stack), especially if you're using the same guitar.

Don't do any post-processing, aside from maybe a LPF, if and only if, it really needs it (ie: the sound representation is extremely inaccurate to what's in the room, because there's too much fizz). Use a standard mic everyone is familiar with to record, like the Shure SM57. Make sure you use an interface that has good mic preamps, but is inexpensive (think Focusrite Saffire 6). Don't record in a treated room - Most people won't be playing in one, so recording in a flat room isn't going to represent the sound of what it will sound like in an untreated room.

That's all I can think of ATM
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Done

The biggest thing I hate when trying to watch gear demos is when the track is just drowned in post processing, layering, and a bunch of other instruments thrown in. Feardse comes immediately to mind for this. To me, this really defeats the purpose, because yeah, it may sound nice, but I still don't know what the hell the amp sounds like!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2