So the other guitar player and I in our band swapped pedals cos we ended up having much better tones. He's using a Marshall 100w with a Boss Metal Zone and I'm using a Roland 80x with a Boss Overdrive/Dist.

Recently my amp has been very temperamental any pedal I put into it just refuses to sound good. I'm using a noise suppressor cos my amp had REALLY bad feedback now using the noise gate my tone is completely drowned out, **** all crunch. Now using the Dist pedal the tone sounded good at first but now it's sounding complete crap, you can either get a horrible fuzzy tone or a low farty tone.

I'm just concerned that I may have to get a new amp cos I hope the speaker in the amp isn't blown or is it the pedals I'm using cos cos can't really afford a new amp atm.

Any suggestions that doesn't involve getting a completely new rig?
what marshall?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wouldn't even run a dirt box into a Roland 80x Must sound like poo.

I mean, it has it's own distortion..
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
O lord, let it not be a MG!

Quote by Guitarbaddie

+1 This
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by Guitarbaddie

That's what I was thinking the amp just does not take outside equipment which sucks balls cos at a gig it's gonna be loud so the feedback is gonna be difficult to prevent
Quote by StormanNorman
Haven't a clue

MG, AVT, VS, Haze

IMO, anything non-tube marshall is bad.

Honestly, try using your amp without the pedals. The roland has the Boss effects in it anyways.

As for your friend, tell him to sell everything but the guitar and get a Vypyr 60 tube and maybe a sanpera II, both used.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I literally used my Boss Metal Zone as a door stop for the past 5 years. Sell that piece of junk or use it strictly as a slight OD.
Quote by leavehercrying
I literally used my Boss Metal Zone as a door stop for the past 5 years. Sell that piece of junk or use it strictly as a slight OD.

slight OD through Roland 80x is still a wat?

Don't even bother.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I agree with you, Roland's distortion is much better on it's own it's the feedback problem during practice is main issue now think I might use the noise gate until gigs cos the amps wont be up full blast they'll turned up through the PA speakers
Quote by Guitarbaddie
slight OD through Roland 80x is still a wat?

Don't even bother.

While I agree with the "don't put a distortion pedal in front of a modeler" argument, I must admit while practicing on my cube at Uni I often use my GT-OD and actually using certain settings it sounds reasonable.

Anyway a broken speaker shouldn't be causing feedback, and you shouldn't be having to rely on a noise suppressor such that it's ruining your tone.

Have you made sure your guitar and leads are up to scratch and working? Also generally speaking both those pedals are not very well liked and wont stack up well with the gear you're using.
are your pickups potted? have you checked to see if you get feedback on your friends amp?

does he get feedback through your amp?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
So.. you're having problems with your tone using pedals out front? Take the distortion pedal outta the mix, it's pretty pointless on a Cube. Now the noise gate.. which pedal are you using? Some of these are known tone suckers to start off with. Also, are you using a power supply or a battery? The Boss noise gate sucks a battery down like a glass of water in hell.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by AcousticMirror
are your pickups potted? have you checked to see if you get feedback on your friends amp?

does he get feedback through your amp?

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?