First; yes, I read the sticky. But I want a second opinion.

I live about a two hour drive away from a person who is selling a 5-ish year old ESP Viper on Kijiji for $550. To me this seems like an unrealistically low price and it makes me fear the guitar has something wrong with it, or may possibly just be a fake. He also claims it was played at Ozzfest. I asked him why he is parting with it, and he claims to have fallen on hard times and needing the money. This to me seems like a perfectly reasonable explanation for the low price (he also says he is selling a mesa amp although I haven't that ad) He says it's fine if I come try it out for myself, but my question is, do you think it's worth a four-hour round trip to take a shot at this?
Quote by samjbow
First; yes, I read the sticky. But I want a second opinion.

I live about a two hour drive away from a person who is selling a 5-ish year old ESP Viper on Kijiji for $550. To me this seems like an unrealistically low price and it makes me fear the guitar has something wrong with it, or may possibly just be a fake. He also claims it was played at Ozzfest. I asked him why he is parting with it, and he claims to have fallen on hard times and needing the money. This to me seems like a perfectly reasonable explanation for the low price (he also says he is selling a mesa amp although I haven't that ad) He says it's fine if I come try it out for myself, but my question is, do you think it's worth a four-hour round trip to take a shot at this?

pics, i demand pics
i think its worth the trip because if there is nothing wrong with it then you are getting an awesome guitar for about a third of the price it is new.
ask for the more pics i.e one of the neck and a pic of the serial number to confirm authenticity and to make sure the guitar has no neck problems
Quote by MM14
ask for the more pics i.e one of the neck and a pic of the serial number to confirm authenticity and to make sure the guitar has no neck problems

will do that right now.
Quote by samjbow
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-ESP-VIPER-BLACK-EMG-PICKUPS-NOT-LTD-W0QQAdIdZ330557216
Here's the ad, only two pics there though, he describes it as having a few minor scratches. No stealing the guitar from under me though!

That looks like one of the old Vipers. Pretty different a modern viper. The price is really average for that guitar, you're not stumbling upon some hidden treasure here. The biggest difference between these old ones and modern ones is that this one has a bolt on neck. It might be a maple neck, not mahogany.

EDIT: Your thread as prompted me to do some more research on these old bolt on models, and it seems that they were basically "low end ESPs", because at the time they came out (in the 90's), LTD didn't exist yet, so these were available as a cheaper alternative to the higher end ESPs. This is the first time I've seen a Viper variant - the Eclipse and Horizon variants are relatively common.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 28, 2011,
Thanks a lot offworld, I'm really glad that you told me this. I'll probably save my money for something else then!

Edit: I guess it's evidently a little older than 5-ish years and likely not used in the Ozzfest tour then? xD Glad I got that second opinion!
Last edited by samjbow at Dec 29, 2011,
It's hard for my not to be biased against bolt on neck guitars. I wasn't trying to say that it's a bad guitar. It's an ESP. I was only trying to point out how it differs from modern ESPs. I'm sure they're still good guitars.

I know at least someone on here has a bolt on ESP. Maybe if they see this they could compare their quality vs modern ESP quality.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
All the Lynch signatures also has bolt-on construction, But as offworld said, its an ESP and for that price it should be a really good deal!