In need of a new amp

Budget? 300 to 400 pounds

Genres? blues, blues-rock (led zeppelin and black sabbath really)

New or Used? either will do

Home or Gig? - home but would like to be heard over drummer

Closest City? - manchester

Current Gear? - gibson sg special faded, no name 10 watt amp
Simple and straight to the point. I like it.

I recommend the Jet City JCA50 but have found them rare in the UK on my own searches. Though online stores should work out ok.

A used Marshall JMP if you can find one at the right price will work, as will a JCM900. I used a rehearsal studio that had a JCM900, I played some Sabbath and it was fantastic.

Also dont rule out modelling amps like a Vox VT-50
THANKYOU someone that's given me an answer and not been like "lol wuts a pound"
For the style you are going for, a peavey classic 30 would probably be perfect. They get compared to fender twins all the time, but cost alot less. I don't know about there, but in the US you can get them super cheap used. Plus those things last FOREVER!!
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Last edited by guitarguychris1 at Dec 29, 2011,
I actually really like my Carvin X60 (it's the el34 model with the hotrod mod). It's tone (at least to me) is somewhere between a Marshall and a Mesa, but I've got mine to sound great for both Zep and Sabbath. They're cheap as hell over here in the States, but I'm not sure what the market is in the UK since they aren't in production any more.

EDIT: Maybe a used Laney would be more easily attainable for you. That's what Tony Iommi used, IIRC. I'm not sure what model to recommend though, as I'm not very familiar with them beyond that. Anyone else know what would sound best for that?
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Dec 29, 2011,
Hey, not far from Manchester here myself. Take a look at the thread started by me in this section, called something like "new practice amp for Gibson SG". Got some pretty good suggestions in there from other players; am particularly liking the Fender at the moment, so may be getting that soon. Let us know how you get on.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
See? Didn't that help?

A Laney VC-30 does classic rock / blues rock pretty well.
You should be able to find one used near Manchester fairly easily...look it up on gumtree or whatever.
+1 to unet. I was going to suggest a Laney myself, although one of the GH or VH heads. In fact, I know that a user on here, Tom 1.0, is selling a used Laney VC50 for like £260 or so. It has some wear and tear, but I know he fixed a lot of it up. send him a PM. Tell him I sent you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
TS maybe if you had created a decent thread and had given us the proper informaton last time then you would not have gotten stupid answers.
my thread wasn't that bad really i had all the same information the only difference being it was in a sentence but maybe sentences are a bit too confusing for you....
Quote by jonasbana
my thread wasn't that bad really i had all the same information the only difference being it was in a sentence but maybe sentences are a bit too confusing for you....

I love it.

TS is right...he DID have some (not enough though) info , it just wasn't ordered properly.
People were being dicks there.

TS, it's your fault as well for not reading the sticky about New amp threads.
+ 1 on Peavey Classic 30 or the Laney VC50. The VC50 is really versatile too.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
searched for the laney vc50 on google and it's like it doesn't exist no shops selling it or anything, i know that guys selling it but i wanted to read some reviews etc?
It's basically a VH100R combo, 50watts though. It's discontinued. I'd say reviews for the VH100R applies to the VC50, in general terms.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
people seem to love the vh100r so im guessing the vc50 is good seems a bit strange buying something for 300 without hearing it at all though
oh yeah i didn't remember about tom's amp. if it's in good nick, it should be pretty sweet (i've only tried the vh100r head).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My friend offered me a valvepower 18 watt with a blackheart cab for 300 is that better than the laney?
Did you really need two of the exact same thread open at the same time?

I realize there were a bunch of idiots in your first thread, at the beginning, who think that the US is the only country on the planet, but there was no need to make an identical thread, the people who weren't acting completely ignorant were giving you decent advice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i didn't notice till i made the new one it wasn't like LOOK AT ME i just thought my first thread was pretty much over
Quote by Tom 1.0

Buy mine.

I'd do it if I lived in the UK.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by jonasbana
My friend offered me a valvepower 18 watt with a blackheart cab for 300 is that better than the laney?

depends

I have a laney gh50L too, which is basically (far as i'm aware) the od channel of the vh100r.

the laney is more versatile. And it sounds british/marshally too.

the valvepower is less versatile than teh laney, but absolutely nails those lower gain vintage marshall tones. that being said, the laney gets incredibly close, too (it's basically a modified jcm800).

if i only had the one amp i'd probably go with the laney on the basis that it'll cover way more ground, and will do teh lower gain stuff almost as well as teh valvepower. Depends on what you mainly play, too, of course.

EDIT: though if it's your mate and he's handy the obvious thing to do is try the valvepower to see what you think of it. tell him that you haven't decided, but if he doesn't mind, you'd like to try it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 29, 2011,
dave raies a good point, try the 18w and see what you think of that, it might be what you fancy.

Quote by jonasbana
definitely considering it

I would, its a cool amp.

50w, 2 channel with independant EQs and boosts on each channel. Has a bright switch and resonance control.

It can pretty much nail all the stuff your after and can pull off a few heavier things, its basically a few marshall in one.

This one is pretty heavy, but its a big combo, thats to be expected.

Its also got 2 G12 65s which as far a I am aware are higher wattage Greenbacks....

Its a nice amp to be fair, if it werent my brothers, it wouldnt be for sale lets put it that way.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb