Hi, this is my first post at the Ultimate Guitar forums. I need help with some techniques and ear training. I hope I'll get the help I need, so this is my first problem:

I don't know if it's me or my guitar, but I can't seem to play pinch harmonics. A lot of songs have them and even though they are not a must, the song doesn't sound as cool without them.
I saw Justin Sandercoe's video on pinch harmonics, I've read loads of internet tip guides, but I don't get it. I usually learn things fast and with ease, but pinch harmonics seem to be a very tricky technique.
I have an electric guitar, an amplifier and a pick, but every time I try to play pinch harmonics, there is no sound.
Is there a trick to it, or something I'm missing?

Thanks.
you need a lot of gain ofcourse and what guitar do you have? on a strat style guitar with single coils it is a lot harder to hear the pinch harmonics so you need even more gain.
You need some gain and humbuckers make it a lot easier. The best advice I can give you is just practice, practice, and practice. Once you get it down they will be the easiest thing in the world to do.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Pinch harmonics are a tricky technique. First make sure you are using the bridge pickup. This will make it easier. Harmonics occur on all strings but it is often easier to find the harmonics you are look for on the G, B and high E string. I would fret a string at about the 7th fret. Then using your pick begin by plucking the string at the bridge all the way up to the neck pickup. Use this technique. The idea is to hold your pick so that only a tiny fraction of it is showing past your thumb. The instant you pick the string allow your thumb to gently brush the vibrating string. This will cancel the fundamental and allow the harmonic to ring out. The idea of this is to find the nodes on these strings. They won't exist everywhere but once you find them you will know where to go. The technique requires a deal of practice. It took me about a solid month of getting the technique down and then finding the nodes on the strings I was looking for. After that it's just a matter of getting them to sound the way you like. Patience and practice is necessary for this technique.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
For me it's easier to do pinch harmonics on the lower strings, lower frets. I remembered when I first started practicing it the second fret 5th string was the easiest for me to do, but everyone is different.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Gain and humbuckers are a luxury and not a necessity. You can play artificial harmonics on an acoustic guitar too, it has more to do with technique than it does gear.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w
Quote by skywalker45
Pinch harmonics are a tricky technique. First make sure you are using the bridge pickup. This will make it easier. Harmonics occur on all strings but it is often easier to find the harmonics you are look for on the G, B and high E string. I would fret a string at about the 7th fret. Then using your pick begin by plucking the string at the bridge all the way up to the neck pickup. Use this technique. The idea is to hold your pick so that only a tiny fraction of it is showing past your thumb. The instant you pick the string allow your thumb to gently brush the vibrating string. This will cancel the fundamental and allow the harmonic to ring out. The idea of this is to find the nodes on these strings. They won't exist everywhere but once you find them you will know where to go. The technique requires a deal of practice. It took me about a solid month of getting the technique down and then finding the nodes on the strings I was looking for. After that it's just a matter of getting them to sound the way you like. Patience and practice is necessary for this technique.

pretty much this

Quote by arunawayslave
Gain and humbuckers are a luxury and not a necessity. You can play artificial harmonics on an acoustic guitar too, it has more to do with technique than it does gear.

what this guy said +∞
I can do pinch harmonics on the 5th 4th and 3rd string, but the 1st 2nd and 6st... well **** me I just can't do it, I tried all the spots and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I know this doesn't help you much TS, but this seemed like the right place to vent.