I am 33 years old. When I started playing guitar, Metallica just released and justice for all. So it's been awhile. I have a 14 year old boy who has just recently got the guitar bug ,just as I did around the age. I got him rocksmith for Christmas and I have already seen a drastic improvement in his playing and technique. Does anyone see any long term, bad habits that could come out of playing this game? I think it's great. I don't mind teaching him what I think he needs to learn but having this game has really made things even that much more fun for him. And ME for that matter. I've been playing the heck out of it lately! Just curious as to what people thought... thanks.
I can't see it being any use at all as a teaching aid due to the way it does things. For example, teaching somebody a song by first introducing them to a simplified version of a song, then gradually adding in more complicated bits is just pointless and completely counter-intuitive to how you'd normally learn things.

As long as you treat it as a game it's not going to cause any problems, but mistakenly believing that it's going to provide much benefit from a teaching point of view might. In short it's a fun way to test your skills, but it's not going to help all that much when it comes to developing them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I see it to benefit the playing only in a motivational way, I'd buy it just to test out my skills and have fun, I wouldn't consider it a teacher.
I got it for Christmas. The best thing about it are the training exercises really. The songs, eh, not so much but the training aids could definitely help. It is fun though and a nice break from real practice.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Well the training excersises are definitely useful. My kid didn't know the first thing about scales and in the last few days he's rippin through major minor blues and dorian like it's nothing. So that's definitely a sign it can be useful. He didn't know scales, and now he does. I think how they made the scale run games was a really cool idea. It's keeping him really interested in it all. And I myself am having fun just learning new songs. What I don't like is the note skipping on the easier song versions. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Some of the patterns are just strange and hard to adapt to. Makes me sound like I've never played a guitar before. Haha. It's weird playing along with songs I've never heard.
Ive been playing for a little over a year now, not counting the power chords i learned in high school.
Ive taken about two months of lessons where i got some basic scale and chord knowledge. I also bought alot of method books and guitar magazines and read them religiously. I got rocksmith the day it came out.

This game kicks ass! It kinda sucked having to go through all the easy levels first but after the first hour or so it got better. Its fun learning the songs i know and challenging learning the new ones. Ive learned several new chords and techniques and the riff repeater feature helps get the tricky parts. The mini games are fun too.

Its really helped me with learning the fretboard, you have to keep your eyes on the screen. Im getting a better understanding of the things i learned before the game. This game has helped my playing alot, on the game and when i plug into my amp.

Get this game!
Let me start by saying I don't know how to play guitar but I'm learning. I'm 32 years old and have had an interest my entire life and just didn't do it. So I finally decided to learn and I bought an electric guitar and my wife bought me RockSmith. I'm having a blast with it and so are my kids.

For an absolute beginner I think the game is great. It gets you started learning and it actually teaches things. More importantly it motivates me to play and to learn new things through the challenges and how the game adjusts the difficulty of the songs based upon how good you are playing.

Do I think the game is a replacement for actual lessons? No. But it is a great tool to motivate practice and is a lot more interesting than learning chords from a book.
I'm using it to learn songs. It works great for me. I like the dynamic difficulty for the first few play throughs. Its a nice way to ease into a song instead of being thrown to the woods. I've memorized a few songs and I think I've gotten a lot better since I got the game. I'd recommend it too.
I've been playing it for about a month. I've learned a few things from the game and also started to develop some bad habits. (Not using correct fingers on the frets) Keeping in mind that this is first and formost a game it's actually pretty fun. I could not play any of the songs by themselves with the exception of maybe Song 2 by Blur. But that's a really easy one.
I have been playing for about a year, and I can say that for the most part all it has done for me is help me find my place on the neck without looking.
Yes.
I tried to learn guitar on and off by myself and would always hit a barrier.

This game has brought me through certain barriers within about 25 hours of play. It is fun as I try to better my scores. I can play a couple songs already (4 'mastered' songs) that are pretty simple, but 4 more songs than I could play before Rocksmith was invented.

It is good. Got my interest in playing, made picking it up fun, is subconsciously giving me a familiarity with the fretboard, and improving chord changes.

However, I do know bad habits are forming and they are being worsened by the game. For one, hand position. My fretting hand is wrong. I am also not necessarily putting my fingers in a position to just hit the notes with the least possible movement. Overuse of my first and third fingers.
Second is picking. The game doesnt cover this and I have way too much down-picking.
Third is the receptiveness of the notes. Sometimes when I am playing and get overwhelmed, I will hit a glom of notes, one of them will resemble the correct on and Ill get credit for this. It doesnt necessarily reward or recognize 'clean play'.
The 'riff repeater' mode is poorly designed and doesnt help this. It also doesnt pick up bends or mutes well and you have to revert to other-than-correct ways to get the notes to register. These items will get fixed in updates or future versions.

It is absolutuly mandatory to get secondary sources of information and practice IMO. This isnt the full package. However, it is a great start, and I love that this came out. Hopefully this 'breakthrough' can lead to bigger and better things for both beginners and experienced players.
It's not better, just different. As long as he has someone else (like you) to guide him over the stuff the game doesn't do very well, I'd say there's no reason not to use it. IME it's better as a song-learning tool than an overall educational tool, because while it shows you where to put your fingers, it doesn't do much more than skate over theory.

And if you're mindful of the yellow position markers at the bottom of the screen, you (probably) won't use the wrong fingering. It's possible to "Cheat" the game fairly easily, but that's down to discipline, not a fault of the software.
Last edited by CarsonStevens at Jan 3, 2012,
I just got it two days ago, played it hours on end the first day. Then after getting pissed the **** OFF I stopped. My problem with rocksmith is that... you wont learn anything from playing the songs. Dont jump the gun just yet, i didnt say you wouldnt learn anything, it is definitely a teaching tool. But dont expect too much out of it. For example playing super slider, and duck hunt, ive gotten a better feel for the fretboard and can almost slide to fret x to fret y without looking. So, it does help muscle memory for sure. and i am looking forward to getting dawn of the chordead so i can start learning some chords. even if not the names, then the patterns at least. However, ive played a few songs and i couldnt play them to save my life.
See, its a double edged sword for me. I dont regularly play standing up, I always look at my fretboard when I learn a song for THE FIRST TIME. and ima go on a rant about that. Cause GOD dammit, Except for "I cant hear you" every song I tried to play started out easy, then after I got a streak of like 10 notes, which is easy as hell, they throw these notes out that are like 3 or 4 strings apart, repeated, its kinda hellish really. Plus, their Notes are vague, first time I saw a double stop (i didnt know wtf that was...) I shat my pants.
I wouldnt say rocksmith is a game for people who have never played guitar... But then again, I dont know cause ive been playing 9 months before I got it so... I'll never know.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Last edited by Iblis92 at Jan 4, 2012,
I've learned quite a few songs and have gotten much better but I've been playing it for over two months. The tracklist sucks though. I'm not running out of songs to play but I'm running out of songs that I WANT to play. I think I've unlocked master mode on 7 or 8 songs now. As for technique my speed and finding notes and chords on the fretboard has gone up considerably. What I'm playing is starting to sound better too. The only fault I'm running into is playing downstrokes on chords. As far as I know they did not build in strumming patterns for chord parts. This isn't too much of a concern because I just did learn and master and Steve Krenz is crazy about strumming patterns so I got a lot of that there.
Quote by MayDay10
Yes.
I tried to learn guitar on and off by myself and would always hit a barrier.

This game has brought me through certain barriers within about 25 hours of play. It is fun as I try to better my scores. I can play a couple songs already (4 'mastered' songs) that are pretty simple, but 4 more songs than I could play before Rocksmith was invented.

It is good. Got my interest in playing, made picking it up fun, is subconsciously giving me a familiarity with the fretboard, and improving chord changes.

However, I do know bad habits are forming and they are being worsened by the game. For one, hand position. My fretting hand is wrong. I am also not necessarily putting my fingers in a position to just hit the notes with the least possible movement. Overuse of my first and third fingers.
Second is picking. The game doesnt cover this and I have way too much down-picking.
Third is the receptiveness of the notes. Sometimes when I am playing and get overwhelmed, I will hit a glom of notes, one of them will resemble the correct on and Ill get credit for this. It doesnt necessarily reward or recognize 'clean play'.
The 'riff repeater' mode is poorly designed and doesnt help this. It also doesnt pick up bends or mutes well and you have to revert to other-than-correct ways to get the notes to register. These items will get fixed in updates or future versions.

It is absolutuly mandatory to get secondary sources of information and practice IMO. This isnt the full package. However, it is a great start, and I love that this came out. Hopefully this 'breakthrough' can lead to bigger and better things for both beginners and experienced players.

I agree with this 100%!!!!!
Personally I believe the game is amazing, but I can see bad habbits from the game forming. I recieved rocksmith for christmas and in these last two weeks of having this game I feal like my guitar playing has increased dramatically. I went to pick out a new guitar the other day and I was trying a few out and this dude comes up to me and says "man that sounds good". I learned that song on rocksmith. In the past 2days i have learned 4 scales. Rocksmith has helped mostly with my scales and my chord playing IMO. It helped me get past alot of barriers with guitar . The only problem i notice somtimes is that the high e doesnt register sometimes, but they can probley update to resolve that.
well as a beginner the excresises and games with chords really helped my changing speed.
Rocksmith is now one of my favorite games I own. My brother used to kick my but at guitar hero and rock band, but now I'm laughing at his failure to shape chords on rocksmith. I taught my self to play guitar four or five years ago and missed some important tips as to how to do certain techniques. The sections for chords, scales, and techniques are extremely beneficial for me and the songs on the game sound an feel a lot more authentic and accurate than any tab or sheet music I've learned. I especially like the style of learning it's in. If one were to try the simple to complex song learning style with tabs people thought were right, it wouldn't work because they are usually in complete different hand placements. The continuing on to harder parts reminds me of how a workout program works. It's hard at first, then gets easier as you get used to the usual exercises, then the program gets switched up and you feel screwed trying to do what the trainers are doing.

My point is that Rocksmith is a really great game that can teach you new chords, scales, techniques, and songs in an easy to understand style of teaching.

Spread the word of Rocksmith to your friends, guitar fans, and just for a laugh, those who think they can play guitar because they got perfect on through the fire an flames on hard in guitar hero.
Quote by Fig-Newt
The only problem i notice somtimes is that the high e doesnt register sometimes, but they can probley update to resolve that.

Yes I notice that too, and im not sure why that happens. I have a squier bullet and the bottom pickup is angled a certain way, like its higher than the other side. its supposed to give the tone of the guitar a bit more twang I by picking up strings 1 and 2 more.
and yet, rocksmith still doesnt recognize them when i switch them on.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"