Hey bros!, i'm seeking some help on here plz , i'm having trouble with learning Guthrie Govan's Waves, by the moment i'm working on the intro, and no matter what, seems like i cant remember it fast enough to play it on time (i cant play it full speed yet, im talking at like 40 on metronome 'speed'), is there a way i could practice that will make me really 'save it on my mind' and remember it fast enough to play it correctly? I tryed with/without metronome already and just cant get it.

BTW I just strarted learning it yesterday, that's why is still so complicated? do i just need to keep practicing it? or there's something i can do to get there faster (not play it faster but take less practice time to get it right...)

your help will be Really appreciated

EDIT: forgot to mention, i've been playing for 2 1/2 years, if that's needed to be known.....
ESP LTD MH-100QM STB with Suhr SSV-N & SSH-B
Phil Pro MS-20
Vox V845 Classic Wah
Fender Mustang IV V.2
Fender Mustang I
Last edited by ADOLF1612 at Dec 28, 2011,
Practicing it slowly and correctly is the way to go, so you're doing it right, so to speak. If I remember, the intro was a bunch of sliding notes and rather long, so it could be difficult to remember. You could do something like the technique described here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423285

I've used that for a couple things and after about 6 days or so the music starts to become second nature.
Quote by ADOLF1612
Hey bros!, i'm seeking some help on here plz , i'm having trouble with learning Guthrie Govan's Waves, by the moment i'm working on the intro, and no matter what, seems like i cant remember it fast enough to play it on time (i cant play it full speed yet, im talking at like 40 on metronome 'speed'), is there a way i could practice that will make me really 'save it on my mind' and remember it fast enough to play it correctly? I tryed with/without metronome already and just cant get it.

BTW I just strarted learning it yesterday, that's why is still so complicated? do i just need to keep practicing it? or there's something i can do to get there faster (not play it faster but take less practice time to get it right...)

your help will be Really appreciated

EDIT: forgot to mention, i've been playing for 2 1/2 years, if that's needed to be known.....

Take it slow enough that you don't have to rush to think about the next part of the riff. If you're going too fast to think then you're going too fast full stop, slow down and keep it slow until you don't have to think about what to do, then you can start to speed it up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
As has been said, you need to practice more. There's no way around it. What I like to do to make the process easier would be to break the part of the song (in this case, the intro) into even more parts that I can comprehend.

I then practice that one part. Then I go to the next. At some point I'll try to link the parts together into one whole thing.
Make sure you actually know the song before you try to play it. Listen to it over and over until you've memorised every note and can sing or hum it all back along to the recording.

It's much easier to learn to play something if you know what it is you're trying to play - common sense when you think about it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
mmmm, exactly what i tought i have to do, take it slow and practice until i memorize it completely, then take the speed, heheh Really thanks everyone! gotta start right now.

Yes i've listened to the song really a LOT of times, actually i know (and can sing, hum) the whole song and all solos to the record (atually that's the case with the whole erotic cakes album xD) so i know how it sounds, it's just that i wanted to know how to get to memorize it faster...

Well gotta start to practice right now, I really want to learn this song, Thanks Everyone!!

EDIT: to (:-D): yeah i saw that thread yesterday, really interested in trying that method, gotta do it now :thumbsup:
ESP LTD MH-100QM STB with Suhr SSV-N & SSH-B
Phil Pro MS-20
Vox V845 Classic Wah
Fender Mustang IV V.2
Fender Mustang I
Last edited by ADOLF1612 at Dec 29, 2011,