I have started looking for the Ibanez guitar that I will be playing for the next 5 to 10 years. Ive had two offers that I like a lot, and am leaning one way, but want to see what the fine people at UG would do if they were in my situation.

I have been in search of a nice fixed bridge Ibanez. I prefer the RGA or RG bodys. My price range has been up to $700. I want the guitar for metal and hard rock mainly. I play metal ranging from metalcore to new wave of american heavy metal, to thrash metal. I also play Sludge/Stoner metal but am not expecting this to be the guitar to pull that off.

My first offer is my favorite I think. Its an RGA121 Prestige Natural finish with the J-Craft case. Its in excellent condition and even has upgraded pickup. It has the Dimarzio Joe and Mo Joe in it. They are great pickups, but not for the genres that I will be playing so I will sell them or trade them for another set. I will end up paying $450 plus whatever it takes to ship it.

Second is an Ibanez RGT6exfx. Its one of the higher end non prestige models that I have seen. I would be fine with the EMGs that come in it. I prefer passive but have always wanted to have a guitar with actives in it. It is in great condition and also comes with a case. I have an Ibanez ARX320 that I will be trading him plus throwing another $300 on top.

I am leaning toward the Prestige because I know the build quality is going to be fantastic and the price is great. What would you do if you were in my position?
If you have your heart set on the Prestige, go for it. My preference would be the one with EMG's. Those are fantastic for metal, I absolutely love them. I think that'd also be the better buy since you'd replace the pickups on the Prestige.
I would go with the prestige, the build quality on those are great. Also the pickups that are in the guitar would be fine for the style of music you play. They are versatile, and could pull off many styles really well.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Thanks for the reply. I do think I would end up loving the EMGs, but also since I could get a decent amount of cash out of the pickups that are in the Prestige I think it would still be a good buy. I could get the set I want for probably 20 to 50 more depending on what I go with. Im not sure how I would feel about the neck on the RGT6 either. Ive never played a neck through/finished RG before but I assume it would be fantastic. Nearly every Prestige neck I have played has been glorious though IMO

Quote by guitarguychris1
I would go with the prestige, the build quality on those are great. Also the pickups that are in the guitar would be fine for the style of music you play. They are versatile, and could pull off many styles really well.

Thats great to hear about the pickups. I havnt looked too much into them but noticed they are about medium output. Thats fine and dandy if they sound great but ive noticed i at least like my bridge to be fairly high output. I bet I will like the Neck pickup for sure though. Could you give me more info on the Satriani set? Thanks
Last edited by IC400Iceman at Dec 29, 2011,