Hey GG&A,

I hope you're all enjoying the holidays. I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate some input. My current gear is in my sig and I have a Visual Sound 1Spot to power my pedals. For Christmas I got a $100 gift certificate for Steve's Music (closest store is in Toronto, ON) and ~$85 cash to put towards gear.

I desperately need a quality tuner. I've been looking at the Boss TU-2 and the TC Electronics Polytune (which is on sale at Steve's for ~$95 right now), but I just read about the GSF Tuner , which will cost me $45 USD (after shipping) plus taxes. I haven't heard much about GSF pedals, but they're apparently really accurate and true bypass. Anyone have experience with this tuner? I could use my $100 gift cert to cover almost all of the cost of the TU-2 or Polytune, or I could purchase the GSF Tuner with my cash and put the gift cert toward other gear.

I'm also wondering where a delay should be placed relative to other pedals. Here's what I was doing before I got the Memory Boy. My tuner will be placed first in the signal chain.

Guitar ---> Blue Paisley Overdrive ---> Big Muff ---> Crybaby

The two delay sounds I'm going after are Explosions in the Sky (think The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place) and John Frusciante (think Unreachable off of The Empyrean). Explosions is a very clean, ambient sounding delay, and Frusciante's delay is applied to both clean and distorted guitar with/without a wah. I messed around with the Memory Boy between my distortions and wah earlier today. I got some good sounds with my overdrive, delay, and wah engaged, but I couldn't find a sound I was happy with when my fuzz was engaged.

Should I be placing the Memory Boy before/after my distortions, before/after my wah, or in the effects loop of my Tweaker? Also, I've heard that delay pedals often do best with an isolated power source. Should I be powering it with the 1Spot along with my other pedals or separately with its own adapter?

TL;DR
1. Boss TU-2, TC Electronics Polytune, or GSF Tuner?
2. Where should I place my Memory Boy in my signal chain for Explosions in the Sky and Frusciante sounds?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my questions!

Mike
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
I put my delay in the effects loop, that way the pre amp isn't adding distortion (and feedback) to the repeats.
i don't know what to say as far as tuners go for the pedal board. i need to pick one up, because somehow i have broken three tuners in the last two months. two in one day, however they were hand held ones.

as far as delay goes, i am not overly familiar with Frusciante, but i have heard tons of him with RHCP, but not too much as a solo artist.

my $.02 is this. tap tempo is a very nice thing to have, you can't really do that with an analog pedal, except one of the EHX's i believe the stereo memory man has a little bit of a digital side, enough to have tap tempo with the delay circuit is analog.

i like analog delays better myself, but in a lot of cases digital is more flexible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Your tuner should go before everything else, except maybe a volume pedal if the the tuner doesn't have a silent mode. Your wah should come next. Maybe also put your muff before your overdrive. The delay should be the last thing in your chain and in the effects loop. If you have the money go for the TC Elec.

Basically here is how you should order your pedals

Guitar->Tuner->Wah->Big Muff->OD->Delay in the effects loop.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Hey GG&A,
TL;DR
1. Boss TU-2, TC Electronics Polytune, or GSF Tuner?
2. Where should I place my Memory Boy in my signal chain for Explosions in the Sky and Frusciante sounds?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my questions!

Mike

1. Personally, I'd go for the GFS. I thought the polytune was accurate, but didn't like how the display worked. Try it out and see what you think.
2. In the loop, last pedal in your chain.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by trashedlostfdup
my $.02 is this. tap tempo is a very nice thing to have, you can't really do that with an analog pedal, except one of the EHX's i believe the stereo memory man has a little bit of a digital side, enough to have tap tempo with the delay circuit is analog.

Thanks for your input. I got the MB for Christmas from my parents. I asked for analog because I prefer the sound and the ability to self-oscillate. However, I've realized with this pedal how valuable tap tempo would be. The Deluxe Memory Boy, which is one model up from mine, has TT. I'm trying to figure out a way to upgrade to the Deluxe with my Christmas money. However, the store my parents bought it from isn't currently stocking it and will only give me store credit. Steve's in Toronto, which does have one in stock, will only buy my Memory Boy from me as a used pedal.

If I can't figure out a way to upgrade to the Deluxe, I can still control the delay time of my MB with an expression pedal. Does anyone have any experience with this? Obviously it's not going to be as easy to set as tap tempo, but would it be easy to match delay time to song tempo on the fly using this? The upgrade to the Deluxe seems worth the price difference to me because it would be less than the price of an expression pedal.

Quote by rob904
I put my delay in the effects loop, that way the pre amp isn't adding distortion (and feedback) to the repeats.

Quote by RealGuitarHero
Your tuner should go before everything else, except maybe a volume pedal if the the tuner doesn't have a silent mode. Your wah should come next. Maybe also put your muff before your overdrive. The delay should be the last thing in your chain and in the effects loop. If you have the money go for the TC Elec.

Quote by souperman08
1. Personally, I'd go for the GFS. I thought the polytune was accurate, but didn't like how the display worked. Try it out and see what you think.
2. In the loop, last pedal in your chain.

Thanks for your input guys! I'm going to place my MB in the FX loop and mess around with the signal chains you recommended to see how it all sounds. As for tuners, I prefer the Polytune over the TU-2, but the GFS is so cheap that it's worth considering. I watched some YouTube videos last night, but I'm hoping someone on these boards has one and can offer some insight.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Check out the Korg Pitch Black tuner. Its cheaper than the boss and the tc, it is very acurate and the display is great. As far as signal chain. I agree with real guitar hero except I would put the muff after the od, so that way if you want to use the od to boost the muff you can do that. You generally want a boosted signal going into a distortion which in turn beefs up the distorted sound. But yeah delay should ALWAYS be after the distortion or in the effects loop.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
I feel that tap tempo is only important if you are using the delay for rhythmic purposes. Most analog delays don't have tap tempo. I, personally, like to set my analog delay for feel, then the digital delays for rhythmic/pseudo harmonizing purposes.

Maybe keep the memory boy, it's a great delay. Down the line you can look for something with TT.

Have you thought about a reverb pedal?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The GFS tuner is pretty much a pitchblack at half the price.

For $45 you can't beat the GFS tuner.

I would never consider the boss tuners, and the polytune is a different tuner altogether.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by guitarguychris1
Check out the Korg Pitch Black tuner. Its cheaper than the boss and the tc, it is very acurate and the display is great. As far as signal chain. I agree with real guitar hero except I would put the muff after the od, so that way if you want to use the od to boost the muff you can do that. You generally want a boosted signal going into a distortion which in turn beefs up the distorted sound. But yeah delay should ALWAYS be after the distortion or in the effects loop.

I looked into the Korg Pitch Black and it seems like a solid tuner, but from what I've read the GFS is basically a Pitch Black copy for even less. So for me it's really between the GFS and the Polytune. Thanks for your input on the signal chain, too! I've always had my OD in front of my fuzz for that reason, but it's worth experimenting with it in different places.

Quote by Guitarbaddie
The GFS tuner is pretty much a pitchblack at half the price.

For $45 you can't beat the GFS tuner.

I would never consider the boss tuners, and the polytune is a different tuner altogether.

My thoughts exactly. I really like the Polytune feature, but not sure if it's really worth the extra $50. I could spend $45 on the GFS, then use my $100 gift cert at Steve's on gear other than a tuner.

Quote by LaidBack
I feel that tap tempo is only important if you are using the delay for rhythmic purposes. Most analog delays don't have tap tempo. I, personally, like to set my analog delay for feel, then the digital delays for rhythmic/pseudo harmonizing purposes.

Maybe keep the memory boy, it's a great delay. Down the line you can look for something with TT.

Thanks for the input. I really do enjoy the sounds of the Memory Boy, but I feel very limited as it's currently my only delay. I would ideally like a delay for rhythmic purposes, but I realize that it's tough to get every possible sound out of one delay, especially an analog. I will be adding at least one digital delay to my board in the future. Reverb and chorus pedals are next on my list after I get a proper tuner. I've tried out a smaller EHX reverb (can't remember the name...Small Stone?) and I really liked it, but I'll have to do more research and try more out before I make my decision. Any recommendations?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I looked into the Korg Pitch Black and it seems like a solid tuner, but from what I've read the GFS is basically a Pitch Black copy for even less. So for me it's really between the GFS and the Polytune. Thanks for your input on the signal chain, too! I've always had my OD in front of my fuzz for that reason, but it's worth experimenting with it in different places.

My thoughts exactly. I really like the Polytune feature, but not sure if it's really worth the extra $50. I could spend $45 on the GFS, then use my $100 gift cert at Steve's on gear other than a tuner.

Thanks for the input. I really do enjoy the sounds of the Memory Boy, but I feel very limited as it's currently my only delay. I would ideally like a delay for rhythmic purposes, but I realize that it's tough to get every possible sound out of one delay, especially an analog. I will be adding at least one digital delay to my board in the future. Reverb and chorus pedals are next on my list after I get a proper tuner. I've tried out a smaller EHX reverb (can't remember the name...Small Stone?) and I really liked it, but I'll have to do more research and try more out before I make my decision. Any recommendations?

I'd put the OD in front of the fuzz so you can boost the fuzz.

If you want to go the GFS route, then that is totally fine. Personally, I'd go for the Pitchblack.

The EHX reverbs, except for the Cathedral are pretty lame. Look into the T.C. Electronics Hall of Fame, Line 6 Verbzilla or even the Boss RV-5 isn't bad.

My advice, stick out the Memory Boy. It'll be just fine. Save for a digital delay with tap tempo.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
I'd put the OD in front of the fuzz so you can boost the fuzz.

If you want to go the GFS route, then that is totally fine. Personally, I'd go for the Pitchblack.

The EHX reverbs, except for the Cathedral are pretty lame. Look into the T.C. Electronics Hall of Fame, Line 6 Verbzilla or even the Boss RV-5 isn't bad.

My advice, stick out the Memory Boy. It'll be just fine. Save for a digital delay with tap tempo.

y pitchblack > GFS?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
y pitchblack > GFS?

Personal experience with one over the other for one. I don't know how durable the GFS one is, but if it's built like a brick like the PB, then go for the GFS.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Personal experience with one over the other for one. I don't know how durable the GFS one is, but if it's built like a brick like the PB, then go for the GFS.

It's built like a brick like the PB.

Same pedlul
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by LaidBack

Thanks for the reverb recommendations, I really appreciate it! My birthday is coming up in a few months so I'll be sure to check those out if I ask for a reverb.

I'm loving the sounds I can get out of the MB, and the only thing that would make it better is tap tempo, or some other way to better control delay time. If I can get my hands on a Deluxe for cheap I'm going to go for it. There are a couple on Kijiji in my area going for $120...just waiting to hear back from the sellers. If not I'll either stick it out until I get another delay unit or pick up an expression pedal.

I'm still stuck between the Polytune and the GFS. Both are true bypass and similar accuracy (GFS is +/- 1 cent and Polytune is +/- 0.5 cent on chromatic mode). So the $50 price difference is really for the polytune feature. For those of you who have the Polytune...is it worth it or should I just order the GFS? If I go for the GFS I can use my Steve's gift cert to purchase new cables to accommodate all of my gear.

Thanks again for your help! You guys rock!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by LaidBack

i like options. i don't bother to adjust my 616 to anything buy where it sounds the way i want it to

like you, i set if for feel.

it is just easier and more practical. if you have tap tempo, who says you need to tap to what BPM you are playing? if you are looking for different things things it can get you a lot of fun while having more utility.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I love my Polytune. I wrote a review on it if you need any more information or want a detailed opinion on it. There will be more software updates for it soon that will allow quick strum and tune in a lot more alternate tunings. If you shop around on the net you should be able to find it a little cheaper then what you have listed it at.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it is just easier and more practical. if you have tap tempo, who says you need to tap to what BPM you are playing? if you are looking for different things things it can get you a lot of fun while having more utility.

My thoughts exactly. This is why I'm considering upgrading to the Deluxe Memory Boy. It does everything the Memory Boy does, plus it has tap tempo (and selectable timing for repeats) and other features like it's own effects loop to colour the repeats. I think I might return it to the store where my parents bought it and wait it out a few weeks until they can get the Deluxe in. Seems worth it to me
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Ah, The Empyrean. Superb album.

I'd usually recommend having delay in the FX loop unless there's a particular SUVs you want. In these cases it's all about experimentation though.

The Polytune is an excellent pedal -accurate, quick and chromatic. I never use the simultaneous tuning thing, but it does work. Still preferred my TU-2 though, wish I hadn't got rid of it. I wouldn't buy one new though, they're very durable.
Quote by kyle62
Ah, The Empyrean. Superb album.

I'd usually recommend having delay in the FX loop unless there's a particular SUVs you want. In these cases it's all about experimentation though.

The Polytune is an excellent pedal -accurate, quick and chromatic. I never use the simultaneous tuning thing, but it does work. Still preferred my TU-2 though, wish I hadn't got rid of it. I wouldn't buy one new though, they're very durable.

The Empyrean was my favourite album of '09 and I continue to spin it frequently. One of Frusciante's best efforts, IMHO.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated! I'm pretty set on the Polytune. It's on sale at Steve's and my gift certificate will cover nearly the entire cost. I'll upgrade to the Deluxe MB and pick up some cables for my pedalboard with my Christmas cash. Probably going to start up a new thread to get advice on cables, but if anyone has some recommendations on cables let me know!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58