Subject says it all i hope..

I've recently picked up the electric guitar only to play in the genre of funk. I've been watching your funky groove for few days so i decided to go from acoustic guitar, to electric guitar since i've been strumming the same 6-10 old boring chords on my acoustic guitar for years now.
Im a HUGE fan of funk and i really want to learn how to shred some funky grooves. I've learned alot of the funk lessons people posted on youtube but i just seem to can't get any further than playing the same licks they taught me.

So here's my question, where do i begin if i want to be able to improvise licks and tunes to backing tracks and so, so i can get the feeling of jamming to a track?
I've read it's a good idea to learn all kinds of scales and stuff but i have no idea whatsoever wich scale.
Do you have any advice where to start?
Im desperate!

Hope to hear from you guys (by the way, i checked if there was a similar post here but didn't find anything).

-Jonas
Learn scales and learn to play real songs you like.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Use slap-bass patterns on your guitar.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Learn some theory (Intervals, chord construction, the major scale, circle of fifths, chord progressions, etc.) and analyze some of your favorite songs. See what kinds of chord progressions are common and analyze the lead work. Look for where the tension and resolution lies and how rhythm plays a part. Also, steal some licks.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^I'm getting a bottle of you tonight.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
^I'm getting a bottle of you tonight.

You better clear that with my wife.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by maker's marked
You better clear that with my wife.
Tila Tequila?

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥