Its been 2 months and i can't figure out the picking pattern of a song i tried one method and it didn't feel comfortable, i tried another method it doesn't sound great.

But just recently i found out on youtube that most people use downpicking on the same song i wanna learn. so i give it a shot and i found it comfortable and it sounds great. The problem is my downpicking is slow, not consistent and my arm gets tired

Do you guys know how to fix this?
Keep practicing and it will build up your endurance.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
You can't "fix" this, it's not an "error" or something.

Speed comes with time and practice.
Downpicking has always come natural to me....i guess i have a little James Hetfield in me, but ya keep it up long enough and you'll be able to downpick just fine
Why the hell does everyone refuse to alternate pick through stuff like this?...yea alt picking is hard...I suspect most are either coop-outs to lazy to put in the time to develope optimal picking technique...or are Hetfield wannabe's...he's not even that great of a guitarist...he cant improv/solo/alternate pick/sweep/ect...all day long he's just down picking open E-strings and playing power chords

e|---------------------------------|
b|---------------------------------|
g|---------------------------------|
d|---------------------------------|
a|------2----3-----4----3-----2-|
E|-0-1--0-1--0-1--0-1--0-1---|
u d u d u d u d u...ect not that tricky
Quote by DiabolusMusica5
Why the hell does everyone refuse to alternate pick through stuff like this?...yea alt picking is hard...I suspect most are either coop-outs to lazy to put in the time to develope optimal picking technique...or are Hetfield wannabe's...he's not even that great of a guitarist...he cant improv/solo/alternate pick/sweep/ect...all day long he's just down picking open E-strings and playing power chords

imo it sounds better when u only downpick on MoP(only way i can pick anyway haha )
and the part is just bs... or maybe not... but keep in mind that u dont have to be a great guitarist to be musical... he is the king. he cant solo.... ? phuf..... where do u keep ur ears, son ?

2 examples... Nothing else matter... and Suicide and redemption...
lol...hetfield sure is a virtuosso...and a master-ful song writer...the king of part-writing...Being that I used to think Metallica was God on earth, I hate to have to say it...But in the eyes of musical academia...metallica compositions are one big part-writing error. I'd like to see either guitarist from that band fumble through some sight-reading, or in a Jazz ensemble...dont mean to come across like an elitist...but if Hetfield is the king of guitar...then lil wayne is the o(p)rince of guitar.
Last edited by DiabolusMusica5 at Dec 29, 2011,
Just downpick everything for a while, your arm needs to get used to it. Try not to tense up too much either, take it sloooooooowwwwwww.......
I would never call Hetfield a great guitarist, he's a GREAT performer, but in terms of guitar he's nowhere near being impressive.
Quote by DiabolusMusica5

dude, hetfield not that great of a guitarist? who cares if he cant sweep pick? he doesnt play that kind of death metal shit where sweep picking is required, he plays hard rock and heavy metal, and he can improv, but he just doesnt because, why the **** would he? kirk does that kinda stuff.

and what i did was just pratise it, and i didnt look at any techniques, i just played
Every time you pick up your guitar, play downpicked notes on open E string as fast as you can for as long as you can for warm up. Every time you do this you can do it a little longer and a little faster.

But I think that alt picking is always better, no matter the song, if you can possibly learn it by alt picking, do it.
actually the song i'm learning is like light to the flies by trivium here it is

D|-------------7-------------------------|
A|-8--8---7-------8--5--8--8---7-8-10--8-7-|
D|--88-88-88-88--------88-88-8-8---8--8--|

The strumming is somewhat the same as MoP except the last part and that's where i choke
Down picking has a different sound to alternate picking, why do people insist on telling everyone that you must alternate pick these lines? Do whichever you prefer based on the sound it makes...

@TS : Start slowly, practice to a metronome and make sure you movements are small and relaxed. Do not tense up, and pick from the wrist. To increase endurance, once you have the technique decently down simply play for as long as you can at near you max speed (the highest speed you can play with perfect technique, again no tension), wait for the "burn" to hit your wrist, stop, shake off and restart again. The burn should simply be the muscles tiring and not any form of tension though, remember that.
i tend to just downpick when i feel the adrenaline when playing MoP
Quote by DiabolusMusica5

Alternate picking a song that calls for down picking is a cop out. It's much easier to alternate pick fast.
Quote by J_W
Alternate picking a song that calls for down picking is a cop out. It's much easier to alternate pick fast.

Wrong.

I know guys who can't alternate pick at all but can downpicjk like crazy. Alternate picking that pattern imo is just a difficult as downpicking it. It depends on your ability. Paul gilbert would alternate pick it in his sleep but hetfield might not be able to alternate pick it at all
That was assuming the person has the ability to do both. sorry, I should have been more clear.
Quote by DiabolusMusica5
...he's not even that great of a guitarist...he cant improv/solo/alternate pick/sweep/ect...

He's actually an extremely tight rhythm player, something which is overlooked by a lot of idiots saying "OMG HE CAN'T SWEEP". He may not be "great" by other standards, but he's quite proficient at what he needs to do.
Quote by DiabolusMusica5
lut in the eyes of musical academia...metallica compositions are one big part-writing error.

You forgot to mention that absolutely no one cares because this is completely irrelevant.

I just pray you're being sarcastic.
Quote by DiabolusMusica5

You sound like such a snob.

You can not tell me MoP doesn't sound better strictly downpicked. listen to Dream Theaters version of it; few guitarists can alternate pick better then John Petrucci however it doesn't sound half as badass as when Hetfield plays it.

Also, since when did technical ability determine whether or not you are a good guitarist? Hetfield is amazing at what he does, catchy riffs that make you bang your head.

Two words, Damage Inc.
Quote by DiabolusMusica5

James Hetfield could play you under the table, now stfu.

He CAN alternate pick, and sweep picking is not the be all/end all of guitar playing -- not even close.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
James Hetfield could play you under the table, now stfu.

He CAN alternate pick, and sweep picking is not the be all/end all of guitar playing -- not even close.

+1 on the sweep picking.

I don't like Metallica much but I'd rather listen to a good rhythm guitarist who can through leads here and there for spice then a sweeping frenzy of arpeggios that are to boring to follow.

Rhythm is just as important as Lead. Remember that rule and you'll make music that people can enjoy, don't focus on brutal 16th notes at 9000 BPM.

EDIT: Before someone comes in and says "You can't sweepz, you just jelly bro". I can and I do it little in my actual playing. Only when I engage in neoclassical shred mode do I utilize sweeps like crazy. But that's only every Thursday.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Jan 20, 2012,
Down picking and alternate picking sound different.

I have many songs that I've written that involve both techniques and I use them for different purposes. For example, the opening riff to a heavier song I use downpicking as is provides a 'stronger' sound on certain individual notes. I then use alternate picking for the main verse riff over the chord progression for a softer and smoother sound.

You are completely ignorant if you think downpicking is a 'cop out' and doesn't require skill. It's all about the sound.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
^^^^ This guy

There are no wrong ways to pick. It's all based on what you want it to sound like. Upward picking has a brighter sound to it which would not match a song like MoP.

Also Hetfield plays some awesome harmonies with Kirk and pretty much makes all the awesome riffs for metallica. Hetfield is a BAMF