Page 3 of 169
Quote by WhiskeyFace
It's not a matter of "Ok so here's all the different schools of thought, take your pick!", you study the works of great thinkers and see decide if their ideas are valid or not and why and form an opinion, and many of the ideas do have quite significant implications of 'things that matter' (if not all, subtle ones), that's why it works as a system and all the branches overlap eventually. Philosophy teaches you how to think about things properly.

Okay, well, thanks for a good response and being nice

I just don't care for it. It just seems like crap to me. I think life is more about survival.

EDIT: and to blake and WCPHILs, go suck a fat one guys.
Quote by BDR_23

I just don't care for it. It just seems like crap to me. I think life is more about survival.

Hey man, let's not get too upset. Whiskey already covered what needed to be said, I just thought it was an amusing metaphor for your statement.
Quote by blake1221
Hey man, let's not get too upset. Whiskey already covered what needed to be said, I just thought it was an amusing metaphor for your statement.

Sorry man, it's not a good night for me.
Quote by BDR_23

Well, how much of it have you exposed yourself to? A lot of it is crap, such is philosophy. It wouldn't make much sense if everyone agreed with each other.

If life is just about surviving then all we would do is aim to prolong life as much as possible and would only live off absolute basic needs, and the fact that we are able to commit suicide proves that just surviving is not the main drive of (human) life.
Quote by BDR_23

I wish my sig would fit more. People don't like me today.

Sorry dude.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Well, how much of it have you exposed yourself to? A lot of it is crap, such is philosophy. It wouldn't make much sense if everyone agreed with each other.

If life is just about surviving then all we would do is aim to prolong life as much as possible and would only live off absolute basic needs, and the fact that we are able to commit suicide proves that just surviving is not the main drive of (human) life.

Lol perhaps I should not post when I'm angry...... I don't think things through too well.
My life experience has just turned me into a cynic and nihilist pretty much.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Philosophy teaches you how to think about things properly.

Easy tiger. Care to prove that statement objectively?
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Is this some kind of witty joke?

Can you objectively define proper thinking?
Quote by lilboisX3
Can you objectively define proper thinking?

Yes. Any sort of thinking that is active, stimulating, and allows the thinker to grow intellectually.

So, what do I win? Trophy? Great.
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Yes. Any sort of thinking that is active, stimulating, and allows the thinker to grow intellectually.

So, what do I win? Trophy? Great.

Grow intellectually towards what? The apex of current human thought? Philosophers don't even agree with each other. "All philosophers hitherto are idiots" -paraphrasing Neitzche.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I meant in terms of not committing logical fallacies and stuff, I'll admit it was a fairly general statement.

Logical fallacies tend to get in the way of common sense. 9/10 they are apt. However only an over-educated fool uses them absolutely.

What you meant to say was: philosophy teaches you to debate within the confines of acceptable academic discourse.
Last edited by lilboisX3 at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by lilboisX3
Grow intellectually towards what? The apex of current human thought? Philosophers don't even agree with each other. "All philosophers hitherto are idiots" -paraphrasing Neitzche.

I'm not talking about the ideas our thinking leads us to, I'm just talking about the thinking itself. Or maybe you are, too. I don't know. I'm new to the whole discussing philosophy thing.
Quote by lilboisX3

Logical fallacies tend to get in the way of common sense. 9/10 they are apt. However only an over-educated fool uses them absolutely.

What you meant to say was: philosophy teaches you to debate within the confines of acceptable academic discourse.

Common sense tends to get in the way of philosophy are you one of these "it's all subjective" shmucks?
Quote by BDR_23
Philosophy is useless, it has no meaning outside the human world. Rocks can't fucking think. All these thoughts are just chemicals in the brain. We create our reality and ideas just to comfort ourselves and affirm our place in the world. Everything is about survival. We are animals. And frankly I would act like an animal if our society allowed for it. But even though we think we are civilized, we really aren't, considering how we act towards each other. Our intelligence is our downfall. But some idiot is gonna say "Oh that's just an excuse to be dumb". No, it's condemning our arrogance while pointing out that we are supposed to act like animals. Animals don't think, they act. I'm a radical this way.

For someone who thinks philosophy is useless, this is a very nihilist post.

Anywho, my New Years Resolution is to take up that challenge to read the Bible every day for 10 minutes to have it read in a year, but I also intend to keep a journal to summarize, analyze, and (where necessary) criticize it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
I'm not talking about the ideas our thinking leads us to, I'm just talking about the thinking itself. Or maybe you are, too. I don't know. I'm new to the whole discussing philosophy thing.

Plenty of people think. There is no inherent value in that.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
Common sense tends to get in the way of philosophy are you one of these "it's all subjective" shmucks?

Those people are idiots. Reality is objective. Your interpretation and evaluation of reality is...well you know.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
For someone who thinks philosophy is useless, this is a very nihilist post.

Anywho, my New Years Resolution is to take up that challenge to read the Bible every day for 10 minutes to have it read in a year, but I also intend to keep a journal to summarize, analyze, and (where necessary) criticize it.

I think I will take up reading the bible and studying the Abrahmic religions. Reading slackers post about religion has me curious.
Quote by BDR_23
I think I will take up reading the bible and studying the Abrahmic religions. Reading slackers post about religion has me curious.

his posts and blogs will make great supplements for them. I plan on reading the Qur'an and Tanakh at some point in my life too, it's just easier for me to read the Bible, I have a NIV version.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by blake1221

Harland says it seems that Portia can see where it has to get to in order to start its journey and ignore distractions along the way. This impression was strengthened by the fact that on trials where Portia made a wrong choice, it often gave up on reaching the first high bend of the wire – even though the bait was not yet in sight. It was as if Portia knew where it should be in the apparatus and could tell straight away when it had made a dumb mistake.

D'awwwwwwwww
In my heart I'm with you

every night
I really want to study and read up on philosophy but I don't know where to begin? Don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by blake1221
I know right..just look at them :3

I want one
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by Niiko
I really want to study and read up on philosophy but I don't know where to begin? Don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction?

We had to read this for college: http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Eyewitness-Companions-Stephen-Law/dp/1405317639

It's pretty good if you're a total noob, it gives a very general and simple explanation into each of the branches of philosophy. We were also told to avoid Bertrand Russsell's A History Of Western Philosophy.

Or if you're not bothered buying that, just read shit online and watch youtube videos and argue with people in this thread
Quote by WhiskeyFace
We had to read this for college: http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Eyewitness-Companions-Stephen-Law/dp/1405317639

It's pretty good if you're a total noob, it gives a very general and simple explanation into each of the branches of philosophy. We were also told to avoid Bertrand Russsell's A History Of Western Philosophy.

Or if you're not bothered buying that, just read shit online and watch youtube videos and argue with people in this thread

Cool, thanks for that.

I also came across an app for my iPhone that has these included:
* Discourse on the Method by Rene Descartes
* Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes
* An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding by David Hume
* Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion by David Hume
* Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Morals by Immanuel Kant
* An Essay Concerning Human Understanding by John Locke
* Second Treatise of Government by John Locke
* Utilitarianism by John Stuart Mill
* Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche (translated by Helen Zimmern)
* The Republic by Plato (translated by Benjamin Jowett)

Are these a good start too or should I avoid them until I've studied more?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by lilboisX3
Easy tiger. Care to prove that statement objectively?

The study of philosophy is nurturing to the curious mind and creates an environment conducive to analytical reasoning.

Quote by Niiko
Cool, thanks for that.

I also came across an app for my iPhone that has these included:
* Discourse on the Method by Rene Descartes
* Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes
* An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding by David Hume
* Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion by David Hume
* Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Morals by Immanuel Kant
* An Essay Concerning Human Understanding by John Locke
* Second Treatise of Government by John Locke
* Utilitarianism by John Stuart Mill
* Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche (translated by Helen Zimmern)
* The Republic by Plato (translated by Benjamin Jowett)

Are these a good start too or should I avoid them until I've studied more?

Every graduate philosophy student will have read all of those books before getting their PhD, I bet. And they're all reasonably simple except for Nietzsche. You need help with those two to truly understand them.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by WhiskeyFace
It's not really a position you'd aim for though, unless you wanted people to think you were 'edgy'.

There could be some truth in this but you have to take into account that it started just as a joke between me and my neighbour in that class, when he liked the first two changes I have made. I wasn't actually planning on showing them to other people until we found out you can achieve lulz that way. Even now, only the guys in my class know of them.

But again, I can keep telling myself one thing and subconsciously thinking the other. Maybe it's just an attempt at being edgy, maybe not.

But fact is that I've never taken myself seriously enough to think about these as something more than a joke.

I wasn't trying to show you how 'dark' I am - and I'm not at all - but just presented an example of how overly positive things irritate me sometimes.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by WhiskeyFace

I know one or two people with that book, but what is wrong with it?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
his posts and blogs will make great supplements for them. I plan on reading the Qur'an and Tanakh at some point in my life too, it's just easier for me to read the Bible, I have a NIV version.

If you're going to read those, I suggest you read the Tanakh first, then read the Christian New Testament, (because the Tanakh basicaly is the Old Testament) then read the Qur'an.

Each one had a certain amount of influence on the next, which is easier to see when they are read in order of release. It's kinda like reading Star Wars from 'Episode I: The Phantom Menace' onwards instead of from 'Episode IV: A New Hope.'
Quote by SlackerBabbath
If you're going to read those, I suggest you read the Tanakh first, then read the Christian New Testament, (because the Tanakh basicaly is the Old Testament) then read the Qur'an.

Each one had a certain amount of influence on the next, which is easier to see when they are read in order of release. It's kinda like reading Star Wars from 'Episode I: The Phantom Menace' onwards instead of from 'Episode IV: A New Hope.'

Same basic plot too.
Quote by captaincrunk
I committed to saying that whether it worked or not.

It's true though, there are quite a few similarities. For instance the story of Satan's fall from Grace into Hell and the story of Anakin Skywalker turning to the dark side and being left in a lava flow by Obi-Wan, then there's the whole good vs evil thing and the eventual victory of good.

Darth Vader could also be analagous to the Antichrist in the Book of Revelation.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
It's true though, there are quite a few similarities. For instance the story of Satan's fall from Grace into Hell and the story of Anakin Skywalker turning to the dark side and being left in a lava flow by Obi-Wan, then there's the whole good vs evil thing and the eventual victory of good.

Darth Vader could also be analagous to the Antichrist in the Book of Revelation.

I hadn't any plot points in mind. I was just thinking the basic themes. Struggle against human nature, etc.
Quote by captaincrunk
I hadn't any plot points in mind. I was just thinking the basic themes. Struggle against human nature, etc.

Yeah, agreed, that's the main similarity, the overall theme of a struggle, but there are several similar plot points too.
Take Darth Vader's attempt to tempt Luke Skywalker to join him for example, quite similar to the tempting of Jesus by Satan. Luke is pretty much written as a Messiah figure, a figure of hope for the future.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Dec 30, 2011,