Sup foo's, (feelin ghetto).
So I've been playing in drop c lately, and wanna try out drop a and b....but I'm playing with 10's........I've been looking at some Dunlop Heavycore heaviest (12's)....would these work?
yeah, those would work, or you can get ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms, but make sure your nut is fit for those, when i put on heavier strings, it broke the nut because the strings were to thick for the slot.
I like EB beefy slinkies, 11-54's. I've taken them all the way down to drop a on my 24.75" Ibanez S and they've always felt fine.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
What he said.

Typically if your nut is too small for heavy gauge strings you just shave it down with a nail filer and your good, just realize that if you go back to lighter gauge strings it might be too loose and cause buzzing. Usually isn't an issue though.

I mix it up and put 12's from the E-D and from G-high E put 11's, helps if you still want to play leads easily.
I use 13's for Drop B and it still isn't heavy enough for me

Anyway, like everyone else said...make sure you file you nut for the gauge or you'll have a lot of issues.
Quote by unet
I use 13's for Drop B and it still isn't heavy enough for me

Anyway, like everyone else said...make sure you file you nut for the gauge or you'll have a lot of issues.

LOL WUT. What brand are you using, just curious, because that just doesn't make sense and really should not be.
Quote by guitarhead911
Sup foo's, (feelin ghetto).
So I've been playing in drop c lately, and wanna try out drop a and b....but I'm playing with 10's........I've been looking at some Dunlop Heavycore heaviest (12's)....would these work?

Buy a 7 string and quit worrying about it...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Malice26
What he said.

Typically if your nut is too small for heavy gauge strings you just shave it down with a nail filer and your good, just realize that if you go back to lighter gauge strings it might be too loose and cause buzzing. Usually isn't an issue though.

I mix it up and put 12's from the E-D and from G-high E put 11's, helps if you still want to play leads easily.

yep, exactly, thats why i get earnie ball skinny top heavy bottoms, i can still solo fine, and i can play me some parkway drive.

yeah, dont file too much, only a small amount should be fine
The Dunlop Heavy Core set is good for Drop B. For drop A I would honestly suggest using a bass string for your low A.
It's really, completely about your preference. I use the Dunlop Heaviest Heavy Cores for drop C, and the lowest string still isn't tight enough for me. Some people like the way loose strings feel. Some people like me like ultra tight strings.

With that in mind, know that all suggestions here are pure opinion. Just because someone says a gauge of string is thick enough doesn't mean it will be for you.

There's some custom string sites out there where you can order whatever sizes you want. I may have to start doing that myself.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i just got some of those because they were super cheap at guitarcenter,it was a a sale or something. anyways i play in drop a# and drop b and i don't think these are heavy enough for it. i usually use not even slinkys but i feel like those aren't big enough either, they're the biggest set i can get without ordering online. although, my guitar has a 24.75 scale so it needs a larger gauge to keep tension.
its a preference thing really, personally i like em tight (ayoo! ) and others like em loose. try them and if you don't like them try something else.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Yeah, I agree with the guys who are saying preference is the biggest factor here.

I use 12s in C# and drop B, there's no way I'd use 12s for drop A. But you might feel differently and there's no way to know without trying one and seeing how you like them.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think