Hi guys. I bought a firebird a few years ago. Since then, I've gained some knowledge about what sounds I like making

I play both my Les Paul and my Firebird on a line6 spider(though I wish I didn't). My LP sounds significantly brighter. I thought this could be because I have my LP in standard(.10 gauge) and my Firebird in C(.12 gauge). But I remember my firebird feeling dull even when it was in standard.

So I came to some possibilities:

A. My firebird has not had a proper setup since switching to C
B. my amp doesn't like my firebird
C. It's the pickups
or D. I'm stoopid

I probably sound like a major n00b. I guess I am with this sort of thing. I'm pretty bummed because a guitar that looks so cool, should not have to sound dull.
Quote by ethan_hanus
but I can't remember what the heck a firebird is, so I'm gonna go with crappy pickups...and crappy amp.

basically an explorer with shorter, rounded edges.
and crappy amp.

Which doesn't matter since he was playing both guitars through it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
First question first, does your Firebird have minibuckers, or full size humbuckers? Minibuckers aren't going to sound as strong as a full sized pickup. Second question would be which exact model of Firebird do you own? Different Firebirds are made from different woods, and that would have a significant effect on the tone you would get. A cheaper Epiphone Studio is made from different woods than a Gibson Firebird V for example. Speaking of this, I know some of the Neck-through Firebirds (specifically the V and the VII) had Walnut wings which gave them a deeper sound to counter the Minibuckers but I personally found it a little lacking in resonance (thus making it muddy sounding under high distortion IMO).

One last thing, a Firebird isn't going to sound like a LP, no matter how close the specs are. The bodies resonate differently, giving the Firebird a more bright tone than a LP would give (again IMO).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I guess maybe "bright" isn't the best word to describe the LP's sound. "Soulful" maybe. It has more of a presence. Firebird feels muddy
Quote by onemanarmy9
First question first, does your Firebird have minibuckers, or full size humbuckers? Minibuckers aren't going to sound as strong as a full sized pickup. Second question would be which exact model of Firebird do you own? Different Firebirds are made from different woods, and that would have a significant effect on the tone you would get.

It's a gibson Firebird V. It seems like it might be the minibuckers. They are slim and silver. I got it new in 2008.
Quote by onemanarmy9
...I personally found it [mini-buckers] a little lacking in resonance (thus making it muddy sounding under high distortion IMO).

I think this, in combination with the tuning, and lack of proper set up are to blame.
Quote by onemanarmy9
One last thing, a Firebird isn't going to sound like a LP, no matter how close the specs are. The bodies resonate differently, giving the Firebird a more bright tone than a LP would give (again IMO).

Trust me I don't want them to sound the same. I just feel like it (the firebird) can do more. If I decided to change the pickups, what should I know beforehand?
Quote by Pac_man0123
That changing your amp would get a lot more responsiveness out of your firebird than new pickups will.

see here
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by ethan_hanus
...and crappy amp.
Which doesn't matter since he was playing both guitars through it.
LP sounds good on it, Firebird, not so much.

Believe you me; I don't like my line6. If I could have a nice marshal with a fair selection of pedals...that would be great. But, I would much rather spend 200 bucks changing the pickups and possibly resolving my issue than spend $800+ for a new amp and effects.
Last edited by Lokobo at Dec 29, 2011,
Save up more money and buy a better amp. Doesn't have to be that expensive and in the long run you will get more out of it than changing the pickups.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Middle Pickup...

too much volume on the middle pickup will mud things up a bit...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
Middle Pickup...

too much volume on the middle pickup will mud things up a bit...

it's a firebird V, i think it's the firebird VII that has the middle pickup.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.