Is there some software that makes wav/mp3 whatever audio files from midi without playing and recording them directly?
Well, .midi files aren't sound files. They're instructions for your computer's .midi player. The .midi file has to be transformed into music before it can be converted into .wav format.

It's probably not impossible to do what you said, but it sounds like a hell of a job to get right. If I were the creator of it I sure as hell wouldn't share it for free.
Last edited by frankv at Dec 29, 2011,
Well in Sonar you can run it through a (forgotten the name of it, but it's basically a convertor), simply put; it smoothes the rough edges of a midi file.
Yes. That's exactly what VSTs, etc are for.
There are many free, and commercial, VSTs for practically every instrument .

Google VST and whatever instrument you're looking for.
You also need a DAW but I assume you already have one.
Probably best to check out the relevant recording forum for more info and help.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Dec 29, 2011,
I know how midi works and what it is, I know what VSTi are.

I study PCs, I know all this stuff.

But original midi "sound" would sound better than VSTi since I don't want to tweak it, I just want to release it and be able to listen to it on mp3 player.

Basically I need a VSTi that sounds JUST like midi.
LOL, that's kinda retarded. In that case though, couldn't you just route the midi audio output of whatever you're playing the midi on [DAW, media player?] into a sound recorder [audacity maybe?] or something.

EDIT: Wait, why not just use the default midi vst that comes with your comp, and accessible via your DAW? You can save it as an mp3 because the midi is being routed through the default vst [which creates the midi sound, as midi itself doesn't have sound]. I'm not very coherent but I hope you get what I mean.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Dec 29, 2011,
I do that. I use a program called Midi2Wav Recorder (I actually payed for it, was only like $20 and I have use for it).
It uses a soundfont file (like a vst I guess) and makes the midi into a wav file. Some of the sounds are slightly different (imo nicer) than the original midi but it's pretty close. You can also choose the soundfont file you want so you could get one for whatever your using it for specifically.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by Simsimius
LOL, that's kinda retarded. In that case though, couldn't you just route the midi audio output of whatever you're playing the midi on [DAW, media player?] into a sound recorder [audacity maybe?] or something.

EDIT: Wait, why not just use the default midi vst that comes with your comp, and accessible via your DAW? You can save it as an mp3 because the midi is being routed through the default vst [which creates the midi sound, as midi itself doesn't have sound]. I'm not very coherent but I hope you get what I mean.

But that's the thing, I'm working on a "to be 30-minute" composition which I change a lot, and waiting for 15+ minutes for it to record itself all the time can be quite a stress. The DAW doesn't allow standard midi packets(the usual midi sound), it allows only other-than-included with OS VSTi packets.

Quote by VVolverin3
I do that. I use a program called Midi2Wav Recorder (I actually payed for it, was only like $20 and I have use for it).
It uses a soundfont file (like a vst I guess) and makes the midi into a wav file. Some of the sounds are slightly different (imo nicer) than the original midi but it's pretty close. You can also choose the soundfont file you want so you could get one for whatever your using it for specifically.

Will check it out.
Last edited by Zeletros at Dec 29, 2011,