Is it safe to use a heaphone amp as an effects pedal?

I discovered that I can get a really great tone by plugging my Amplug headphone amp into my reverb pedal. But now I'm wondering if this is safe for the reverb pedal? Could it overload it? I think that pedals are designed for "instrument level" signals, but maybe the Amplug is putting out a "line level" signal, though I don't really understand this stuff... I tried plugging the Amplug into other pedals, but it seemed to distort them unless I kept the volume on the Amplug way down.
Check it by ear. Plug it directly into your amp and adjust the volume until it is about the same as a guitar plugged into it. Your ear will be accurate enough to guess the right volume setting. Start with the volume right down and slowly increase it.
If the volume is too high it will clip the signal and distort it. That's why it is distorting on you unless you keep the volume down.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Check it by ear. Plug it directly into your amp and adjust the volume until it is about the same as a guitar plugged into it. Your ear will be accurate enough to guess the right volume setting. Start with the volume right down and slowly increase it. If the volume is too high it will clip the signal and distort it.

This.
Thanks, so it shouldn't damage the effect pedal or amp that it is plugged into? By keeping the volume on the Amplug down, it is changing it from "line level" to "instrument level?"
Quote by yonib
Thanks, so it shouldn't damage the effect pedal or amp that it is plugged into? By keeping the volume on the Amplug down, it is changing it from "line level" to "instrument level?"

I dunno about line v instrument levels, but your pedal is just sending a modified electrical signal from your guitar. Putting the Amplug into the pedal is the same (essentially) as plugging the pedal into a proper amp. You'll just want to keep the volume down so you don't blow your ears because of how hot the signal might be.