what i am trying to figure out what would be better for me as a player. i play blues and metal primarily. at the moment i am using pretty evenly three guitars, a Gibson LP Studio, Wolfgang, and Ibanez Prestige 3550MZ. i also have maybe 15-20 guitars in addition to those.

i use them for different purposes to a certain extent, but what are your thoughts?

stick to one, or have a threesome?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
stick to one, or have a threesome?

I'd go for the three option out of personal bias - I use my three "top" guitars (all Ibanez models) almost exclusively and I like having the options. One's in D standard so obviously there's a point to having another one in a different tuning I use, but in general I find that certain things I play will simply work better on a given guitar. There are too many little nuances that go into guitar construction to accurately nail everything with one, so having the options is nice.

Also, although there's no basis in fact for this, some guitars just feel "right" for certain things. There's certain music I'll only play with one of the given guitars, because it feels correct - it's almost like a relationship in that it feels right, even though there's not necessarily anything logical to back the feeling up.
id have multiple guitars becasue of how they feel
a guitar that i play h eblues on proabaly wont feel right to play classical on for whatever reason

i like havign the options
Quote by :-D
I'd go for the three option out of personal bias - I use my three "top" guitars (all Ibanez models) almost exclusively and I like having the options. One's in D standard so obviously there's a point to having another one in a different tuning I use, but in general I find that certain things I play will simply work better on a given guitar. There are too many little nuances that go into guitar construction to accurately nail everything with one, so having the options is nice.

Also, although there's no basis in fact for this, some guitars just feel "right" for certain things. There's certain music I'll only play with one of the given guitars, because it feels correct - it's almost like a relationship in that it feels right, even though there's not necessarily anything logical to back the feeling up.

having all ibanez guitars is more similar that the guitars i am using though.

all three are in standard, and never change. i have other guitars for that.

keep the opinions coming!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I don't see what's the problem. From your title you seem to be asking if using more than one guitar will hurt your technique...?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
having all ibanez guitars is more similar that the guitars i am using though.

Yep, that's part of my point - it's nice to have the diversity.
Quote by triface
I don't see what's the problem. From your title you seem to be asking if using more than one guitar will hurt your technique...?

i was wondering more or less if playing multiple different guitars instead of one all the time would be better since you are more familiar if you have just one. i do fine now, but was just curious. actually it works out well.i start with the ibanez is fastest for the leads i am doing, then the Wolfgang plays a little different so i guess you could say slower, then play everything on the gibson. i make sure i can play it on anything.

again looking for opinions.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
unless you have a frikkin daemoness or blackmachine where other guitars are just so you don't beat up your baby, there's no reason not to have multiple forefront guitars. trying to record a whole album with one guitar is like recording with 2 amps, or with only one type of effect - it just eliminates your versatility arsenal.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
It's not going to make any difference.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
When you own that many guitars there is no way everyone of them is getting played,I know as I have been there. What you are doing makes perfect sense, as you are playing the 3 you are most comfortable with. If you are going to record it is almost a given to use different guitars for rhythm and lead tracks, and maybe doubling or tripling up rhythm tracks with different tonal textures you get from certain guitars. I am a bit surprised that the three you are talking about does not include a single coil guitar, which is usually the dilemma on similar topics. If you are gigging and find that certain songs sound better on each guitar, then make guitar changes during the set.If you are just debating on sticking with one guitar, the Wolfgang if it has a Floyd would be my choice. It can pull off what the Lester and Prestige can both do. Though the pups are hotter than the Lester just roll back on the volume and you will have no problem playing blues with it. I have seen threads where guys have asked if they would look foolish playing blues with a Wolfgang, and the over whelming consensus was no or who cares.
Quote by straycat113
When you own that many guitars there is no way everyone of them is getting played,I know as I have been there. What you are doing makes perfect sense, as you are playing the 3 you are most comfortable with. If you are going to record it is almost a given to use different guitars for rhythm and lead tracks, and maybe doubling or tripling up rhythm tracks with different tonal textures you get from certain guitars. I am a bit surprised that the three you are talking about does not include a single coil guitar, which is usually the dilemma on similar topics. If you are gigging and find that certain songs sound better on each guitar, then make guitar changes during the set.If you are just debating on sticking with one guitar, the Wolfgang if it has a Floyd would be my choice. It can pull off what the Lester and Prestige can both do. Though the pups are hotter than the Lester just roll back on the volume and you will have no problem playing blues with it. I have seen threads where guys have asked if they would look foolish playing blues with a Wolfgang, and the over whelming consensus was no or who cares.

the RG has a single pickup in the middle, but is pretty much useless. i really dont care for SC's for most of my playing. there is a time and a place, but not in the top three. i have one wolfgang w/floyd and one without.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!