Like the title says.

The overdrive I'm looking for is one that sounds nice on an actual Tube amp, none of that Boss SD-1 bullshit, I want my old Gemini to sound nice.

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the additional info thread:

Genre: Blues, Rock, Punk, etc. Favorite guitarists are David Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix (who isn't?) Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend and Jimmy Page.

Current gear: Boss SD-1 and OS-2

Closest city: Worcester, Mass (I know there's a GC in Millbury."

New or used: Doesn't matter, used might get me some higher quality stuff for a lower price.

Home or gig: Don't really gig, so at home use.

Budget: In the title.
Last edited by Blahman179 at Dec 28, 2011,
Depends. Do you want an OD to boost, or an OD for light distortion?

I rather like the Digitech Bad Monkey for boosting and light distortion, but a lot of people only use them for a boost to their already-dirty amp. You could also check out the Ibanez TS7. If you want an OD for dirt tones on a cleaner amp, then the Barber Dirty Bomb is at the top end of your budget, as well as the MI Audio Crunch Box.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I quite like the Ross type distortion. I built a Liquid Drive based on the Ross distortion from Fuzz Central and I actually love how smooth and clear it sounds on my Valveking.

You may like the Fulltone OCD, you might be able to find one used.

Or the Bad Monkey like Raijouta recommended.
+1 for the ibanez ts7.

but even better would be the Digitech Hardwire CM-2. its versatile and can be used as a boost or a really nice crunch.

for slightly over you budget you could get a Vox Cooltron Over The Top Boost which is a pedal that replicates the vox top boost channel. itd REALLY suit your needs i think and it has an ACTUAL PREAMP TUBE inside it (i think its a 12AY7).

itll suit you amazingly well i think and can be uses as distortion or boost.
I've got a Bad Monkey... it's "okay, I guess".

For around $100 (or so) you could get the ultimate OD pedal -the TS9.
I'm kinda wishing I would have spent a little extra on a tube screamer now.
You can find TS9's, TS9DX's and TS808's (unmodified) on ebay for around what you're willing to spend.
Modified pedals are significantly higher.

Here's a TS9DX for a reasonable opening bid
Mean People Suck.
Quote by Raijouta
Depends. Do you want an OD to boost, or an OD for light distortion?

I rather like the Digitech Bad Monkey for boosting and light distortion, but a lot of people only use them for a boost to their already-dirty amp. You could also check out the Ibanez TS7. If you want an OD for dirt tones on a cleaner amp, then the Barber Dirty Bomb is at the top end of your budget, as well as the MI Audio Crunch Box.

Seeing as how I've been focusing on playing and not on sound, I'll put it this way:

I want that 60's-70's Blues Rock sound, for example: Free/Bad Company sound, Boston sound, Lyn. Skyn. sound, Santana sound (I know he might use compression or a delay, I want the base sound,) etc. things like that.
Here's a TS9 for less than $90 -including shipping.

$80 for the pedal (buy it now price)
$9 for shipping
Mean People Suck.
I'll keep an eye on it, for about the same price and the convenience of getting it in person, GC has one for $100.

For the same price I could aslo look up the MXR M77, I've had my eye on ot for a while, but I'm not sure it's a Tube Driver though.

so, any ideas for distortions too, and OD's for light Distortion.
Last edited by Blahman179 at Dec 28, 2011,
BBE Green Screamer, or GMD Luther Drive. Both TS808 Clones for around that.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
+1 to the Luther but also for the sub $100 bracket I would also look at the Custom Badass Modified Overdrive by MXR I think it is the M77. Looks and sounds pretty good.
Danelectro Cool Cat series. The Transparent OD is apparently fantastic. I only have the tremolo, but it's seriously a quality pedal and an effect that outshines everything else I own that says 'Danelectro' on it haha
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Just decided on what I wanted.

There's a B.Y.O.C of the "Rams Head," era Big Muff Pi used by David Gilmour.

It's only $80, gonna get my Dad to help me assemble it.
That is not an overdrive pedal. That's a fuzz pedal. Lot more harsh than an OD.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by Sid McCall
Danelectro Cool Cat series. The Transparent OD is apparently fantastic. I only have the tremolo, but it's seriously a quality pedal and an effect that outshines everything else I own that says 'Danelectro' on it haha

I've always though Danelectro made cheap FX, but after looking through Guitar Center, they have pedals for an upwards of $50.
Quote by Blahman179
The thread says Overdrive and Distortion, so yeah.

Once again still not exactly the same. But if it's the sound you want then more power to you.
Quote by barden1069
if not too late, my BBE Green Screamer is my favorite TS based pedal (808), when BBE was less popular (not that they are now), they had some killer prices from this guy on ebay. i paid $40 for my Green Sceramer, and the Sonic Maximizer was like $50, with free shipping. now they cost a lot more. i wished i would have picked up a two timer delay back then.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/