I'm going to buy a new guitar, and I need abit of guidance on what to buy.

I have a budget of around £200, and I want to buy a guitar for playing lots of thrash and death metal. I'm more of a rhythm player, so i won't be busting out any fancy solo's. Just solid riffing.
Go to a store: try ALL guitars in your budget: take the guitar you like sound comfort look: play it until you fingers hurt!
The guitar shops where I live aren't that great, they're very small and generally only have Strats of Fenders.
Then travel to find one. For £200 you haven't got a lot of choice. Play on those you can then order the one you like of the net.

Otherwise, get an entry level LTD. They are really good for the price.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Check out something with preferably fixed bridge and humbuckers. Stay away from Floyds and other locking tremolos in that price range, you can block a basic Strat-style tremolo for fixed bridge, if you don't need the tremolo. Check out LTD by ESP, and Ibanez GRG series. If you want better tone, you don't need a new guitar, a new amp if you want better tone
I think i'm going to settle on buying an ESP LTD EC-50. I have a couple of friends who have pointed me towards it.
Go for a better guitar second hand if you can because as has been said, £200 is not gonna get you a decent guitar
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I'm just buying a beginners guitar, so I don't want anything too expensive until I become better anyway.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-m-100fm-electric-guitar/516643000011000

that's pretty good guitar for the price, but the FR bridge might be a bit of a pain if you've never set one up before.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-ec-100qm-electric-guitar

This one doesn't a FR bridge so you should be all set. I'd recommend either one of these, or anything by LTD really. The lower end models are great beginner guitars, and the higher end models are great for anyone.
Ya if your just doing rhythm no need for a whammy. Entry level LTD or A schecter Omen are good Metal starter guitars. Check around for those used also as if your just starting out that is usually the better option.
You can play metal on pretty much any guitar...
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by 3volved
You can play metal on pretty much any guitar...

I beg to differ(prong) I have two guitars not really "good" for "metal" My Mockingbird special and my squier are. hard to play stuff like Megadeth but it is good for AC/DC,Def Leppard and so on. My Omen 6 and my USA Bich and Hamer californian Elite and my Schecter 006 Elite can do hard metal and grind core /thrash very well. Its more in the wood and pickups.
And scale matters too. Typicaly 25.5 is better for "metal" than 24.75 like a Les Paul.
Quote by danvwman
I beg to differ(prong) I have two guitars not really "good" for "metal" My Mockingbird special and my squier are. hard to play stuff like Megadeth but it is good for AC/DC,Def Leppard and so on. My Omen 6 and my USA Bich and Hamer californian Elite and my Schecter 006 Elite can do hard metal and grind core /thrash very well. Its more in the wood and pickups.

Acdc is not metal. Secondly, I can play metal on my strat just as I can on my mm, its just the feeling that is different, the sound difference and it's being good or bad is MINIMAL.
Ot: you need a better amp.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by danvwman

More in the amp.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by omidmash
Acdc is not metal. Secondly, I can play metal on my strat just as I can on my mm, its just the feeling that is different, the sound difference and it's being good or bad is MINIMAL.
Ot: you need a better amp.

Thats what I was saying my Mock is better at AC/DC, which is not metal.
And unless you have humbuckers in your strat I find it hard to think it sounds good as a "metal" guitar.
ESP and Schecters are good out of the box for metal. Thats what they are built for> And a straight up Fender does not look very metal.
Quote by danvwman
And scale matters too. Typicaly 25.5 is better for "metal" than 24.75 like a Les Paul.
Not really..
Quote by danvwman
And unless you have humbuckers in your strat I find it hard to think it sounds good as a "metal" guitar.
ESP and Schecters are good out of the box for metal. Thats what they are built for> And a straight up Fender does not look very metal.

I don't have humbuckers in my strat, and i'm pretty sure 50% of UG community would not notice the sound difference if I played them both. It just sounds a bit thinner and hums more when on one single pickup. Key? Put in position 2 and 4.
Iron maiden and yngwie say hi too.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Last edited by omidmash at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by danvwman

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by BobDetroit
Not really..

24.75 imo is too loose for aggressive fast picking, the strings feel too mushy too me. It really starts to make a difference when you downtune. The larger scales work better for keeping the intonation in tune than shorter scales( when down tuning) I.E. baritone guitars.
I have several of each scale and all my shorter scales are for hard rock, blues ect. While my longer scale guitars are the ones I use for harder music and downtuning.

If you look at guitars in a whole almost all aimed at the metal and heavier market are 25.5 or longer. I.E. ESP, Schecter,BC Rich, Ibanez.
Sure Fender and Gibson make longer scales too but look at what they are offering....the are more aimed at the "metal" market more than like a Eric Johnson Strat or a Alex Lifeson LP.

And lastly if it didn't matter we wouldn't have a choice on this now would we?
I was waiting for somebody to call me on that, if you look closely at the guitars Maiden and Malmsteen use they are NOT standard guitars anybody can buy. They are heavily modified to be able to get the sound they have, with the modifications far exceeding the amount dude can spend for a guitar.

A good pickup set for a strat to be "hot" enough for metal will cost $200 USD at least. Or at least $80 usd for a stacked coil in the bridge position.

And that is the real issue here.

While a ESP or a Schecter are good and ready to go out of the box at a decent price.

And as far as the scale issue how far down do Maiden and Malmsteen tune.......not very far if at ever at all.