Hi All,

Could someone please help?

I am relatively new to the guitar (2-3 months).
I would like to know how everyone plays a B chord.

I have been practising it by barring the second fret with the index, then using middle, ring and pinky on the DGB strings. I have pretty much mastered barred F and can do B as above although it takes me a little longer to get in the position.

I was speaking to a friend who "cheats" by barring second fret and using pinky alone and also seen on the internet "cheating" using the above but with the ring finger alone.

My question is, should I continue to plug away until I can do it the way I have been practising ("proper" way with four fingers) or should I "cheat" as many do.

I do have the luxury of having quite long, skinny and flexible fingers so please take this into account. I also dont like to "cheat" wherever possible.

I suppose Im just asking what the majority of players do

Thanks very much in advance for any comments, nice forums!
Do it whatever way comes naturally to you! The longer you play, the easier it'll be for you to get to the B quickly! I play the B the same way you do, but I know more people who do it the other way. It's completely down to personal style - I find that way easier, but only because that's the way I started doing it!
I use my little finger, although i think its probably best to use the ring finger then you can use your little finger to add little bits to the chord by fretting other strings.

Served me ok so far though
Its still a b powerchord if you only use 2 strings.
Many hardrock bands only use 2 strings two play the Powerchords becouse that sounds better if you are using distortion.(e.g. Stone Temle Pilots: Big Bang Baby)
So it really depends on what you are playing and what sound you are looking for. But the more chord shapes you know the more posibilities you have. So i would recommend that you learn both.
Quote by blackzeppelin68
Its still a b powerchord if you only use 2 strings.
Many hardrock bands only use 2 strings two play the Powerchords becouse that sounds better if you are using distortion.(e.g. Stone Temle Pilots: Big Bang Baby)
So it really depends on what you are playing and what sound you are looking for. But the more chord shapes you know the more posibilities you have. So i would recommend that you learn both.

re-read OP.
Quote by blackzeppelin68
op? sry but I have NO idea what you mean.

op=original post, no-one is playing powerchords here dude...

anyway I prefer the two finger approach, not only is it quicker and easier but the other way is hard past the fifth fret or so because you need to stuff three fingers into a single fret. Sure its harder to play the high e but its easier to get the d,g and b strings nice because you can get closer to the fretwire.

btw its not cheating
When I first started, I did the chord with two fingers. I actually saw an intructional video that came with my first guitar that shows the teacher using only two fingers. Like the above guy posted, it's better to use two fingers that way if you're playing something like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Zeppelin, then you can add those pinky notes in there.
Quote by knutjob
op=original post, no-one is playing powerchords here dude...

anyway I prefer the two finger approach, not only is it quicker and easier but the other way is hard past the fifth fret or so because you need to stuff three fingers into a single fret. Sure its harder to play the high e but its easier to get the d,g and b strings nice because you can get closer to the fretwire.

btw its not cheating

what he described is a powerchord or a bar chord (i belive) which doesent matter anyway becouse what i meant is that the sound of the chord changes depending on wich strings he is using and he should be able to play both so he can creat more distinct sounds while playing the same chord.
thx for telling me what OP means by the way
Quote by blackzeppelin68
what he described is a powerchord or a bar chord (i belive) which doesent matter anyway becouse what i meant is that the sound of the chord changes depending on wich strings he is using and he should be able to play both so he can creat more distinct sounds while playing the same chord.

Nobody mentioned powerchords at all, apart from you obviously. Powerchords and barre chords aren't the same thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by blackzeppelin68

So much wrong with this.. Please do yourself a favour and look up the difference between a power and barre chord..

Quote by knutjob

btw its not cheating

I've got to agree with this, especially the not cheating part. If you think about it, using less fingers to fret chords is more efficient as it frees up your other fingers to add other tensions (notes) to a chord as well as allowing them to anticipate upcoming chord changes. It's a lot easier to switch chords when 2 fingers have a head start because they aren't fretting anything.

Crono provides an excellent example of a song for where this is helpful.

Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Dec 29, 2011,
Before I could to barre chords I did my B like this

e--2-----------------
b--4-----------------
g--4-----------------
d--4-----------------
a--------------------
E--------------------
just don't hit the A and the low E strings.

Then I learned how to do barre chords and I do it like this:

e--2-----------------
b--4-----------------
g--4-----------------
d--4-----------------
a--2-----------------
E--------------------

and/or this

e--7-----------------
b--7-----------------
g--8-----------------
d--9-----------------
a--9------------------
E--7------------------

or else I play it like this

e-------------------
b--4-----------------
g--4-----------------
d--4-----------------
a--2------------------
E--------------------

^I use my index finger to fret the 2nd fret on the A string and I barre the 4th fret on the D, G and B strings with my ring finger. Then I also use my index finger to mute the low E string and use my ring finger to mute the high E string while I hold the strings down.
I use my ring finger the last phalanges on the DGB string and barr the first fret completely. It's easy to get there and gives the right sound but I also practice that E chord and barr it all the way up including the B and don't forget to practice the # and b along the way. Also work the minor chords all the way up and down. Try playing that B note in every position you can find, just don't lose sight of the fun striving for perfection. Unless your a John Mayer or Eric Clapton it doesn't really matter all that much if your perfect.
Ooo, thanks for all the quick replies, very helpful and friendly!

From what Ive gathered then it looks like it could be beneficial to stick to the two fingered version. If it will help me in the long run as Chronomagus stated,

"it's better to use two fingers that way if you're playing something like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Zeppelin, then you can add those pinky notes in there."

Then I should probably stick to that?

I realise its not cheating but couldnt think of another way to put it, I suppose the "universally accepted theoretical way" would better describe.

Im asking because I dont want to learn a bad way of doing it that will force me to change later down the line, then being unable to break old habits.

Thanks again and any further comments or just a "two fingers" post much appreciated!
Quote by paradilly
Ooo, thanks for all the quick replies, very helpful and friendly!

From what Ive gathered then it looks like it could be beneficial to stick to the two fingered version. If it will help me in the long run as Chronomagus stated,

"it's better to use two fingers that way if you're playing something like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Zeppelin, then you can add those pinky notes in there."

Then I should probably stick to that?

I realise its not cheating but couldnt think of another way to put it, I suppose the "universally accepted theoretical way" would better describe.

Im asking because I dont want to learn a bad way of doing it that will force me to change later down the line, then being unable to break old habits.

Thanks again and any further comments or just a "two fingers" post much appreciated!

Learn how to play the same chord in every way that you can. Although they are all B chords, they can be used in different situations depending on what you want to hear in the music.
LOL, more comments since my last post
Thanks Zep Addict for the reasoning behind it, I was a little worried that it may not sound as good in certain circumstances or as said, cause problems down the line.

I also take on board what you are saying about learning them all but Im at a very early stage at the moment (Ive only just mastered most of the open majors, minors and barres ) so just wanted a solid grounding on where to start on B chords.

Thanks again.
I see more people playing it the two finger way if that matters. :-p I think it's really just personal preference (and length of fingers, lol).
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

e-------------------
b--4-----------------
g--4-----------------
d--4-----------------
a--2------------------
E--------------------

This with index playing the B on the 2nd fret A string (and muting the low E) and ring finger barring the other 3 strings, allowing the pinky to make embellishments